Audio Nirvana Fullrange 8" super alcino plus

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Seriously !? Clearly small to no knowledge of the material properties bleated about in those statements.
Read up some?
A Quicky update cuz I'm momentarily Bored.
Ferrite is Mag capable iron powder pressed into shapes. It's the cheapest mag material known.
Makes a sharp Bass impact as an easy identifier.
It also ..loses flux with time. Proven and measurable by it's tenth birthday.
Samarium Cobalt is basically Ferrite with a bit of Cobalt powder mixed in.. better than Ferrite but not by much, Just a bit more of the same..despite hype.
Neo is definitely powerful..Big Flux in a small package.. but it scatters it's domains (demags) Permanently! with Heat..
not much heat either. Boiling water will demag most Neodym.. albeit it's temp threshold is quality /price dependant.
However as Neo costs significantly More than Cobalt !
Unlikely Speaker makers are fitting the yet pricier higher temp tolerant grades.
Alnico is Heat immune to 800C and has an alleged 2000 yr shelf life, before flux loss is measurable.
It's flux also deforms under heavy loads (Guitar speakers at Max volume as as quick example) Softening the sounds impact.. some find this pleasing.
Alnico is unaffected by this 'abuse' as it self heals/realigns it's domains once the load has eased off.
Musicians Prize this sound softening and can't be damaged characteristic.. a lot.

Regardless, IMO.. It would take Cloth ears to Not identify a speaker by
it's Motor's Characteristic sound signatures

You stand correct,,, I have very limited knowledge and that’s why I joined this forum, for help from experts like you.

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
I tried to and I received a message telling me you don’t accept private messages.

I said email not PM, and that was for MP9) althou Scott has added some Sonindo that should be suitable for Jane FH.

Sonido SFR-175A, SFR-175, SFR-200, SFR-200a should work well, SWR-200, SWR-200a should be acceptable.

Can you also tell me what the rep for Sonido is saying?

He is saying that you should download some free modeling software and figure out how to model these simple boxes yourself. The shape of the curve is more important than the reach. You know approx what the volume of your enclosure is. And you can always make it smaller on the inside if that is how things work out.

Personally, my experience would have me looking at 8” or smaller. My favorite size is 4-6”, but the Sonindo 6x9s look VERY interesting.

dave

I know it's been a while but I'd like to post a little update. I decided to go with Lii Audio drivers and order the Fast 10. My Fast 10 arrived on Friday night and the first thing I can say is they are beautifully made. The material around the cone is a little sticky but they are brand new so what does one expect. I hooked them up to a brand new receiver I bought at best buy, just to break them in, and they sound AMAZING: Good highs, mids and the bass is decent which I know will improve over time, and once I put them in a box that I am building and the DAC I will be buying in addition to the tube amp I will have built, I expect this to be better than …..

congratulations - they look like very nice drivers !

if the material around the cone stays slightly sticky this isn’t a bad thing as it helps reduce and dampen certain parasitic oscillations - I added a layer of silicone glue as a thin smear around the back edge of my audio nirvana Cone for this reason - of course the stickiness will attract dust

Last edited:

Will do that. Going to be testing the box for the next several days. That’s an image of the enclosure laying down.

It’s going to beautiful, at least I. My household. The novel I’m writing is inspiring me to be creative.

Attachments

• EB7D0D8F-5A5C-4C4F-BD75-BD1430B7C7B7.jpg
    EB7D0D8F-5A5C-4C4F-BD75-BD1430B7C7B7.jpg
    706.4 KB · Views: 265
congratulations - they look like very nice drivers !

if the material around the cone stays slightly sticky this isn’t a bad thing as it helps reduce and dampen certain parasitic oscillations - I added a layer of silicone glue as a thin smear around the back edge of my audio nirvana Cone for this reason - of course the stickiness will attract dust

Thank you for the tip.

Slow and steady. I don't have the tools to build my speakers to I have been working on them when I can and when I find someone who lends me their tools/shed. I mounted the drivers and tested them without the fiber stuffing and without the top and bottom glued on. The front that I have right now it just to test the design and ports.. But these speaker sound awesome. I believe once I get the fiber stuffing In I will get more bass. As is I took it to my friends high-end home audio shop and used the same equipment that he uses to power his 10K dollar B&W's and I will tell you right now the only thing lacking is the deep bass. Mids and highs sound better than the B&W and this was according to him. Again. once I complete this speaker I know there will be more bass. Probably not as much as the B&W but I will be fine with that.

