Asathor - a JBL 4367 Clone

This is a bit strange, but there are a few small causes that may add up to this error.
The main reason is probably the 33µF cap instead of the 30µF I used. Maybe your two caps also fall into the upper tolerance range and have ~ 35µF.
When I posted the x-over with values common in the US, I wanted to make it a little easier - that was maybe a mistake. I have also just seen that 30µF is available from parts-express. Sorry for that, I'll change it in the plan.
The protruding woofer could also cause the slight increase at 2.5kHz, so that the dip underneath is even more noticeable.

@Jesper:
That looks very good, but when it comes to scaling, almost everything looks good. :D
Please change the scale to 50-100dB, then you can say more. This can be done very easily via the "Limits" tab. You don't have to measure again for this.

Here you go :p

Left spk. = RED
Right spk. = GREEN

Jesper.

Attachments

• Meassure_2.jpg
    Meassure_2.jpg
    71.7 KB · Views: 661
Doesn't look so nice anymore, but is quite normal when taking a measurement in a room.

You can see the dimensions of the room nicely. The peaks at ~ 42Hz mean your room is about 4 meters deep. The peaks at 70Hz come from the 2.5 meter ceiling height.
The dip at 130Hz is the floor reflection. Between 200 and 1 kHz it is mainly reflections that cause the unsteady measurement. Everything is as it should be.

This is a bit strange, but there are a few small causes that may add up to this error.
The main reason is probably the 33µF cap instead of the 30µF I used. Maybe your two caps also fall into the upper tolerance range and have ~ 35µF.
When I posted the x-over with values common in the US, I wanted to make it a little easier - that was maybe a mistake. I have also just seen that 30µF is available from parts-express. Sorry for that, I'll change it in the plan.
The protruding woofer could also cause the slight increase at 2.5kHz, so that the dip underneath is even more noticeable.

Frankly, that's a relief. I didn't really compare the two schematics for differences. I've now ordered the 30uF parts.

FWIW, the woofer is flush mounted. 12mm tall magnets attached to the screw heads act as standoffs for the grill. I measured in-room with and without the grill but the responses looked identical. The previous rattling issue was resolved with a little gasket material between the magnets and grill.

Since they are room measurements, they are not gated.
@ultracrome:
Can you put one loudspeaker with the microphone at a distance of 1m (~ 3ft) at the height of the tweeter in the middle of the room and measure again. Make sure that no objects are closer than 1 meter to the box or microphone.
Then also set a gate (button "IR-Windows", set right window to 4.5ms). With this you only measure the speaker and not the entire room.

Thank you for measuring again. It looks like the measurement window is still too large.
Was the speaker in the middle of the room when you took the measurement or was there something within 2 meters (6 feet) that reflected the sound (walls, window, table or similar)?
This could be the reason for the increase in the lower frequency range.

Between 1kHz and 2kHz it is not quite optimal, but that can also be due to the tolerances of woofer and tweeter. The resonances of the woofer, which are exactly in this range, can differ somewhat more from woofer to woofer and this is then reflected in the overall frequency response.

Unfortunately, I have no other explanation at the moment, but all in all this is not bad and such small differences are also very difficult to hear.

Evening all.

While enjoying my AsaThor's here, i ofcause ;) couldn't resist making some EQ/Drc DSP fun.
I did not really yet have a good listning after filters applied, but will return here when i have some more time with it.

(Btw.: The dip @ 3kHz is something i did with EQ.)

Jesper.

Attachments

• AllSpl.jpg
    AllSpl.jpg
    87.3 KB · Views: 255
  • Right_impulse_Before.jpg
    Right_impulse_Before.jpg
    57.8 KB · Views: 182
  • Right_impulse_response_AFTER.jpg
    Right_impulse_response_AFTER.jpg
    56.8 KB · Views: 175
No, it is not discontinued, but probably not available for a few months. I got the information directly from Tymphany itself.
I'm currently working on an alternative tweeter configuration with the LaVoce DF10.172M. Tomorrow first measurements will be made...

Reactions: 1 user
Reactions: 1 user
Well, a clone is never the original. I could have written "Inspired by the JBL 4367", but I don't want to ask the mods to change again.

🟢 Hello Rose66! I was delighted with this project, I was looking for a 15" speaker for my 45m² living room, if you can call it a living room, it's more like a shed at home.
I would like to know the following:
Which speaker up to 300$ could be used in this project and that would make a big difference in the final quality?
I'm looking for a speaker that drops a lot in the bass but is natural.
My musical style is classical orchestrated, blues, acoustic music.
Thank you for being here to introduce us.

Silvio,
I have not built this particular project, but have done several similar designs before. It looks like a really well thought out project and I have a friend who's interested in me building him a pair down the line.

Go to the webpage for the project and all the details are spelled out there. I think the specified LaVoces are in your budget, at least at PE prices. Not sure what they'd cost in SA.

Thanks for the interest!

I couldn't agree more with Brett.
I originally wanted to upgrade the Asathor with a more expensive woofer at some point, but the original, inexpensive woofer is really excellent.
More expensive woofers are almost always designed for bass reflex, which would mean a lot of conversion work and larger cabinets. So basically a completely different speaker.

I've been listening with the LaVoce tweeters for a few days and will probably convert my own Asathor to these tweeters soon.

No, it is not discontinued, but probably not available for a few months. I got the information directly from Tymphany itself....
It is usually the case with Tymphany that they still produce a driver but with minimum order quantity. If minimum order quantity is 50-100 pieces it is effectively discontinued for diy purpose.

I can only hope it will be available for purchase by piece but i really doubt it.