Audio Amplifier (TDA7297) getting too hot..

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
MP3(GPD2856C)+AMP(TDA7297)+Speaker(10W 4Ohms) Module

Hello guys,

I am a newbie to this, and trying to build a simple mp3 player module using GPC2856C(mp3 decoder), TDA7297(audio amp), and 10W 4Ohms speaker. As you can see in the pictures, I simply purchased two modules and put them together.

1. I took out the built-in amp from the MP3 decoder board, and connected the audio signals (+ and -) into the input and ground of the AMP board.

2. Connected the speaker to the AMP board.

Result: Everything works fine. I can hear a clear and loud sound of music that is read from the SD card thanks to TDA7297.

Problem: TDA7297 chip gets really hot. I can probably keep it going for a few minutes with the power control knob in the middle state (there is a knob I can spin to control how much power will be used which results in volume change). But it gets so hot that after a minute that I can't touch the heatsink with my fingers. I know that amp usually gets warm in performance, but I am not sure it's supposed to get this hot. Please give comments if I did anything wrong here!

Thanks,

* the pdf is not exactly the right one but it's very close to the mp3 board (GPD2856C) and I was able to sort of understand how the board works

Attachments

• picture1.jpg
    picture1.jpg
    350.1 KB · Views: 389
  • picture2.jpg
    picture2.jpg
    327.6 KB · Views: 376
  • GPD2856C_schematic.pdf
    139.3 KB · Views: 139
Last edited:
Hi guys,

I need some help on using my audio amplifier module, TDA7297. It's working fine but it gets really hot while it's operating. Basically, I can't touch the heatsink after a few minutes because it's too hot. I took measurement of the current and it went from 200mA up to 1A, sometimes. I am not sure if it's supposed to go this high. I am afraid I might burn the chip. Is it supposed to get this hot? Am I doing something wrong? Do I need a bigger heatsink?

GPD2856C MP3 Decoder and Play Board, w/Amplifier - ElectroDragon

Above link shows the module I am using.

Please give me any advice or ideas! Thanks.

Thank you for leaving comments. And I apologize for posting two threads for the same topic Mooly.

The amp does NOT get hot with no music. Only when I turn on the music and raise the volume up, the amp starts to get hot. (with high current reading).

I am putting about 17V for the amp.

I am basically reading music files off a SDcard and connecting the audio signals to the inputs of the amp module.

picture1.jpg
[/url][/IMG]

picture2.jpg
[/url][/IMG]

Above are pictures of the full system.

Thank you for your help!

Last edited:
I use these modules all the time, NEVER power them over 12V, they are meant for car use.
The more recent ones come with larger heatsinks and still get warm.
Also, 8 ohm speaker is the minimum I would use and ensure you arent grounding the speaker to the power anywhere as these are bridge amps and that will make them overheat also.

Hope this helps!

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.