Audax Hm100z0

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Still, you have a fair shot with TD 12 S-8.

In a 70 litre sealed box with 13 dB Linkwitz transform gain.
(Fo=53Hz; Qo=0,48; Fp=25Hz;Qp=0,7)
F3/F6/F10=27/20/15Hz

Attachments

• Impedance.gif
    Impedance.gif
    10 KB · Views: 223
  • SPL.gif
    SPL.gif
    18 KB · Views: 205
  • Excursion.gif
    Excursion.gif
    9.5 KB · Views: 213
  • Consumed power.gif
    Consumed power.gif
    10.7 KB · Views: 212
The reason I have matched the db on my driver's is so we can design a passive crossover later after I get the minidsp to give me an idea of where to cross and delay etc... It's just easier when your drivers are about the same not as much padding down. Kepp the opinions coming great job of swapping thougjts!!!

Still, you have a fair shot with TD 12 S-8.

In a 70 litre sealed box with 13 dB Linkwitz transform gain.
(Fo=53Hz; Qo=0,48; Fp=25Hz;Qp=0,7)
F3/F6/F10=27/20/15Hz

That's getting very dangerous! I run a 10" SEAS L26ROY in a sealed 30L box, downfire. Some findings by experience: (for dsp systems)
- first with no eq, measure acoustic performance in nearfield and at listening spot. You will see what speaker positioning and room modes are doing.
- be very careful with gain to avoid digital clipping in dsp process! Rather apply attenuation above say 40Hzin reverse (high/low shelf and +/- values total the same).
-measure distortion in nearfield with high output, look and use fingers to estimate excursion!
- Then also apply deep cut-off for subsonics below 15Hz especially if you have a vinyl turntable/RIAA without subsonic filter!

This way I got straight room response starting from 16Hz!

http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/atta...ect-ainogneob-v92-lr-60-vs-100cm-backw-13.png

I used the HM100Z0 in my three-way designs, along with the HM210Z0 bass and ScanSpeak D2905-9300.

The Audax mids are an excellent transparent driver, but have two features that make them hard to fit into most systems, particularly in a 3-way design. Their high sensitivity comes from their stiff suspension, which leads to a high resonance frequency of 250Hz, and this restricts the crossover frequency to at least 400-500 Hz. So you need to match them to a bass driver which is well-behaved at its upper end, and you are also best using a 4th (or higher) order crossover so as not to overload the midrange driver at the lower end of its frequency range.

The other awkward feature is that in a 3-way passive speaker there is a passive gain in the bandpass filter feeding the midrange, which may amount to over 3 dB. So the sensitivity of the midrange goes up from an already high 93 dB to 96 dB or more, making it really hard to find bass and treble drivers to match its sensitivity - otherwise you have to pad down the midrange by several dB, as I had to do.

The alternative is to use it in an active system, which presents very different challenges.

Alex

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.