Audio Precision AP Analyser series

Disabled Account
Joined 2012
yes, that is correct -- all stock with no crutches... see what they look like in the nude. I am OK (for now) to get clean data without spurious junk along with it.

I have the unit open now, I can look at the adc p/n. probably will go to 32 bit in future if that can help a little more. Next, I'll power up the Vicktor osc and see what it reads on the A-P.... if anything.

Just doing a bunch of comparisons between adc's at the moment.

Thx-RNMarsh

Disabled Account
Joined 2012
The ADC is buried somewhere.... there are three stacked pcb layers on the left and three on the right side.
I see a lot of AD parts..... like AD797 opa's.
[ If curious - The analog section uses thru hole parts -- mf resistors and caps. While the digital uses sm parts.]

-THx RNMarsh

AP2722-192KHz.jpg

Last edited:
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Disabled Account
Joined 2012
Been real busy with other things occupying my time... Like getting last minute house repairs done before winter sets in.

Well, I found the hardware parts to the IM pcb-kit. Now I can put that IM feature in it next. button it up and get back to the WIN8 and A-P software issues... going to try it on my old XP next and see if it works better/normal. Then, I'll get back to A-P on improving the performance of the A-P, if possible. Looking forward to doing multi-tone tests on whole system and IM tests etc

THx-RNMarsh

Last edited:
AFAIK, the System Two platform, both hardware and software, is considered "end of design life" by now. Unlikely that AP will introduce any significant changes for it.

FWIW, a simple way to get a more quiet system overall is to outboard the mains transformer.

AFAIK, the System Two platform, both hardware and software, is considered "end of design life" by now. Unlikely that AP will introduce any significant changes for it.

FWIW, a simple way to get a more quiet system overall is to outboard the mains transformer.

I have no indication that there would be any significant hum induction from the mains transformer, so I'm not sure why this modification should do any good..?

Samuel

Well, we got 10..15dB reduction of mains components in the noise floor with our company's 2722 when we were assessing the perfomance of a Jung style super regulator. I think this will be somewhat different among units as stray fields are highly dependant on the exact winding geometry. Of course the mod will void warranty so it's at your own risk to do it. AP confirmed that they are aware of that issue and admitted that the noise floor might (and often will) be improved.

We recently undid the change as the unit needs to be transportable and for most measurement tasks the improvement is insignifcant, but I'll be using the cable assembly for my personal 2322, hoping to see a similar reduction. Will try to post before/after measurements when I get to it.

I had to 'outboard' the mains transformer also on my AWA F242A D&N set.
I thought I had an internal psu fault until I moved the transformer.
I found a null position but not practical to mount the transformer in that physical orientation, so outboard it went.
This gave me about 12dB lower noise floor.

Dan.

Last edited:
If one is going to the trouble of out-boarding the power transformer of an AP, I wonder if out-boarding the rectifiers and supply caps might also be worthwhile - to eliminate charging current pulses from within the chassis. Essentially then, one would bring in clean DC from an outboard supply to the AP. It might be easier to leave the original raw DC supply components inside the AP, intact but disconnected. Then bring in clean DC from outside supplies. I'd have to look at the schematics to be sure about feasibility. In my home workshop I have a SYS-2322 among other sensitive test equipment items. Being a stickler for adequate work space lighting, I use several very intense fluorescent lighting fixtures above the workspace and also under the first shelf above the bench top. The ballasts radiate enough EMI that I can hear buzzing in FM tuners on the workbench. So I shut off all these lights, opting for some dim incandescents, when making precise noise or distortion measurements. The AP seems refreshingly immune to this EMI, but, just to be sure...

AP uses industry standard connectors (JST) for the secondaries so it was quite easy to move the tranny without any soldering or other more intrusive modification. I guess the net benefit of moving diodes and caps as well wouldn't be worth the effort.

... I guess the net benefit of moving diodes and caps as well wouldn't be worth the effort.

Yes, I just found some photos I had taken inside my AP and I see that there are more secondary windings and associated raw DC supplies than I had recalled. As you say, the transformer connectors are a "snap" but the diodes and caps are numerous and soldered in place. I'll have a look at the similar SYS-1 PS schematics (SYS-2 schematics not being released yet) to see what's there.

Old But Good....

Good , practical and useful info -- I'll try moving transformer while the unit is still opened up and being worked on. 12db is a lot to me.

Tx-RNMarsh
It's a lot to me also.
I could not understand why I could not get specified distortion measurement from my USB soundcard.
When I shorted the DNM input and listened to the residual output port all was revealed.

The power transformer was mounted to the side panel, near the back corner.
It turns out this transformer position was about the worst possible, and moving/rotating it changed but did not cure the problem.
This investigation lasted for about a minute before the 'outboard' decision was made.

I had bought this 25yo ex military (barely used, if at all except for calibration days) only two days beforehand, so I was relieved when I was able effect a simple cure to what I thought was a board fault.
My father has the same test set, and I think his has the same built-in 'fault'.

This auto-nulling test set measures down to -80db/0.01%/0.1mV fullscale range, so not the best possible but still quite useful.
The huge winner is the fast auto-nulling and the big VU meter :cool:.

Dan.

Disabled Account
Joined 2012
I havent seen the issue show up yet on the A-P but I am not down all the way with it yet and so have the option you suggest if/when the time comes. The A-P uses a toroid power transformer and is shielded with a boxed in cover over the whole supply area.... but it seems easy to do.

-RNM