Are youngers being more stupid?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.

Attachments

• hello-dolly.jpg
    hello-dolly.jpg
    216.5 KB · Views: 93
cogitech said:
In my experience, situations like this are becoming more and more rare. I do my best to avoid them by doing research on Linux compatibility before making hardware purchases.
The Linux-compatible hardware/computers I found were unscrupolously double the market price! It does not make sense to buy inferior hardware for a price which buys far better hardware. The reason for this price hike is having hardware tested for Linux compatibility, but that is not enough to justify a price increase of 100%.

For software, options like WINE and PlayOnLinux work really well in many cases.
WINE has its problems too. The most glaring of which, it does NOT provide a kernel interface to install and use Windows drivers. This means, if you are out of luck with native Linux, you will also be out of luck with WINE.

Even when Windows is unavoidable, its use can be minimized to situations when there is absolutely no other option. I make use of Windows running in a virtual machine for a few such situations.
Virtual machines, especially, virtual machines like qemu are not that efficient to allow a virtual machine to use a machines native potential. On my systems, after many many wasted hours, it was always a useless installation because of ridiculously old virtual hardware drivers which limit performance to an exasperating pace.

If you are serious about good virtualisation software, you have to seriously consider commercial paid for packages, otherwise it is software that works in some situation but fails in many others.

Point is, there is no need to suffer through Windows for day-to-day tasks such as web-browsing, email, "office" tasks, listening to music, etc. etc.
There are billions of people around the globe who are satisfied with such 'suffering'. I am not one of them, but I suffer too, not using Windows, but using Linux with lack of driver support and a whole endless litany of unfinished software which 'worked' for their developers but often fails with many legitimate user cases.

This is the truth about Linux. It is not ethical to praise anything to the extent of not accepting real limitations as the truth.

Last edited:
The Linux-compatible hardware/computers I found were unscrupolously double the market price! It does not make sense to buy inferior hardware for a price which buys far better hardware. The reason for this price hike is having hardware tested for Linux compatibility, but that is not enough to justify a price increase of 100%.

WINE has its problems too. The most glaring of which, it does NOT provide a kernel interface to install and use Windows drivers. This means, if you are out of luck with native Linux, you will also be out of luck with WINE.

Virtual machines, especially, virtual machines like qemu are not that efficient to allow a virtual machine to use a machines native potential. On my systems, after many many wasted hours, it was always a useless installation because of ridiculously old virtual hardware drivers which limit performance to an exasperating pace.

If you are serious about good virtualisation software, you have to seriously consider commercial paid for packages, otherwise it is software that works in some situation but fails in many others.

There are billions of people around the globe who are satisfied with such 'suffering'. I am not one of them, but I suffer too, not using Windows, but using Linux with lack of driver support and a whole endless litany of unfinished software which worked for their developers.

This is the truth about Linux. It is not ethical to praise anything to the extent of not accepting real limitations as the truth.

I've never experienced any increased hardware costs with Linux. Maybe you should look again at the modern shape of things.

Wine is fine, but wine-staging will work better. GTA5 even works through WINE now.

As far as VM use Virtualbox. If your machine isn't an ancient piece of garbage, it'll have VT-m that should be enabled in the UEFI, and modern enough hardware for full Linux compatibility. Hell, Linux 5.6 already supports USB4!

What specific hardware do you not have drivers for?

Also, keep in mind, some Linux distros are strictly FOSS, while others include binary blobs for some hardware like Broadcom etc.

Last edited:
Joined 2011
Paid Member

I've installed Linux on hundreds of PCs over the years (laptops, netbooks, workstations, servers) and never had any issues with drivers. What I meant was, when I buy a specialized peripheral device I do a quick google to make sure there aren't any significant outstanding issues getting it to work in Linux. It is not nearly as difficult as you are making it sound to run Linux on just about any PC.

WINE works perfectly well to run software in many, many cases. I never said it is perfect. Linux has its own quality drivers for the vast majority of hardware out there (see my point about installing it on just about anything).

I have used all the virtualization platforms from commercial products on enterprise servers to open source platforms on home PCs. I understand how they work, and they are far more efficient than you have described. I find Virtualbox perfectly suitable for running Windows VM for home use. On my hardware, I can tell no difference between the VM and Windows installed natively.

There are billions of people around the globe who are satisfied with such 'suffering'. I am not one of them, but I suffer too, not using Windows, but using Linux with lack of driver support and a whole endless litany of unfinished software which worked for their developers.

I'm unethical, am I? Hilarious.

I am encouraging people to give Linux a try because in my (substantial) experience it offers a more stable, more secure, less invasive, and overall better experience than Windows. There is no reason to not give it a try.

"Unethical" - you have a flair for drama, I see. The biggest limitations associated with Linux are due to the person at the keyboard.

Last edited:
Trolley buses makes absolute sense though Cal!

They used to be widespread in the UK, along with Trams

FWIW, anecdotally (following GoatGuy's remarks) I wasn't home schooled - and I, along with my fellow infants, learned to read, write, spell and were tested on ability at 7 years of age.

It's a little pathetic, but I am still proud of being assessed at 7, and told I had a reading age of 13. I was good at mathematics too.

Initial early education counts for a lot, but in the end, motivation in later years is just as important.

a few years not doing the maths, everyday, and Calculus becomes a difficult concept again!

Practice practice practice!

