Are youngers being more stupid?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I got paid good money when they let me go. It's a good thing because otherwise I'd be living at the Salvation Army right now. Right after I left they showed everyone the door with no payout at all and closed doors for good. I had a saving account (couple hundred thousand) and when I got laid off I took a hundred grand out of my 401K and put it in my checking account. It's a good thing I did because the whole account disappeared into a myriad of bankruptcies right after. I recently got my "settlement" (ten years later!) on my 401K of $8,000 which I guess I'm supposed to retire on.

I've been able to scrape by and keep my house. I've even built up some savings and a new retirement account. It's the new reality.

I don't think they need people that understand exponential growth and decay any more; at least in the US.

When I was still deluded enough to think that I was employable, I had a few interviews where the interviewer's eyes glossed over when I explained what I know and what I do. Then they tell me that my education is expired.

To me, they're just a bunch of posers. And employers don't want smart people any more. A good American is a stupid American.

After leaving Big Telecom, I was unemployed and even told by the Jobcentre staff that employers were frightened of me, and I don't mean physically.

This thread has gone sideways, I see. Yet, I too am of the much-grey-haired generation now, and host to a whole-noggin full of remarkably out-of-currency understanding and working knowledge. There are precious few jobs for the elder over-qualified. Precious few.

Part of it is that unlike the 20-something crowd, we simply are offended at the idea of pushing a broom around for twelve bucks an hour. TOO MUCH PAY for too little of a job, actually! Part of it is that we know things that have drifted far, far, far from the current fad of design. We're on a blôody DIYaudio forum, for chrissakes! I know with absolute certainty that you, me, others here are a wee cupful of the hundreds-of-millions of technology workers, with sufficient knowledge to actually contribute here, de novo.

But that doesn't buy me or you a cup of coffee and a donut.
Or a respectful job. Or even beyond hope, a FUN and fulfilling one!

I think back on all those armies of master machinists of yesteryear, the ones deployed by GM, Ford, Bechtel, by another thousand top-top shelf manufacturing firms. The master machinists were responsible for keeping the gears of industry turning, rather literally. When a tomato canning plant's conveyor belt suddenly froze up, that thing had to be unstuck FAST in order not to throw out millions of pounds of incoming tomatoes.

Same for most-everything. Assembly lines don't assemble … they just move stuff past the people-and-robotics that do the assembling. But when the robots go punky… well, everything stops. When the people come down with Coronavirus, well … when the assembly line cranes go whacko, well …

The same could be said for any of us with our specialized knowledge. It is now becoming rare for things to be 'fixed' in the field. Diagnosing “the problem” down to a replacement board, and having a resources-fulfillment arm strong enough to order the thing from a similarly well-data-outfitted manufacturer or distributor, and have SAME DAY delivery … pretty much defines how business works. The defective part, perhaps only defective for one $1.95 microswitch having its rocker arm bent … is tossed, and the $5,000 replacement is installed by a wrench-monkey that will get paid 2× minimum wage, and be happy about it.

That's our main problem, I think, as a culture. We're no longer 'cheap enough' to pervasively try to diagnose and fix things, down to the bits. And to be frank, things have become over-complicated by designers in ways they clearly do not need to be.

But were 'complicated' as a market-share securing gambit.

And that sucks.

Anyway (mostly) gentlemen, best of luck to us. When what we know 'goes', it is highly unlikely to be replaced. Hard news, but not to worry about. Others will eventually rise as the 'weird youngsters' that have odd hobbies, fixing things.

⋅-=≡ GoatGuy ✓ ≡=-⋅

How can anyone be overqualified? The presence of qualifications does not remove any other abilities. I have been told the same also, despite not having a degree.

Although most of you seem better qualified than I am, I think one of the main reasons that I did not go further academically was that I was questioning the politics of employment having seen much non meritocratic politics.

The whole of my career has been dogged by this, my striving to be good at all I have done, (and often coming first in tests, eg. at the BBC, where I actually fixed the apparatus which was supposed to be used to test other of my abilities, and didn't work), for it only to be ignored.

One example is that when working for the Central Offices of Information as a Sound Recordist. A public information campaign, "Protect Your Home" was instigated and radio inserts to be made illustrating the need for observation with regard to strange people hanging around the home. These were audio 'sketches' of about 45 seconds or so, and designed to illustrate in sound, typical signs of predatory behaviour by potential burglers.

