Audio Nirvana / Common Sense Audio Full Range

OK ,,, so now I'm looking at these "Lil Audio" speakers ,,,, looks really cool,

T
They might be enjoyable, but the spec sheet is nonsense.

This is a typical 8" full range driver's response (Fostex FE-208 Σ unit, graph from Rutcho's website).

http://rutcho.com/speaker_drivers/default.html

Rutcho has measured lots of FR drivers, and ALL of the big ones look more or less like this.

1654214669272.png

Here is a measurement of a more expensive, but similar 8" FR:
1654214238324.png

(an 8" Lowther unit, from Troels web site).

Any large and efficient full range drivers that is measured clearly will have a plot like this (more or less). They ALL have ragged response.

Some pepole like how they sound, some don't, but the raw response is what it is. Anyone who pretends that they measure flat is lying.

Another DIY site (Martin King) shows FR graphs of some similar 8" Lowthers

1654214353987.png

Notice how King's graph looks a bit nicer and smoother than the previous graphs?

He's not lying. They look different simply because of how the info is presented: the data is more smoothed than Rutcho's (1/12 octave), and the left (SPL) axis is different, hence the bumps and dips look smaller. In reality, these abberations are not smaller.

If you peer into the data, you can see that Troels' and King's graphs show similar things - the same dip at 3.5kHz and the same 10+dB spike around 10kHz - Troels's graph just has more detail.

The "Lil Audio" spec sheet doesn't show any detail. No spikes or dips at all.

They have used such extreme smoothing on their graph that it is essentially meaningless.

Following the concept, What about an 8-inch full range, crossed at say 500hz with another 8-inch bass-specific woofer? what would a cabinet for that look like.

T
As a noob, if you wanted to make an 8"+8" system, I think your best bet would be to clone an existing 8" project, and then add an 8" sub.

e.g. something like Martin King's finished 8" project:

http://www.quarter-wave.com/Project04/Correction_Filter.html

1654216996296.png

It could be improved simply by adding adjacent 8" boxes (as seperate subs), to fill in the gap < 200Hz.

For such a project, I'd recommend dialing the subs in with a DSP + measurement mic.

This commercial example uses a kinda similar layout:

https://www.osbornloudspeakers.com.au/epitome

Last edited:
If you want a big fullrange driver, the best i heared (and i heared a lot) is strangly enough the cheapest one, the Fane Sovereighn 12-250TC. I use it in a big 175L reflex cabinet tuned to 30hz and with some filtering on the top (that is needed) and then it shines. This only works on low power, but as the driver is in reality 98dB sensitive 20W (the maxi would throw at it) is already eardeafening loud. Dispertion is off course not that good as the driver is very big for treble, but much better than the rest i heared and even 45° off axis it's still sounding good.

But in general, 4 to 6" drivers are better. My personal favorites are the Mark Audio drivers, and those can give solid bass in the right cabinet (mostly TL types). Smaller than 4" lack bass (but could be used in a waw like suggested above).

The dispersion, being limited, maybe in your favour for stereo depending on room. I wanted wide dispersion and the Audio Nirvana driver I used has a whizzer cone that provides amazing dispersion, you can sit well past 45deg off axis. In a stretch, you can think of it as a 4" driver with 15" woofer coaxially aligned. Thing is, published FR curves for these kinds of full range drivers are never that great in the treble so you've got to search around for listening impressions to find out which drivers have been tested 'by the crowd'. I have ears that don't like peaky treble but the Audio Nirvana drivers create nothing but bliss so as Dave once told me - you can't rely on the FR to tell you the sound and I now see why. The Fane is superb in terms of price (the last time I looked was years back though) but I don't know if everyone has been satisfied by the treble and have been relying on 'toeing' to make them workable long term. No such issue with the AN Super 15. No, I'm not trying to 'sell' you on the AN driver, I just want to encourage some reading around for more opinions on sound. The concept works with AN and Fane, and the Chinese drivers - i.e. with the right driver, a 2 way is simply not needed unless you are making a disco.

Reactions: 1 user
I have a pair of the Audio Nirvana 12" cast drivers. I have used them both in sealed and open baffle. I enjoy them on vocal, acoustic jazz, etc. They give that sense of performers in the room realism. Like any speaker the room set up and removal of first reflections is important. I have owned many nice speakers over the years. These are fun speakers. I mate them with Goldwood 18" sub's and crossover at 70Hz. There is something to be said for very high efficiency and large displacement speakers that sets them apart from others and renders a different audio experience. In the overall scheme of high end audio these are cheap and easy and mate well with low powered amps. Have fun.

I have a pair of Audio Nirvana 12" Alnico speakers in the Common Sense Audio recommended speaker cabinets powered by 8 watt tube mono blocks. All the bass and volume I desire. However, being a DIY audio perfectionist, I built Dick Olsher's OB3 Open Baffle Loudspeaker using the Scandinavian Audio Lab (SAL) full-range driver and Hawthorne woofers and upgraded crossover capacitors. Much better detail in mid and higher frequencies.

I've had a pair of Audio Nirvana 15" ferrite in an open baffle for over 10 years. I actually add in a serious bump in EQ below 80hz to compensate for the open baffle loss. I've never heard a more satisfying speaker. I've been incredibly happy with them. I've owned retail speakers over $10,000 and prefer these. Just to give another perspective.

I recently emailed the Common Sense guy and he said he has redesigned the 8" and the 15" and the performance outshines the older ones substantially. I may have to try the new ones, as the price is reasonable.

• Thank You
Reactions: 1 user