Audio Note Kaisei capacitors

Put Kaisei caps on a Krell KSA100 MK2

They were very smooth sounding. I like them more than Mundorf but ultimately I felt they robbed the dynamics a but by being so smooth.

I went over to some Vishay caps, blue in colour, can remember the model number but they were far better.

Reactions: 1 user
I've been mucking around with passive components for a long time. Putting aside the sound etc. all components have a certain sonic signature. Taking caps for instance, what sounds good on 1 location does not equals good sound when used everywhere. For bipolar caps, I've always found that by connecting the positive leg of the cap to the ground plane on a positive supply line to sound better.

Cheers

do you bypass bipolar caps
which type are you using

I've been mucking around with passive components for a long time. Putting aside the sound etc. all components have a certain sonic signature. Taking caps for instance, what sounds good on 1 location does not equals good sound when used everywhere. For bipolar caps, I've always found that by connecting the positive leg of the cap to the ground plane on a positive supply line to sound better.

Cheers

Aaaaah Analog_Sa that is what everybody assumes. Go use a Dvm to measure the cap, you'll see one reading will be in positive & the other in negative. To be accurate if there's only millivolts in the cap, then use either a 1.5v battery or whatever low voltage stuff you got on hand, just charge up the cap & measure. This too applies to film caps

Cheers

Aaaaah Analog_Sa that is what everybody assumes. Go use a Dvm to measure the cap, you'll see one reading will be in positive & the other in negative. To be accurate if there's only millivolts in the cap, then use either a 1.5v battery or whatever low voltage stuff you got on hand, just charge up the cap & measure. This too applies to film caps

Cheers

Sorry, Sumotan, do not get what you are saying :eek:

If i charge a cap with a battery it will retain that same polarity, right?

Hi Analog_Sa,
Charging the cap is just to bring up some voltage for you to measure the cap. Caps will always retain some voltage in them but to measure what I spoke off it's more accurate to get the caps into volts rather then milli volts as that will give you the wrong reading.
The effect that one gets from connecting positive to ground is clearer overall sound & better prat more dynamic. Be it on PS or decoupling it is easily heard.

Cheers

Just FYI:

When I noticed that one lead on Reliable Capacitor's RTE polystyrene caps was shorter than the other I wondered if it was significant -- if these caps were directional. I couldn't find any discussion or advice about this so I simply asked Reliable.

The new owners said that other than the fact that "The shorter lead is just where one side wraps around one end and along the body of the cylindrical cap before it is placed in the potting case" they weren't sure. In other words, as far as they knew it was just an artifact of manufacture.

That said, they also indicated that they were going to investigate the benefit of marking the caps "to designate the outer foil side" if evidence indicated that it was significant.

There are fools born every minute who invest in such nonsense, it keeps the money flowing based on myths and hype.

Well for what Audionote is asking for I'll surely will stay away. LOL. Having said that, I've played with Black Gates for sometime in low voltage applications. They aren't that transparent but what's so different about it is their to die for bass & the ability to make instruments etc sound more real. Myth or Hype well
to each his own I guess.

Put Kaisei caps on a Krell KSA100 MK2

They were very smooth sounding. I like them more than Mundorf but ultimately I felt they robbed the dynamics a but by being so smooth.

I went over to some Vishay caps, blue in colour, can remember the model number but they were far better.

Really interesting. I would also place the Kaisei above Mundorf in speed and dynamics but would never expect and industrial cap to beat them. If you recall the Vishay model i'll order some samples immediately :)