The then middle aged and established other sound recordists said that they were too difficult to do, and it fell on me to do them, my being on probation at the time.
The producer was Sarah Miles, and I worked, recording actuality of all the required sounds for the 'sketches', and I mixed and edited them to produce the result, which she was pleased with, and they went out nationwide on; Radios 1, 2, 3, 4, Capital and LBC.

Shortly afterwards I was sacked with no reasons given, but a letter stating that I was sacked for reasons already stated.

Oh and I have to add, that after approximately 7 years with the Civil Service with; Min of Aviation, Min of technology, C.O.I., the Lab. of the Gov't Chemist, and the MoD, I have a sheet stating that my pension eligibility is £0.00.

Last edited:
Hey Goat guy, want to come over and help me yell at the kids on my lawn?

⊕1 … yah.

I'm relegated to rounding up our goats, buying hay, 'barning' it, fixing fences, repairing the barns, gardening, rounding up the dog, the cat, shooting airguns at the coyotes, making dinner, keeping up with shopping, kitchen, food, fixing faucets, door latches, broken this'n'that. Endless unsubtle requests to fix Her Machines. Repair the roof. Stop buying books, and use her Kindle account. You know, fixing the awesome computer which is now too slow, the computer-controlled embroidery machines that squirt out flowers and baby deer. The TV that endlessly locks up, due to a wireless 'fire-card' that doesn't like our messy neighborhood WiFi environment. Seventh card. Somehow its always my fault that it isn't fixed. Getting the cars and trucks in for oil changes, tire changes, repairs. Scrubbing out pots that were burned thru stupidity; taking off the commode, putting a new wax seal on, setting back up. Refinishing expensive furniture with gashes caused by thoughtless adult-kids. Driving the car, taking her most-everywhere, listening to her woes, getting bytched at over … most-everything. Having to cough forth 401 K withdrawals, 'cuz she spends too much too often. I'm there already, buddy. I'm there. And still, its better than the lonely alternative. I've already tried that with one Ex-Wife.

⋅-⋅-⋅ Just saying, ⋅-⋅-⋅
⋅-=≡ GoatGuy ✓ ≡=-⋅

I've never been married or had kids, and I am alone, but I have all the stuff to maintain in the house. I don't have a car, but a bus pass which suits my needs, living on the seafront doesn't bode well for a car. I've worked at improving the efficiency of my living, minimising maintenance where I can, but the worst is the PC, and I hate Windows.

I would have a wife, but my relationships have all been unsuccessful, mainly because the women have been a poor choice, they being exploitative. One, after I rebuilt her flat for her, doubling its value, evicted me and made me homeless.

It still works, but too many times have I 'Put my hand in the flame', and a mistake could mean I lose so much now after putting a lot of work into rebuilding my home. I am approached by beautiful young girls, but they are so superficial and silly, lacking any real depth.

Most places dread employee turnover, they figure you won’t stick around very long doing something beneath your pay grade.

Used to me true at least here... Now, the job is such déchets, that a turnover rate is expected.

"Hey! we'll give you 14$/hour to cold call people trying to sell them a new water filter" or some other crap. Outbound call centre work is the fastest way to suicide or at least general apathy in my experience.

First thing I remember was askin' papa, "Why?", For there were many things I didn't know. And Daddy always smiled; took me by the hand, Sayin', "Someday you'll understand."

[CHORUS:]
Well, I'm here to tell you now each and ev'ry mother's son
You better learn it fast; you better learn it young,
'Cause, "Someday" Never Comes."

That which needs to be understood keeps changing, or at least added to, as time goes on. I was very lucky to be recently hired on by Amazon, I was 60+ at the time - and it seemed they'd take anyone with a pulse - who could pass their little test on which end of the voltmeter probe you hold, that is...

My wife and I are both hardware electrical engineers. Yesterday I was fooling with an analog circuit on a protoboard. A plastic drawer full of random parts on the bench next to it. The 14 year old actually came by and asked "what are those things?" "Those are resistors" "How about the bigger ones?" Those are capacitors... "What are the ones with all the wires sticking out?" Those are integrated circuit chips - didnt your mother teach you any of this? "Naw - she wants me to be a programmer or robotics engineer".

