Asking about Power supply #PS1 of Audible Illusions

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I have Audible Illusions Modulus L1 Preamplifier with power supply #PS1.
This power supply works on 120V.

We use 220v in my country, and I heard that the power supply can be used on 220v if the jumper inside the power supply is desolered or soldered. However, I don't know how to do it. So, would you please let me know the desoldering or soldering method.

For your reference, I am attaching the picture of jumper inside the present power supply working on 120v. Thank you.

Attachments

• 120V.JPG
    120V.JPG
    132 KB · Views: 339
I can not find spare cables of output side of the coil.
Moreover, there are only two cables of input side of the coil.
I guess there is no way to use on 220v just by desoldering or solderingof the jumper.
It is used only on 120v.
Thanks for your kind concern in this matter.

Can you check the wiring of the twisted THREE wires passing through the black insulating tube?

Are these the Mains input wires, brn/brn/yel ?
At the other end, they are TWO wires, blk/wht
There is a join inside the insulating tube.

If the transformer is a single primary, you must use the original Mains voltage.
If the transformer is a centre tapped primary, you will have a choice of supply voltage.
If the transformer is a dual primary, you will have a choice of supply voltage AND retain full VA capability.

Last edited:
Can you check the wiring of the twisted THREE wires passing through the black insulating tube?

Right!

If there is inside no other wire then the transformer is only for 120VAC and must be replaced for a 220VAC one...

If there is a third or more wires...just inform us.

Attachments

• UPS_PS1WIRES.jpg
    UPS_PS1WIRES.jpg
    125.5 KB · Views: 99
Last edited:
Hi,

As I marked, blk/wht cables are 120v mail input cables and they go inside to the coil through blk insulating tube. And brn/brn, red/red., brn/brn/yel cables are coming out from the coil. Of course, brn/brn/yel cable and blk/wht cable is not joined. I don't know if they are simple primary, centro tapped primary, dual primary or not.

Thanks to Andrew T and Ghianni

Attachments

• IMG_0146.JPG
    IMG_0146.JPG
    103.9 KB · Views: 93
  • IMG_0148.JPG
    IMG_0148.JPG
    141.1 KB · Views: 85
optical illusion.
I thought the brn/brn/yel came through the black tube.
Are you confirming that only the blk/wht wires pass through the tube and these two wires go into the transformer windings?

I am going upstairs to wire up a dual primary and connect ONE primary via the Tester to measure the voltage on the connected primary and the voltage on the spare primary. I will report back shortly.

using a 244Vac supply into a 115Vac primary via a 42W Bulb gave 145Vac at the Primary winding and the same at the spare primary winding. The secondaries were all terminated in spare terminals of an insulated strip.
Changing to a 25W Bulb gave 141Vac at both the live primary and the spare primary.
In both cases the nominal 15Vac secondaries read 20Vac.

There is a way to power up and measure the voltages.
Build up a Mains Bulb Tester.
Power ON the 110/120Vac transformer from the 240Vac supply VIA the Tester.
The Bulb will turn ON and the voltage at the blk/yel wires will be low.
Measure that blk to yel voltage.
All the other windings are either low voltage isolated secondaries, or a spare pair of primary wires that are similar voltage to the blk to wht.
BE CAREFUL, the transformer is at MAINS VOLTAGE, even though the measured voltages are very low.
See if you can identify the spare primary winding using this lowish voltage (but LIVE) test

Last edited:
Hello!

I have an Audible Illusions Modulus 3 that run at 220V.
Don't know if the L1 power supply is the same of the M3 but If you are interested I can open my psu and take some photos of it.

Let me know!

CIAO! :)

Hi,

Thank you very much for your reply.

Nine cables (2-red, 2-green, 2-brown, 1-yellow, 1-black, 1-white) are connected from my transformer, and the part number of tranformer is #4929-B .
I attach the picture of it.

Please send me the picture of your tranformer.

Best Ragads,
Yoo

Attachments

• 9 cables.JPG
    9 cables.JPG
    115.8 KB · Views: 133
  • 492X-B.JPG
    492X-B.JPG
    101 KB · Views: 130
Hi,

Thank you very much for your reply.

Nine cables (2-red, 2-green, 2-brown, 1-yellow, 1-black, 1-white) are connected from my transformer, and the part number of tranformer is #4929-B .
I attach the picture of it.

Please send me the picture of your tranformer.

Best Ragads,
Yoo

Dear CIAO,

Would you like to send me the part number of your tranformer, like #492?-?. May be it is different from #4929-B. (it's mine)

Also, please send me the picture of your tranformer.
Thank you very much.
Yoo

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.