audible benefit to flush mount 8" ? (nt)

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Well edge diffraction is in effect a secondary time-delayed radiation source, the interaction of which with the direct radiation from the drive unit causes nulls & peaks. in the overall frequency / amplitude response. Which underlines the point that flush mounting drive units which are designed to be used that way is always a good policy providing you have the tools and ability to do it.

Yes, it's effectively a very early, possibly quite high level, reflection which is supposedly detrimental to image location particularly at the frequencies involved. The effect on the frequency response is also there but probably not the cause of the image blurring/degradation.

Last edited:
Yes, it's effectively a very early, possibly quite high level, reflection which is supposedly detrimental to image location particularly at the frequencies involved. The effect on the frequency response is also there but probably not the cause of the image blurring/degradation.

What mechanism are you referring to? Since as noted, I have no wish to waste my time, or yours, in speculating.

Could it be tried on an existing baffle with a foam core overlay or would foam core alter performance audibly.

Sure. Variations have often been done. I don't know if foam core has been used, but certainly thin wood plys, MDF and materials with higher damping properties have like soft corks, felts & other cloths, suede etc. have all been used. The latter is probably the more useful approach. Foam core will be leaning in the latter direction, which is not necessarily a bad thing providing it's laminated to a suitably solid core.

One sub-variation I recall was a chap who built a set of Lynn Olson's Ariels from BB ply. He didn't have a router to flush-mount the drivers, so he scored through individual layers of ply with a craft-knife, then carefully removed each with a chisel. Obviously more patience and skill with hand tools than I have (granted, that isn't difficult), but it worked fine

'Page 5' (with all the dark inevitability of Greek Tragedy) is a page of text, which contains six independent paragraphs. Either state specifically what you are referring to, which is not a difficult task, with the conclusions you are drawing from it and the reasons for these, or stop wasting my time. I am not a mind reader, and I refuse point blank to speculate, infer, or assume what you may, or may not be thinking.

Personally, I would not build speakers without flush mounting drivers and radiusing baffle edges. Its relatively easy once you are set up to build.
I like flush mounting as it really improves aesthetics. In my case it's an existing pair of 6" Karlsons that I modified recently.

I also have considered turning some rings on the lathe similar to those used on the Eliptoflex of Lafayette days of old but have no way of evaluating the result. However I may add overlays.

'Page 5' (with all the dark inevitability of Greek Tragedy) is a page of text, which contains six independent paragraphs. Either state specifically what you are referring to, which is not a difficult task, with the conclusions you are drawing from it and the reasons for these, or stop wasting my time. I am not a mind reader, and I refuse point blank to speculate, infer, or assume what you may, or may not be thinking.

The paragraphs are related, I don't consider it a difficult task to understand what he is saying. Basically the diffraction is like a very early reflection that is detrimental to imaging. Do you not think this is what's happening when people say reducing diffraction improves imaging?

True, but also the way the information is received and then processed is different, I don't think the analogies work well. Earl's explanation strikes me as a likely one when you consider what people report about the audibility of diffraction.

Perhaps a stereoscope would be a better analogy, how does the brain make sense of that and how easily is the image distorted?

Last edited:
it's slightly more ragged in the highs. I did test it years ago (with the first pair of Alpair 10.3 that i used) to see it myself, and it's minimal (+/- 2dB in my test), but it's there. But it's not dramatic i said before, so not worth to think about it much for me. If you can't easely flush mount, don't bother that much. With most drivers, with a small bezel, it will be even less than with the Alpair 10.3 that has a big bezel that is 1cm thick. There are many factors that are way more important than that. But it's not that there is no difference.

Eek, thank you.
Not what i wanted to hear, lol.

Diffraction in horns, sure.
Surround a dome tweeter in felt (dunlavy), sure, i would not not do it.

Probably want to not frame the box either then like actual fern & roby "raven".
Dang it.

Attachments

• raven3.jpg
    raven3.jpg
    267.3 KB · Views: 78
Last edited:
The sound from two speakers in a room listened to through two ears is going to be subject to multiple reflections and interference, the FR is averaged between the ears and smoothed in the brain. The timing issues are more relevant to the audibility of the edge diffractions involved with surface mounting drivers as opposed to flush mounting.

So Earl speculates in the pdf paragraphs you are very loosely referring to. However, they are also written in highly generalised terms, sans data, in line with the intent, and title of, the document (it being a simplified presentation of his design philosophy), so it is largely a matter of his opinion being presented, rather than fact per se. While he covers the matter in more detail elsewhere, it, and the HOM concept for that matter remain subjects of debate. What I'm finding more puzzling though is that you joined the thread implying flush mounting & diffraction effects do not matter, yet appear to have spent some time since then arguing the opposite. It makes it a little difficult to hold a useful conversation when directly contradictory stances appear to be given (no doubt inadvertently), so perhaps you could clarify what your views are.

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.