Are youngers being more stupid?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Some individuals could not be brought to the senses even being cut to the pieces.
However perspective of being birched used to prevent mass spreading of such practical joke(s). Perhaps every generation has it's own way of pushing boundaries.
By the age of "idiots" one should assume the level of hormones ruling teens' behavior.

In my young days, youth did absolutely stupid things as well. Like driving a simple tuned scooter, meant for 30-40 Km/h, at 90-100Km/h without a helmet or decently protective clothing.
What I see as a reason for the danger level to increase is indeed the spread of such videos on the internet. You only get attention if you do something even more dangerous (and stupid) than the others. Performing some kind of entertainment and have a moment of personal "fame" has become what most youth can hope for. Most jobs have become trivial and poorly paid. Socially sound activities have a low status. If you do not get your 15 minutes of fame (Andy Warhol), your life has been wasted.

Last edited:
Boomers were born:
1946-1964
I think that means a large percentage of us here are Boomers.

Moderation staff probably has access to DOB in the member registration database, so perhaps the ‘Generation’ and resident country should be required display fields?

billshurv - this explains everything you need/never wanted to know about your generation cohort

Boomers, Gen X, Gen Y, and Gen Z Explained

If you didn’t know, now you know.
What will the cut-off date be for Gen Z, and what comes after that?

Last edited:
Account Closed
Joined 2018
Boomers, Gen X, Gen Y, and Gen Z Explained

Yet again, some annoying idiot snot has to re-invent something that was perfectly fine for "generations".

The terms "Elders" - "Seniors" - "Teenagers" - "Youngsters" - "Tots" - "Children" - "Infants".....
....apparently is not good enough to use as an age description of the human race??
Must the world now describe things in "trendy" slang terms?
Were those ancient and generally accepted terms somehow offensive or something?
People need to get a grip on themselves.

As for the stupidity of the younger part of society, I've noticed the gradual increase in dumbness too.
Sure, kids have done stupid stuff for generations - it goes along with lack of knowledge, lack of education and parental guidance.
But now, the so-called Smartphone weened society has created a whole new version of colorful idiots.
If your whole world revolves around a battery-operated device that has a glowing screen, then by now you're nothing more than some loser/moron/zombie with a pathetic "virtual life" and are letting the real world pass you by - in addition to looking utterly stupid to people like me who've kept their lives intact and enjoy the view of the real world.

Here's a somewhat amusing info-mercial from 30 years ago - kind of corny by today's standards, but devilishly done to entice the masses into "virtual reality".
Watch it, and think about how the world was like before the internet......

Liveleak.com - Early 1990s Internet Commercial

Last edited:
Joined 2006
Paid Member
Heard it before?

“The children now love luxury; they have bad manners, contempt for authority; they show disrespect for elders and love chatter in place of exercise. Children are now tyrants, not the servants of their households. They no longer rise when elders enter the room. They contradict their parents, chatter before company, gobble up dainties at the table, cross their legs, and tyrannize their teachers.”

― Socrates

And:

The 2,500-Year-Old History of Adults Blaming the Younger Generation

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.