It applies in all aspects of life, musicianship, engineering - particularly with so many modern tools that perform the more mundane calculations for us, and spit out an answer

Last edited:
I never forgave the switch from fountain pens.

Once I switched to fountain pens, there was no going back. I started with those V-pens, but during Calculus I (about 4 hours of homework each night) I was going through almost two a week and I switched to cartridge/converter pens, which I just refilled every night.

I will say, that professor gets a bad rep for how much homework he assigns, but all that extra work in Calculus I paid off- Calculus II and III were all relatively easy as a result.

kodabmx said:
I've never experienced any increased hardware costs with Linux. Maybe you should look again at the modern shape of things.
The 'modern' world is still motivated by profit. Nobody will do Linux compatibility testing and refurbishments for nothing. Therefore, it follows, hardware that has been guaranteed to be Linux friendly, will also be more expensive.

I ethically refrain from mentioning any vendors.

Wine is fine, but wine-staging will work better. GTA5 even works through WINE now.
WINE makes many unjustified assumptions about its use cases, which miserably fail when one is faced with hardware like the DSO6074BC USB oscilloscope. WINE will run the application, but it will fail to detect the USB oscilloscope module. For it, it does not exist, as there is no provided means to use a Windows driver under WINE.

The WINE creators should have forked the ndiswrapper project to provide a generic kernel module to interface with Windows drivers, but they decided this was not required.

NOT everyone who considers using WINE under Linux is a gamer, whose only interest, is to get their expensive graphic cards running.

As far as VM use Virtualbox. If your machine isn't an ancient piece of garbage, it'll have VT-m that should be enabled in the UEFI, and modern enough hardware for full Linux compatibility. Hell, Linux 5.6 already supports USB4!
I solved my limiting problem by purchasing a Vista laptop which I mounted on a wooden platform to securely and safely house the oscilloscope's module. This laptop will be used only for the oscilloscope. Instead of the original cracked and improperly installed Windows XP, I installed Windows 7. This operating system fully supports the oscilloscope.

What specific hardware do you not have drivers for?
Hantek DSO6074BC USB oscilloscope.

Also, keep in mind, some Linux distros are strictly FOSS
That is something that will not convince manufacturers to chance their business models. If they understand, giving details how their hardware communicate with a motherboard may give away trade secrets, they have every right to refuse to open their drivers.

while others include binary blobs for some hardware like Broadcom etc.
Distributions like Debian allow the use of such drivers. If a distribution doesn't, that should not be a problem as long as an open driver's source is available.

*********. The entire AMD video driver stack is OPEN SOURCE by AMD, and Intel open sources their driver, too.

A Vista laptop. I didn't realize your hardware was legacy.

Any distro will allow non-free software if the user isn't a noob. My Hantek runs fine with openhantek, but I prefer the "auto" button in the stock software. Now any time I want to use my scope, I have to boot the computer up 3 hours ahead of time so it can do updates. Updates which take Linux less than 1 minute and actually work :)

I'm running an Asus X202-E i3 ivy bridge for my "scope" and when it dies, I'll replace it and the scope with a real scope instead of this USB trash.

As far as getting a USB stack working in WINE, this post might help you. debug - Making USB work in wine 4.0 (ubuntu 19.04) - Super User

I will say that with one or two exceptions, I had very minimal issues with using Linux. Ultimately I wound up using Windows on a daily basis (school software BS...), but about 90% of the time it "just worked". If it weren't for a few very specific programs that don't virtualize well, I probably would be using Linux as my primary OS.

By "trams" you mean "streetcars", right mate? :)

Haha no. :D

Cars have wheels and drive on a road
Trams have rails.
Trains have rails, as do carriages for passengers.
Trolley buses have both wheels and guide rail. I guess the wheels castor, hence the "trolley" part.

Oddly, a Dolly isnt interchangeable with a cart or a trolley in any way...
a dolly doesn't even have to posses any wheels!

My favourite UK & Eire word, however, is:

Yoke.

Put dat yoke over dare will ya?

Last edited:
kodabmx said:
*********. The entire AMD video driver stack is OPEN SOURCE by AMD, and Intel open sources their driver, too.
AMD and Intel are two manufacturers out of many many others.

A Vista laptop. I didn't realize your hardware was legacy.
That laptop is more than enough for this use case. I have more computers, but this will be entirely dedicated as an interface for this oscilloscope.

Any distro will allow non-free software if the user isn't a noob. My Hantek runs fine with openhantek, but I prefer the "auto" button in the stock software.
The DSO6074BC will not work.

Now any time I want to use my scope, I have to boot the computer up 3 hours ahead of time so it can do updates. Updates which take Linux less than 1 minute and actually work :)
The 'drama' component of me, tells me these are wasted keystrokes.

I'm running an Asus X202-E i3 ivy bridge for my "scope" and when it dies, I'll replace it and the scope with a real scope instead of this USB trash.
Again, the 'drama' component tells me these are more wasted keystrokes.

As far as getting a USB stack working in WINE, this post might help you. debug - Making USB work in wine 4.0 (ubuntu 19.04) - Super User
I will not waste more of my time trying the impossible. The driver for the DSO6074BC has not yet been cracked and reverse engineered.

I will use good old Windows 7 which boots in less than two minutes. All networking hardware has been disabled. Updates cannot take place and it does not make sense to enable them on an un-networked machine.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.