• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

Are we committing suicide?! (Asbestos in vaccum tube base)

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Asbestos is only dangerous when inhaled; it are the very small partikels that are dangerous. An endproduct, like a tube base wouldnt be dangerous at all; unless you smash it, break it, saw it, or drill in it. Most of the time I dont do these things with my tubes.... Even then, asbestos is a very good thermal isolator; for temperature in the 1000 degrees very handy, but for the (max) few hundred degrees in our beloved tubes not neccesary. I think you will not find asbestos in any tube base, past or present.

My aunt worked on mica factory. She split mica for capacitors using long flexible knives. She took some work home, and my mom and grandmother helped her. I did that for fun to. It was harmful work as well...

Back to asbestos, if to put some peaces of roof cover in campfire it makes fun. :)

Last edited:
Here's a revealing ad from the early 60s:

287005d1339468225-we-committing-suicide-asbestos-vaccum-tube-base-rcaad3.jpg

287003d1339467716-we-committing-suicide-asbestos-vaccum-tube-base-rca_tube_ad2.jpg

Attachments

• RCAad3.jpg
    RCAad3.jpg
    97.6 KB · Views: 257
Last edited:
I talked to a doctor about the stuff. As for the Los Angeles area he only saw port workers getting lethal exposure to the stuff. It is still in buildings all around and no average Joe is dropping dead lately from this. Now if you want to grind tube bases I might worry.

The main problem with Asbestos is when you start to dig it out, if its sealed theirs no problem.

At present I'm doing some DeltaV Commissioning at Eli[Lilly in Speke, Liverpool and the HE says that "Yes we have some Asbestos in some of the buildings, BUT it is sealed and we monitor it:

At the end of the day this is a bit of newly stirred up hysteria, some Semiconductors (especially UHF) and some Valves contain more noxious chemical residues.

Of course, it could bring a whole new load of Kudos - HE!Y my main Amp is SE with Asbestos loaded sockets - brings a new listening experience.

Maybe we could get those nice people who make Magic Stones to bring out a new range.

Regards

John

Very good alternative to asbestos is beryllium ceramic. Harmful, as well.
Life is harmful, actually: it is sexually transported decease that leads to lethal end, in 100% cases. Also, all people who ate blueberries in 19'th century died.

That's right; I was supposed to send all old 416Ds back to WE for disposal - ha ha.

Millions of tea-drinkers have died in England...

Paul

My aunt worked on mica factory. She split mica for capacitors using long flexible knives. She took some work home, and my mom and grandmother helped her. I did that for fun to. It was harmful work as well...
:)

What are the dangers of mica? The previous owners of my house decided to fill the attic with mica scraps as insulation. It really is mica, it won't burn with a match. The rafters are filled with it.

It doesn't take years of exposure as there was Minister in the Fed. gov. here whom worked in BC when he was a University summer student for a few yrs in the mid 70's working with logging machines who had to retire last year. He was exposed to the brake dust and developed Mesothelioma, the cancer associated asbestos exposure. It takes yrs. to show up though. like over 20 yrs. His took about 30.

It was in the news recently that there are a lot of imported brake pads & shoes containing asbestos that have gotten into this country and I imagine others so be careful working around them.

Recently again there were news reports that the governments here may allow the producers in Quebec to go into production again for export sales. It will probably end up in products shipped back to NA. It's all about money!

Be carefull grinding , cleaning, & sanding metal chassis chassis too, as zinc, cadmium aren't so great in the lungs etc either.

Fiberglass fibers in insulation are pretty bad too and the paper masks people wear working in unhealthy conditions aren't enough, You should wear the the respirator type with the screw in cartridges appropriate for the hazard. They are much more comfortable with a valve for exhaling, which with the paper ones your breath is being recirculated.

Anyway Carpeting in a house is probably as bad as anything so they say especially when it gets old. Watch what come out in the sun when disturbed.

Randy

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.