Audibility of Distortion Listening Test...FUN!

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
-27db.
Sony MDR-V150 ($20 @ Super Target IIRC), whatever soundcard is on this MB.
I'll have to repeat it with my M-Audio MobilePre and a decent set of phones.
After having my ears cleaned of course:D
I'd like it if the tracks were a little longer (maybe 10 more seconds?) too.

cheers,

AJ

Disabled Account
Joined 2007
AJinFLA said:

I'd like it if the tracks were a little longer (maybe 10 more seconds?) too.

I get it within the first couple or three notes most of the time. I don't let it get to the vocals.

Attachments

• a1.gif
    a1.gif
    62.2 KB · Views: 485
Interesting test.

My results here are with the Creative EP-630s in-ear and my Peltor hearing protectors over my ears. Earbuds plugged hooked directly into the motherboard line-out and master volume near minimum due to driver sensitivity. Motherboard is just a middling Asus A7N8X without the special nVidia sound chip.

Initially I was disappointed at failing around -15dB when I realized that ambient noise may have been preventing my reach. Even though the ear-buds are supposed to be isolating they only work to about -12dB or so. The Peltors are supposed to add 20-35dB over the A-weighting so at least -30dB for ambient which is mostly the PC fan.

I wonder if it is possible to get the various test tones on a CD for testing with really good equipment.

:)ensen.

PS: I got the EP-630 because some say it is the same as the Sennheiser CX-300 or the Sharp MD-33. Cannot say, but they are quite good for the price.

Attachments

• screen01.jpg
    screen01.jpg
    44.2 KB · Views: 454
Fell out at -30 twice. Heard a difference at that level, but picked the wrong one. This was on an on-board sound processor and old wooden cone Yamaha powered computer speakers. I also wish the samples were longer. It was harder to remember and grasp the character out the distortion at lower levels with brief samples.

I'll just post the results. It may be a fluke, or i might have actually been able to pull that off. it was the way the bass and brushed snare sounded that helped me the most. although, i admit, it took a lot of switchting between the two to get it.

PCL82-based SE Tube amp, terratec DMX6fire 24/96 sound card, DT770Pro headphones.

Attachments

• statses01.jpg
    statses01.jpg
    74.6 KB · Views: 286
Joined 2006
Paid Member
MJL21193 said:

I've ran this test numerous times and I've never had a problem. Could it be an uninstalled plugin or such (like Java) that's preventing the test from running?
Hi John - Checked my program listing and found out that I have like about 6 versions of Java installed!!! Hmmmm perhaps they are tripping each other up? :xeye: I don't seem to have any problems with programs that require Java - those apps seem to run OK.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.