Assistance with Satori 2 way build

I built a 2 way (WWT) using Satori MW16P-8 and TN29R. I have tried several crossover configurations. There is one thing that is bothering me is that the speakers sound forward. Not necessarily shouty but definitely too forward sounding. I dont want to prejudice any responses so that is why I have not attached any crossover files. I am wondering if there is a certain sound characteristic of these drivers that makes them sound this way. I would say that the region that I am concerned with is 400-1000 hz. (estimating). Would love a discussion to fix this. (BTW I am using XSIM to model this)

Joined 2005
Paid Member
I built a 2 way (WWT) using Satori MW16P-8 and TN29R. I have tried several crossover configurations. There is one thing that is bothering me is that the speakers sound forward. Not necessarily shouty but definitely too forward sounding. I dont want to prejudice any responses so that is why I have not attached any crossover files. I am wondering if there is a certain sound characteristic of these drivers that makes them sound this way. I would say that the region that I am concerned with is 400-1000 hz. (estimating). Would love a discussion to fix this. (BTW I am using XSIM to model this)

Do you have on and off axis measurements? I have not had this be a problem with either the mw16 or mw19. How was the crossover designed? Is it your crossover design?

designs

Ive bounced back and forth between 2nd order and 3rd order symmetrical designs. Yes they are my designs. I find that the forwardness does not change a lot between the 2 designs. My electronics are more than decent enough that it shouldn't be the source. I do not have off axis measurements.

Forward sounding is not the characteristic of Satori drivers.
2way WWT? Hmmm, why not 2.5way?
If you suspect 500-1000Hz area, you can try to increase inductance of the coil in woofer filter, it will push that area down. You can use another small coil in series with the current coil, it is ok for this experiment.

I tried 2.5 way and I prefer the sound of the 2 way. I originally had a 0.5mh coil, then I upped it to 1.2mh. I need to do measurements. I made the change and listened but need to get into measurement mode lol.

Ive included my XSim file. Inm the past I've measured on axis and was able to get the measured response fairly flat but it always had that same sound characteristic. I guess I ran out of steam I have tried multiple xo configurations with no luck. Apologies.

Attachments

• 2 plus 2 sandbox2.dxo
    25.9 KB · Views: 93
Cowan, I believe you hit on a point. I did have baffle step correction in the circuit a ways back but did not include it in my current configuration. I ran the numbers and for a Wb of 11.5 inches, 2 MW1P-8 in parallel

DCR =6.2 ohms --> 3.1 ohm
L .2mh --> 0.1 mh

F = 397 hz

Rbsc= 3 ohm; L bsc= 1.2 mh

Does that look right?

I use around 3mH for a single MW16-8 on a modest sized baffle. Halve that for four Ohms. A two way TMM will have poor lobing performance around the crossover point. I would use 2.5 way for a TMM, that will give you 6dB of BSC automatically, which is pretty close to what a 3mH inductor gives me on a single 8R MW. I don't use a zobel on ths drivers.

2 and half way

cowan, based on the above I come up with this. The thing I am concerned with is the low impedance of 2 ohms. BTW, i did find an error in my files. I corrected it.

Attachments

• 2plus 2 2 halfway.jpg
    2plus 2 2 halfway.jpg
    36.8 KB · Views: 363
This design is not far off the Troels Gravesen SBA761 which used to be open source but recently he removed the values. However if you do a google search an old version of the diagram may come to light (Pinterest). This uses a MW19P as the second woofer but the 19 and 16 are actually quite similar in frequency profile so you may be able to adapt his scheme.

He uses a 2.5 way first order (ish) with one inductor on one woofer an a 2nd order on the second.

SBA-761