At his age I was utterly fascinated with electronics. I had multiple opportunities lain in my lap to excel in a particular area, but never had the hard working ethic to even take them to second base. Example would be I had a class A amplifier 50 years ago - a big output transistor from a car radio on a heatsink - powered by a car battery.

It sounded really good, but it would suck-in the speaker cone as it was directly connected to the transistor. I began to explore these transformer looking things I'd salvage from a different car radio (an autotransformer) as that could remove the DC somehow. Then I abruptly abandoned the whole thing without investigating further what a cleverly arranged resistor or capacitor could do - and ignoring what my ears were trying to tell me. (I probably bought the SWTP "lil Tiger" amp and started working with that instead).

My dad had arranged the car battery with brass screw "taps" into each cell, so I could vary the voltage in 2 volt steps to power my amplifier. It was probably these kinds of things he'd occasionally do for me that formed the basis of any sense / intuition at all I have around the physical part of electronics. I thank him for having the ability to sense what was interesting to me and accommodate it at times, even though it wasnt his cup o tea.

That's hard to do. This boy is into phone games, which make me want to wretch - and I refuse to participate - certainly, not my cup o tea! Wont touch 'em. His mom will at least sometimes, they sit and laugh together over the stupidest #% I've ever seen presented on a screen -

Last edited:
cogitech said:
There's really no reason/excuse to use Windows any more if you (justifiably) hate it.
Many hardware manufacturers do NOT provide a driver for Linux. For instance, I have a Hantek DSO6074BC USB oscilloscope for which I MUST use Windows. Do not tell me there is openhantek, because that is an unmaintained project, and Hantek is constantly changing driver architecture, so that, reverse engineers do not succeed to write a generic driver. Moreover, the manufacturer's software has many functions which openhantek lacks.

Sometimes, you have to kiss the hand you want severed, and this is one such case. Unfortunately, reality is tough and never was simple.

Joined 2011
Paid Member
Many hardware manufacturers do NOT provide a driver for Linux. For instance, I have a Hantek DSO6074BC USB oscilloscope for which I MUST use Windows. Do not tell me there is openhantek, because that is an unmaintained project, and Hantek is constantly changing driver architecture, so that, reverse engineers do not succeed to write a generic driver. Moreover, the manufacturer's software has many functions which openhantek lacks.

Sometimes, you have to kiss the hand you want severed, and this is one such case. Unfortunately, reality is tough and never was simple.

In my experience, situations like this are becoming more and more rare. I do my best to avoid them by doing research on Linux compatibility before making hardware purchases. For software, options like WINE and PlayOnLinux work really well in many cases.

Even when Windows is unavoidable, its use can be minimized to situations when there is absolutely no other option. I make use of Windows running in a virtual machine for a few such situations.

Point is, there is no need to suffer through Windows for day-to-day tasks such as web-browsing, email, "office" tasks, listening to music, etc. etc.

circuit on a protoboard. A plastic drawer full of random parts on the bench next to it. The 14 year old actually came by and asked "what are those things?"

My 14 year old grandson sees me tinkering with a circuit, and asks "while you are busy messing with that junk, can I play games on your computer?" An this is why I won't build him a better computer.

I had a class A amplifier 50 years ago - a big output transistor from a car radio on a heatsink - powered by a car battery.

I had built a guitar amp using those big round "doorknob" transistors from old car radios. They were far to easy to blow up, and hard to get. An incident with a car battery ended those experiments early in my youth.

I probably bought the SWTP "lil Tiger" amp and started working with that instead
They came later. I made a fairly decent sounding guitar amp that used a Lil tiger for output duties. I know I used it in high school, but I don't remember exactly what happened to it.

So many good Linux distros to choose from and several appropriate for newbies. I had not heard of that one before.

There's really no reason/excuse to use Windows any more if you (justifiably) hate it.

Linux is still my favorite OS, but I've pretty much been forced to use Windows on a daily basis due to software availability. I do sincerely hope that changes. In the mean time, I do play with Linux when I have a chance. I believe that for 90% of the population, it is the better choice. Still, I'm liking what I am seeing. We are much closer to that goal than we were 10 years ago.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.