Audax HM130Z0/Z10? opinions? anything better in a similar vein?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I guess im just itching to buy something new
but some of these look interesting.

Seas W22NY001

INteresting driver. Of all the seas I can find, Stranglely this one is the one im drawn to...

Fostex FW 137

Another interesting driver cheaper than the Seas...Qts is a bit low though.

Mivoc look like they could be interesting, although the ones ive seen dont typically have a smooth roll off...

haha yes apologies. Im looking for a driver fs 40-55hz, low mms. Intention is to be able to xo >4k for use with a foundtek or other ribbon, maybe the neo1. Optionally to write that idea off and xo low, <400hz and low order, to a cone tweeter.
So extended and flat response woofer with a fairly smooth roll off. Hence why the davis driver appeals excepting the price tag. Maybe an alpair10 would be worth a look. Forgot about them, but was trying to avoid metal cones.
Seas driver above appealed due to the fairly uniform rise in the mids, could be levelled with a choke, cap to knee the filter.
Fostex was a similar aim.
In all honesty im not sure what i was thinking with the Mivoc

Last edited:
Bah I ended up losing everything I was typing... so here I go again.

A high xover point such as 4khz does definitely mean you're looking for a driver with a well designed soft cone.

One of the more recent drivers that would work well in such an application would be the 15W8434G00 from scan speak.

Scanspeak-15W8434G00-FR.gif

Scanspeak-15W8434G00-HD.gif

They don't come much better then that, except that if you crossover at 4khz you will probably need a notch filter to get rid of that small bump. Here though lies the main issue with using a driver of that size up so high, you really are pushing things to the limit. Don't get me wrong it's easily doable and if done right would sound very good, however you could do better if you want.

The ideal solution, given your desire to keep most of the midrange to one driver and crossing higher or low, would be to go for a three way. The scan speak 10F is an amazing tiny driver and it seems like it was built entirely for the kind of loudspeaker you wish to build.

Scan-Speak-10F-4424G00-FR.gif

Scan-Speak-10F-4424G00-HD.gif

You really cannot ask for something better, a very smooth and extended response, very low HD and it is also tiny. C2C spacing and off axis beaming are always issues when crossing over high and the 10F effectively means that these aren't going to be much of a concern. Yes it would require a bass driver, but you could use the AL130 for that.

As I said before, a 4khz xover to the 15W8434G00 would also work very well, it would be far less expensive and a lot easier to design. You could go one better and do a three way with the 10F, but that brings about issues of its own.

You haven't mentioned what your capabilities are like. Do you have the ability to measure things?

equipment? Well i have winisd for signal gen, dmm and test box so i can take impedance curve to a point where dmm isnt accurate. So also qts and vas.
Have no mic yet for measurements, but alesis phantom mic mixer and an ok soundcard with separate record loop so with software and mic i should be good to go.
Scan 10f does look like the best im likely to get. I was hoping to avoid a 3way, but figured a 2way with a ribbon may be difficult esp xo-ing at 4k. Crossing lower probably wouldnt do the ribbon any favours. Its a toughie, either i cross low with a suitable midtweeter, risk it as a 2way with ribbon, or change tack entirely and find an 8inch or so bass driver to go with scan10f and ribbon. Thanks alot, a great help. Haha im even more undecided now!

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.