• Disclaimer: This Vendor's Forum is a paid-for commercial area. Unlike the rest of diyAudio, the Vendor has complete control of what may or may not be posted in this forum. If you wish to discuss technical matters outside the bounds of what is permitted by the Vendor, please use the non-commercial areas of diyAudio to do so.

Aspen Headphone Amp

Hugh,

I think you should spec out #5 for the official version. Some folks will hack in other stuff anyway. I like the wall wart, if nothing else, because the cord is thinner.

All the rest should be on the board. They won't add much real estate and those options that aren't wanted or needed by the individual, can simple be left off, or bypassed. Again, here, I think Hugh should spec. the tone controls.

Sorry Nico, I wasn't faithful to your format. But I warned you of my weakness and you went ahead and used the word "compulsary", and in bold no less. Of course, you therefore have the full right to ignore all my off form (or in form, for that matter) comments.

Other than the board, I think that the best way to make this simple and attractive, is a complete, and easy to source BOM. If you can make the same part # do multiple duty, all the better. I also like screw on connectors for all parts not directly soldered to the board.

OK. On to the next project: The AKSA DIY RIAA "Chicken Skin" amp. (I don't have the Ry Cooder "Paris Texas" sound track, only a couple of his other soundtracks. But I've great majority of his albums, either record or CD, some both. One of my favorite artists.)

Thanks Pooge, much appreciated. Bdent.com is a good source of unusual semis at a reasonable price, and I have found this transistor as a VAS to be absolutely outstanding.

Progress to date.....

This thread started as a simple Headphone amp. It has grown through multiple input to cross feed, tone controls, virtual earthing, variable output resistor, and is now quite complex. This is a major project, perhaps even more complex than a straight power amplifier. It will be quite bulky, too, with its chokes, and certainly no portable toy!

I made an offer to the DIY crowd to do this for nix. The offer stands, but as of now, no further input can be accommodated. I cannot waste any more time on these decisions when I am trying to run a viable business elsewhere and this project is ballooning. Gareth, please stop the survey, we will proceed from the list of my post # 500 and I will adopt a Baxandall tone control with +/-10dB boost/cut at 50Hz and around 10KHz.

I would like to thank all who have contributed with their guidance and expertise, particularly Gareth and Nico. Watch this space.

Cheers,

Hugh

I am presently working on a tone control and have a topology and interconnection worked through. I'm working now on the simulations and the fine details, and hope, after discussion with other designers, to have something quite soon. The subjective aspects of tone controls are pretty tetchy, but things are looking good.

Cheers,

Hugh