Audio Note Kaisei capacitors

Account Closed
Joined 2018
Yes, but this only indicates the outer foil. I wish other manufacturers were also consistent with this.

Not arguing that most parts and in particular wire sound better in one direction, just not understanding the dc charge thingie.

I have re-wired and restored many amplifiers over the decades.
And I have yet to even notice any hearable or performance difference just using standard capacitors over those expensive, cost-bloated "audiophile" capacitors.
It's all internet-driven nonsense to me.

I know what a capacitor is supposed to do in a circuit, and what it doesn't.
But marketing hype/advertising invents all sorts of magical properties that cause me to laugh and shake my head.

Maxx134,

I would love to hear your experience with Audio Note Kaisei Non Polar
did you try In other application than cathode bypass
what value and voltage
do you recommend using bypass to flatter heavier bass and warmish character
I would say that the non polarized caps are closer to blackgate, due to being thicker, but no loss of clarity...

It still sounded good in the Cathode caps position, yet I needed a more neutral/linear cap, with clarity....

So I ended up with the Nichicon muse caps, which was what the stock designer had (at a lower voltage) in that specific position, which was the Cathode cap (tube amp).

The important thing for me I learned, is that the higher voltage rating of 50v gave me better transients than the stock 25v..
;)

which Nichicon Muse - KZ or ES
can you briefly compare selected Nichicon Muse with pros and cons to Audio Note Kaisei

I would say that the non polarized caps are closer to blackgate, due to being thicker, but no loss of clarity...

It still sounded good in the Cathode caps position, yet I needed a more neutral/linear cap, with clarity....

So I ended up with the Nichicon muse caps, which was what the stock designer had (at a lower voltage) in that specific position, which was the Cathode cap (tube amp).

The important thing for me I learned, is that the higher voltage rating of 50v gave me better transients than the stock 25v..
;)

Yes, but this only indicates the outer foil. I wish other manufacturers were also consistent with this.

Not arguing that most parts and in particular wire sound better in one direction, just not understanding the dc charge thingie.

Just give it a try Analog_sa. I cannot expain why but it really does work, it's like electrons are flowing much faster & better. Lol

;)

Yes Maxx in most caps I've notice the difference in sound example Nichicon Kz 25v vs 50v 1000uf world of difference. Hence most of the caps I used even for low voltage are 50v versions.

I am planning a project using very small caps, and decided to go all Audionote & kaise caps.
Simply because they are the latest design and all the other brands are years old now.
Weak argument but I am going by their claims that they're better than elna for audio.

No Nichicon at all

This cap thread reminds me i have never ever tried CDE caps. A disproportionate number of high end designs use them, but for some reason (too many fan boy threads? :) ) they are not popular among diyers. Next time i order parts i shall get a few. The dilemma 85° vs 105° rears its head again.

Those are just too different. If you like the Silmics they are probably not for you.

I like Silmics in some places, but I liked BG much more when they were available... I just don't like green Nichicon BP when they are directly on the signal path. I find them too bright and harsh.
When I was building my tube pre I had no choice other then Silmics so I guess I'll give Kasei a try...

Well for what Audionote is asking for I'll surely will stay away. LOL. Having said that, I've played with Black Gates for sometime in low voltage applications. They aren't that transparent but what's so different about it is their to die for bass & the ability to make instruments etc sound more real. Myth or Hype well
to each his own I guess.
I am surprised when people say that Blackgates are not that transparent.I find them to be just the opposite.You cannot expect to hear the full advantage of Blackgates by using a few in source equipment and then listening via an amplifier which is not modified similarly.All my equipment including amps have Blackgated power supplies which produce a very detailed and dynamic sound.
I must be honest and admit though that at times they sound too detailed in that they show up the slightest grain,harshness etc. in source material.

Well for what Audionote is asking for I'll surely will stay away. LOL. Having said that, I've played with Black Gates for sometime in low voltage applications. They aren't that transparent but what's so different about it is their to die for bass & the ability to make instruments etc sound more real. Myth or Hype well
to each his own I guess.
I am surprised when people say that Blackgates are not that transparent.I find them to be just the opposite.You cannot expect to hear the full advantage of Blackgates by using a few in source equipment and then listening via an amplifier which is not modified similarly.All my equipment including amps have Blackgated power supplies which produce a very detailed and dynamic sound.
I must be honest and admit though that at times they sound too detailed in that they show up the slightest grain,harshness etc. in source material.

You always have to specify the series. I use N when space does not allow for a big coupling film and would say they err on the side of slight but pleasing dullness and mild dynamic compression.

Never warmed up much to the sound of the standard series in power supplies. Fast, detailed, dynamic, cold. Initially impressive, always ended up removing them. They have, to my ears, an instantly recognisable sound which you either love or hate. In this regard the Kaisei appear better.

Analog-sa, I get where you are coming from;just a matter of taste but I love that warts and all sound most of the time,just sounds more realistic to me.The speakers I use are refurbished actively driven Apogee Duetta Sigs which further enhance any faults in source material.An interesting anecdote about Blackgate caps;Bruno Putzeys tried some of the big 10000uf in his Ncore prototype and said the results were "stunning".

You always have to specify the series. I use N when space does not allow for a big coupling film and would say they err on the side of slight but pleasing dullness and mild dynamic compression.

Never warmed up much to the sound of the standard series in power supplies. Fast, detailed, dynamic, cold. Initially impressive, always ended up removing them. They have, to my ears, an instantly recognisable sound which you either love or hate. In this regard the Kaisei appear better.

I agree. But not only the series, but also the place of application. I just loved NX series in old CD out as coupling caps. Night and day to stock...

I bought a used PS Audio GCPH (Underwood Modified). It used Nichicon FG for output caps, it was REALLY bright sounding. I installed a pair of Kaisei and am now a happy camper. The highs are sweet, but the mid is exceptional, the bass is not too deep but it is tight. It was a nice upgrade.

which Kaisei are you talking about - Non Polar or standard, voltages ?

I bought a used PS Audio GCPH (Underwood Modified). It used Nichicon FG for output caps, it was REALLY bright sounding. I installed a pair of Kaisei and am now a happy camper. The highs are sweet, but the mid is exceptional, the bass is not too deep but it is tight. It was a nice upgrade.

The Kaisei caps apparently will form the basis for the Blackgate replacements which Rubycon are working on.Their introduction is being delayed due to the difficulty in manufacturing the powdered carbon separator with consistant results.The original equipment that made the separators was scrapped after BG production ceased in 2006.