At what point does omission become fraud?

'Gold' plated audio (or other) connectors from Amazon are often plated with semi-gold color metal alloy, presumably from China. Comparing it to real gold under natural light makes the difference more easily apparent. Filing off a little of the plating often reveals something that looks a lot like aluminum or else some kind of pot metal. Basically its cheap junk, naturally at lower cost than something like Neutrik acquired from Mouser.

You may be an attorney but not an electrician.
You are correct; I am not an electrician. I have read the news of prohibition in new residential housing in the last 3 years of so as I recall, and have also been told this by electricians when I specify that I want only copper cables/wiring in a repair/renovation/new build (my new build was for a house and garage in 2020).

Even if I am incorrect (which I am happy to concede if true), I continue to believe that each person considering the use of using aluminum wire (or buying a house with aluminum wire) should consider the risks of: (i) obtaining insurance in the future (for as long as one own the house); (ii) obtaining insurance at a reasonable cost (think of the analogy of flood insurance and the rapidly rising premiums that are already very high); and (iii) whether the presence of aluminum wiring may act as an impediment or bar to a sale of one's house (i.e., exercise of a contingency or a request that the price be lowered to reflect the cost of installing new copper wire). While we are in a seller's market today, think back to recessions in the past 30 years when a buyers market prevailed. Each person should make their own risk assessment (i.e., YMMV).

PRR

Joined 2003
Paid Member
This is not the forum for this discussion. Take it to Mike Holt's.

Or go to the electric distributor. You will not find small Aluminum in stock. If you hunt "bargains", you may get your butt burned, literally then, as you say, by your insurance.