Attachments

• Snapchat-1319201569.jpg
    Snapchat-1319201569.jpg
    525 KB · Views: 751
Hi I was stoked to find your thread about AN speakers. I bought the 12 inch ferrites in early 2018 and put them in the 44 X 14.75 X 18.75 box per Dave's plans, who by the way was a pleasure to work with. I also bought his EL84 too. I see you went with something else, but I thought you might want to hear from me anyway.
I haven't been home long enough to really give a good listen to the setup, but so far the sound is the best I've ever heard! I'm very happy with AN. I haven't had a lot of time to enjoy my stereo, I've been away. But that doesn't matter. I'll get plenty of time soon enough to kick back and enjoy the music and if I find it lacking in some way I'll try taking the backs off the boxes like Bigun suggests. Who knows maybe Ill build a baffle?
Well anyway, just wanted to say I'm out here.....enjoying Audio Nirvana's ferrite 12 inchers and the AN EL84. They sound wonderful to me! I also want to say I enjoyed the read and will finish Bigun's thread. GO BIG OR GO HOME!
Thanks guys for the information that you folks exude so effortlessly. I mean that in a good way:) Happy listening
JJ

Hi I was stoked to find your thread about AN speakers. I bought the 12 inch ferrites in early 2018 and put them in the 44 X 14.75 X 18.75 box per Dave's plans, who by the way was a pleasure to work with. I also bought his EL84 too. I see you went with something else, but I thought you might want to hear from me anyway.
I haven't been home long enough to really give a good listen to the setup, but so far the sound is the best I've ever heard! I'm very happy with AN. I haven't had a lot of time to enjoy my stereo, I've been away. But that doesn't matter. I'll get plenty of time soon enough to kick back and enjoy the music and if I find it lacking in some way I'll try taking the backs off the boxes like Bigun suggests. Who knows maybe Ill build a baffle?
Well anyway, just wanted to say I'm out here.....enjoying Audio Nirvana's ferrite 12 inchers and the AN EL84. They sound wonderful to me! I also want to say I enjoyed the read and will finish Bigun's thread. GO BIG OR GO HOME!
Thanks guys for the information that you folks exude so effortlessly. I mean that in a good way:) Happy listening
JJ
Thanks for the post. Yeah, I went with something else. The main reason is because I heard the actual drivers online before I purchased. I searched and search for the actually AN 12" for a listen but couldn't find them online. Nonetheless, I love my speakers. Ill be posting a youtube video once Im done.

Thanks for the post. Yeah, I went with something else. The main reason is because I heard the actual drivers online before I purchased. I searched and search for the actually AN 12" for a listen but couldn't find them online. Nonetheless, I love my speakers. Ill be posting a youtube video once Im done.

Are you happy with the lii audio? They certainly look nice.

I see you found an audio nirvana demo online.

YouTube

I like the sound of the audio nirvana (at least online). The sound warm but could definitely use some baffle step.

Are you happy with the lii audio? They certainly look nice.

I see you found an audio nirvana demo online.

YouTube

I like the sound of the audio nirvana (at least online). The sound warm but could definitely use some baffle step.

Yes, I am very happy with these drivers... at least so far. My speakers are still being built and as we speak I am about 65% done with my build. But based on my current build, it sounds very good. I took my half built speakers to a high end shop and the owners listened to the speakers for about 30 something minutes. This tells me They enjoyed the sound. I mean if the sound was crappy I don't think the owner of a high-end audio shop would spend that much time listening to the speakers. Not only the that, they had tons of questions like, "where you get your speaker design specs from?" etc.
At the end they were in smiles and shook my hand.
I also have a friend who has a high-end shop and he said they sound about as good as the high-end B&W he had in his shop that was going for over $10K. Im not reallhy giving him a lot of credit in his words because he's a friend and may be saying this just to make me happy.

Have a pair of Audio Nirvana classic 5” in small ported boxes with Seas 1” dome tweeters crossed at 8K pointing up at the ceiling to prevent comb filtering drop outs, lovely balanced sound running ten watts pure class A and a subwoofer

I've been using the peerless tc6 as a midtweet pointed up at ceiling. Using a shelf filter to add a little to the top end. I am startng to think that as ugly as these things are pointing up at the ceiling, its the best thing to do in a small room.

Yes, I am very happy with these drivers... at least so far. My speakers are still being built and as we speak I am about 65% done with my build. But based on my current build, it sounds very good. I took my half built speakers to a high end shop and the owners listened to the speakers for about 30 something minutes. This tells me They enjoyed the sound. I mean if the sound was crappy I don't think the owner of a high-end audio shop would spend that much time listening to the speakers. Not only the that, they had tons of questions like, "where you get your speaker design specs from?" etc.
At the end they were in smiles and shook my hand.
I also have a friend who has a high-end shop and he said they sound about as good as the high-end B&W he had in his shop that was going for over $10K. Im not reallhy giving him a lot of credit in his words because he's a friend and may be saying this just to make me happy.

From what I can tel they seem to have a nice sound. A driver in a box will naturally have a rising response. Theres a free program called equalizer apo that can do any filters you want before the signal reaches the amp (if you use a PC as a music player).

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.