Audio Nirvana Fullrange 8" super alcino plus

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Honestly, when someone like Scottmoose keeps telling us why he thinks so and so driver will present problems, I listen.

Thank you for the recommendation. A big part of it is also the customer svc.

I will search for the ones you recommended and see what they are about.
Those Sonidos sound nice but I dont see a price list and half the content is written in a different language.

I've been getting frustrated waiting for a proposed alternative BLH build plan for A12p and started to look at other drivers. I had sent a PM to Sonido to inquire about where to buy the drivers, Istvan responded that day. I'm sure he would answer any and all of your questions and concerns. Here is what he told me:

"SONIDO Varga Istvan
Hello,
You can buy these drivers (SFR 175/A) directly from me. You can reach me at:
info@sonido.hu

Best Regards,
Istvan Varga
SONIDO"

The design is done; I can't draw it however, and Dave's health is such that he is not able to dedicate much time to audio at present. It will be released, but I can't say when.

The AN range have, I'm sure, many excellent qualities; however, unless they are exempt from the laws of physics the rest of the universe is obliged to adhere to, as noted, I would use those as a guide in the design stages. As noted though, I will refrain from offering any further thoughts on the subject.

As a brief OT aside, Sonido have a good reputation & I've had my eye on their units for some time.

Last edited:
Honestly, when someone like Scottmoose keeps telling us why he thinks so and so driver will present problems, I listen.

I've been getting frustrated waiting for a proposed alternative BLH build plan for A12p and started to look at other drivers. I had sent a PM to Sonido to inquire about where to buy the drivers, Istvan responded that day. I'm sure he would answer any and all of your questions and concerns. Here is what he told me:

"SONIDO Varga Istvan
Hello,
You can buy these drivers (SFR 175/A) directly from me. You can reach me at:
info@sonido.hu

Best Regards,
Istvan Varga
SONIDO"
You are correct. The rep at Sonido responded. The next step for me is to hear a demo of the 12" he recommended. SWR 250/FC (10") can safely recommend you NEW drivers and these are Field-Coil drivers. This is when instead of a magnet they have an electomagnet, creating a magnetic field using a constant power supply unit. The power sourse has a regulator, this allows you to change the current.
By changing the current, you can change the quality factor, which allows you to use these drivers in 4 options: horn, closed box, vented box and OB.

Thanks for the links, didn't occur to me search such a subject. Anyway, all my 'adventures' in magnetism was small DC motor design back when our only go-to was Union Carbide and later, NASA Tech Briefs.

GM

A/D/S used samarium-cobalt magnets on their 320i car tweeters in the 70's/80's, the first small surface-mount design I remember seeing. IDK if it was used in any home speakers.

The design is done; I can't draw it however, and Dave's health is such that he is not able to dedicate much time to audio at present. It will be released, but I can't say when.
Can I ask the overall L x W x D of JANE horn?

Also, would it be possible for you to send me a freehand sketch of the plan with clear measurements and angles? I could then draw plan myself, send it back to you to check that I got it right?

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
...waiting for a proposed alternative BLH build plan for A12p...

Poke taken to heart. Here is a teaser. Scott is QCing it. This one was a tough one. Took many iterations to get here. Then someone needs to build it to see how well it works.

attachment.php

About 27x96x55 cm (wxhxd)

designed with the Alpair 12p in mind it should work with Alpair 12pw, FF225wk, Dayton PS220 (just), Tang Band W6-2144, and W8-1772

dave

Attachments

• Joan-snap2.png
    Joan-snap2.png
    10.6 KB · Views: 843
Poke taken to heart. Here is a teaser. Scott is QCing it. This one was a tough one. Took many iterations to get here. Then someone needs to build it to see how well it works.

About 27x96x55 cm (wxhxd)

dave
Nice! :)

I could do a beta build only I don't claim the experience with the type of design to critique them well.

Btw, I also like the driver cut out proximity to the top for doing A12pw with a tweeter/horn super tweeter or ribbon in open air on top of the cabinet.

Can someone please decipher this and explain to me in layman’s term? “Hi Alex,

Please find the simulation in attachment. This is a simulation in my recommended box, these are drivers SWR 250/FC play from 38-39 Hz -3dB and in your box ( the sizes you sent me) play from 41-42 dB -3dB

Significant difference between these boes I do not see. I recommend these drivers for your desidn.
Drivers SFR 175 I do not get this box, they need a lange box.
Best Regards,
Istvan “

What preceded the statement was me asking the folks at Sonido if the 12” can be used in a box I’m designing which would be 33” tall, 17” long, 16” wide.

In one breath it seems like he’s saying he doesn’t see a big difference in my design vs his proposed design. But in another breath he’s recommending a different driver size.

Thank you folks.

You are very correct. I may be going with the ferrite and use left over money on a good DAC or something. If the Alnico is better, it would only be by 5% and barely noticeable.

Seriously !? Clearly small to no knowledge of the material properties bleated about in those statements.
Read up some?
A Quicky update cuz I'm momentarily Bored.
Ferrite is Mag capable iron powder pressed into shapes. It's the cheapest mag material known.
Makes a sharp Bass impact as an easy identifier.
It also ..loses flux with time. Proven and measurable by it's tenth birthday.
Samarium Cobalt is basically Ferrite with a bit of Cobalt powder mixed in.. better than Ferrite but not by much, Just a bit more of the same..despite hype.
Neo is definitely powerful..Big Flux in a small package.. but it scatters it's domains (demags) Permanently! with Heat..
not much heat either. Boiling water will demag most Neodym.. albeit it's temp threshold is quality /price dependant.
However as Neo costs significantly More than Cobalt !
Unlikely Speaker makers are fitting the yet pricier higher temp tolerant grades.
Alnico is Heat immune to 800C and has an alleged 2000 yr shelf life, before flux loss is measurable.
It's flux also deforms under heavy loads (Guitar speakers at Max volume as as quick example) Softening the sounds impact.. some find this pleasing.
Alnico is unaffected by this 'abuse' as it self heals/realigns it's domains once the load has eased off.
Musicians Prize this sound softening and can't be damaged characteristic.. a lot.

Regardless, IMO.. It would take Cloth ears to Not identify a speaker by
it's Motor's Characteristic sound signatures

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.