Audax HM130Z0/Z10? opinions? anything better in a similar vein?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Since Audax drivers seem to be back again Ive been looking to replace my 'old' AP130ZO, with the HM130Z0/Z10 that I wanted but couldnt afford at the time they were originally sold here in the UK.

The intended use is for a small 2 way monitor, tweeter undecided as yet. Now BOTH of these drivers are a little restricted at the low end due to low Qts, but im interested in anyones experience with these drivers. They are more different to the AP's than I had first thought, in fact the AP130ZO I have now produces quite alot of bass F3~55Hz, either of the drivers i mention above would be alot leaner.

The attraction to these drivers is their extended response and very controlled HF rolloff, and the aim is to mate them with a tweeter as low as possible and as low order filter as I can realistically get away with. The extremely low MMs is also very attractive to me.

So, has anyone had these drivers? any opinions? or any alternative drivers out there worth considering with similar attributes? (low mms, 88-90dB, very smooth extended HF rolloff) Or should i just stick to the AP130ZO i have now?
Thanks in advance for any help you can offer.

AP130ZO
I used this driver 15 years ago. With a friend we made a small bookshelf.
We use a small neo tweeter, soft dome, look like the TM025C3
My friend changed it to the AP130G2, a more natural midrange sound. The crossover was very simple, first order.
These plastic AP series is not successful in my opinion... We tweaked the driver by making small holes in the part between the magnet and the spider. Easy to do in a plastic driver. It ventilates the motor ;) Better sound.

Something similar ? No idea. Aerogel is something very unique, very good in the low range.
Perhaps a fiber glass cone ? Peerless or scanspeak ?

You can buy Aurum Cantus in Italy or Germany ?
hifisound eShop   -  HARWOOD ACOUSTICS TM 130 MK II   S

Harwood acoustic = Aurum Cantus ;)

Well I have a pair of AP130Z0 HDA drivers, and the TM025F1 soft dome. crossover essentially cannibalised/stolen from the vance dickason centre channel HT system, WITHOUT the pair of AP210Z0 HDA bass drivers.

Theyre really very good, considering I bought them when they were alot more freely available. Having seen the HM130Z0 and Z10 for sale again, and also the HM170, which i hadnt previously considered, Ive thought about an upgrade to the old speakers.

The trouble I have is that both the HM130Z0 and Z10 have very low Qts lower mms. They would make a nice small bookshelf monitor, but the bass would be limited in comparison to the AP130Z0 i have now in ~15 litres.

I may just try and source some spare AP130Z0, and find a good tweeter upgrade to the Audax soft domes. They arent the smoothest tweeters....

Im even considering getting a spare pair pair of Ap130Z0 and taking the magnet off somehow.... Then I can take it to work and drill a pole piece vent out. :)

at least then, IF it should go horribly wrong, I have a spare pair to replace them.

Last edited:
Im even considering getting a spare pair pair of Ap130Z0 and taking the magnet off somehow.... Then I can take it to work and drill a pole piece vent out. :)
at least then, IF it should go horribly wrong, I have a spare pair to replace them.
Done at least three time with a lot of success ;) I think the spare pair will be drilled too :D

It you look the high end version HM130Z0, the motor has vent and is well ventilated
attachment.php

The AP170
attachment.php

Attachments

• HM130Z0.4.jpg
    HM130Z0.4.jpg
    261.1 KB · Views: 1,365
  • ap130z0.jpg
    ap130z0.jpg
    18.2 KB · Views: 1,394
Good question :)
With a hand drill, it's very risky. Perhaps with a press drill, it's easier, you can limited the deep of drilling.
The better solution is to make the hole with a soldering iron . Drill with heat ;)

poly baskets are handy sometimes!!!

I plan to remove the magnet, cover the mag gap with masking tape. then Clamp in a bench drill, tape facing me, and drill. using tack to remove any swarf in the drilled vent 'hole' before removing the masking and reassembling the driver.

I work in a HV, EM machine manufacture and test facility, so im used to swarf precautions

Thank you Jerome, your suggestions have been very welcome. I am seriously considering: i) drilling magnet pole vent, ii) drilling behing spider vent, OR iii) removing the dustcap, and trying to get a phaseplug made. Its going to be a difficult decision!

Its good to see someone with the same enthusiasm for the HDA drivers as myself :D

Last edited:
The better Audax 130s are, as you've discovered, more midrange drivers than bass. I've been pleasantly surprised by the SB Acoustics range, you might find their 5" more useful.

Yes this is true, for the LOWEST Mms and what would seem the smoothest HF roll off, then the HM range are better. The best would seem to be the HM170Z0, but i wasnt really considering THAT option until i saw the graphs. The SB's are reasonable, Vas a bit large, mms comparable. paper cone? pity...paper is good but i still have a self doped pair of HT130M0. paper just doesnt seem to show the detail quite like the HDA drivers, the difference between the detail is very noticable, at least in the Audax i mention.

Maybe just adapting the AP130z0 would be an improvement, after all theyre hardly BAD drivers at all. slightly more complex to cross, but everythings a compromise. im not sure even if the motor is much different between the AP and HM drivers. the basket already has added damping mods, so possibly venting the spider/airgap may help things slightly. I love the sound of these drivers either way, I just wanted the last drop of lightweight HDA goodness.

Last edited:
Don't get me wrong, I'm not knocking HDA, I love it. The SBs are, well, I'm not sure quite what the cones are, but they do have 90% of that Aerogel goodness. :)

Hahaha no they look good, substantially flatter for another octave over the AP130Z0, but steeper rise after. better mms than the AP's, heavier than the HM's. lower Fs too. probably a paper/composite paper by the appearance.

Its a hard choice. I remember when I originally bought the AP's, several years ago. The only thing I disliked about the high end Audax was that they were all leant heavily to the vented alignments. The attraction of the HM range is the small box volumes. The ones i have now are in 15 litres and tuned a little lower than SBB4 so F3~55hz, but could actually be lower still. 120hz F3 in a vented box is no good, and awkward for a sub too. I could get similar with the AP in a closed box. Thats why the Z4 dual VC look interesting. im not sure realistically how far I can tune Qts by shorting the 2nd coil with a resistor, but they may be worth experimenting with.

I guess the thing I dont know is if i would notic the difference between the HM and AP aerogel drivers. if i had the AP in a sealed box F3~110hz, and the HM in a vented box F3~100hz (fairly realistic guess-timations), would I really tell the difference, in anything other than the bass rolloff? given the same tweeter and x o point.

Last edited:
hmm interesting Fabel

No ive not used wavecore drivers before, but ive considered Nomex drivers before. The limitation of my feeble mind cant get over Nomex' original use as electrical insulation :D
they seem comparable to the seas? Scanspeak? Slightly cheaper? Mind like a sieve.

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.