Audio Switching Relay Recommendations

I just came across this power supply connections where you can see an alternative way to soldering and crimping that I had forgotten that I had already seen (I don't know how it is named though).
I'm wondering what is the technical/electrical reason why on an industrial level in the construction of an audio device (CDP in this case) that kind of connection is preferred (twisted wire).

2.png

Concept stereo receivers used this technique. They are 80s equipment, high end, well made and mass produced.
It was one of the best sounding receivers, the 4.5, Ive heard compared to marantz, sansui, jvc, dynaco and some others..,.
I think there might be some magic to wrapping wires that way, but later on after less than a month, it blew half of the power transistors and I haven't found the problem yet.
Very interesting amps with all sorts of cool parts which were uncommon.

Something with the contactor switch was acting up on it, sometimes it would just work out of the blue, but then it went into thermal runaway and that was it.

Reactions: 1 user
Crimping induces metallurgic hardening, It will actually change the structure of the metal crystals. I think that this does effect sound and will compress and NOT reduce the resistance in the signal path.

Silver soldering is ultimately preferred, and in that instance, you would see less resistance than lead and lead free soldering joint.

Crimps do not cold weld. I have cut many factory crimps apart and you will see the strands are not welded. You cannot cold weld it when there is oxidation on the surface.

Do you know common practice for power generation plants and highly critical applications? Crimp AND solder. Its called parallel redundancy.
Dang. I need to redo all my micparts mic builds with silver solder. :D

I would be running dc power from a nice size battery bank that can supply a virtually infinite amount of current (as far as the mosfets are concerned)...
Wall worts be gone! Will I need to rip open my RME interface to bypass the AC? :D

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
That's simply wire-wrap. A fast, cheap way of connecting flying leads to terminals. A real pain to service as if you remove the wire, it tends to break where the edges of the square peg is. I desolder the peg (wire wrap terminal) and pull it from the PCB. Much easier and remains reliable.

Hi Jean-Paul,
Yes, high current connections would probably melt solder for one, and crimps withstand vibration much better. The bolted terminals are either a crimp or bolt (in the sleeve) attachment. But soldering flying leads is also very common in low current applications.

For networking and telecom the wires are typically connected by insulation displacing "knives" (IDC) where the insulation is held (except with horrible "66" blocks). Not really a crimp, and the knives are soldered onto a PCB (could be a backplane in patch bay strips). This is all about speed of assembly for low voltage, low power.

-Chris