Aragon 8008BB Voltage Conversion

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Is any one familiar with the Aragon 8008BB? On the back of the amp it lists a different fuse is necessary for 230 volts. The amplifier is currently 120 volts and will need to be converted to 230V.

The fuse holder is one that I have never seen before. You use a screw driver to pop it out on the back of the amp. Once it is out you see the fuse on one side and what appears to be a piece of metal that takes the place of where another fuse should go on the other side. The piece of metal is removable and the same size as a fuse.

It appears factory and I am assuming that it most likely has something to do with the voltage conversion process. I did not test the piece to make sure it had continuity....it is possible that for 230 volts you simply throw two fuses in instead of just the one on the right hand side if the removable piece that is not a fuse is not actually metal. The amplifier manufacturers web site does not mention voltage conversion in the manual and could not find a schematic online. I will try to attach a picture of the back of that amplifier that shows the type of fuse holder it is. I would suppose this not just a Aragon setup and it is more common then I think it is.

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

photo
[/URL][/IMG]

I used to have one, and have repaired some of these. I do not know the factory procedure, it may be real simple, but MUST be right..

They do have two transformers, so if all else fails, wiring the primaries in series instead of parallel would do the trick.

This would be an advanced solution, but you do have the option.

I would wait to see if it is an easy procedure though.

Indy Audio Labs was still in business, awhile back I purchased some new original
outputs for a 4004.

If the backplate says 115Vac and 230Vac, then the transformer must be a type that converts easily between 115Vac & 230Vac.

It's usual to use a universal mains transformer for all export models.
These have dual primaries. Each primary is rated @ 115Vac and is suitable for any voltage from 110Vac to 120Vac ±mains tolerances.
Wiring these in parallel gives you full VA rating for 110/120Vac.
Wiring these in series gives you full VA rating for 220/240Vac.

But use a Mains Bulb Tester.
It is very easy to get the phasing of dual primaries wrong. The Mains Bulb Tester will prevent damage if you get one winding out of phase.

Please attach any pics.

Thanks for all the information. I called Indy Audio today and left a message with the Tech Department but never heard back. From what it sounds any good Tech should be able to switch the voltage for about and hour worth of bench time. I will post when I hear back from them if there is an easier way.

Attachments

• DSC_0203.jpg
    DSC_0203.jpg
    626.6 KB · Views: 92
  • DSC_0243.jpg
    DSC_0243.jpg
    389.9 KB · Views: 102
Ok so what I discovered was that you pull that inset out and it is 4 sided. Each side is labeled with a different voltage 100V 120V 230V 240V. On the opposite side of the labeling side where the metal contacts are that make contacts with different leads of the transformer they are all different. So they all touch some of the same but never all of the same leads. I would assume this would mean it is user changeable. Still cant figure out why Indy Audio Labs simply couldn't just explain this to me over the phone instead of saying a tech needed to do it. Thanks for all the help...if the amp blows up on voltage change I will let you know.

Use a Mains Bulb Tester to power ON.
That will prevent damage.
The Mains Bulb Tester will even protect the mains fuse from damage !!!!!!!

Start with a very low wattage incandescent bulb (25W to 28W). The new halogen mains voltage bulbs are ideal, if you don't have a stock of old incandescents.
work up through 42W to 70W.
You should not need 100W, nor 150W, although those may be required to start a very big ClassA amplifier.

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.