anyone use knife switches for input selection???

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
That would look cool if nothing else. After I read what you and Gregg said about that can relay I bought, I went to my design and realized I've run out of space to add something that big. I have to go with the little ones. The only reason I bought the big can relay is because I thought it would look cool sticking up next to the switches.

I and working with limited height unfortunately. Here is a picture of my audio rack that I built. On the second shelve down and over on the right side, is my Pete Millet Lo Mu pre amp that I will be converting to the steampunk pre. The second pic is a close up of the pre. As you can see, I don't have much vertical space to work with.

Attachments

• 019_zpsd7a4b27c.jpg
    019_zpsd7a4b27c.jpg
    58.1 KB · Views: 144
  • 010_zps9e8153b4.jpg
    010_zps9e8153b4.jpg
    57 KB · Views: 141
Oh well. if you like the look, you can also make decorative pieces that are non-functional. There is a company, Funk Logic, that used to make rack fillers. In a recording studio, you might have a 6 foot tall equipment rack that is not quite full. A gaping space looks ugly. You could install a blank plate, but the Funk Logic boys made fake equipment faces. They made some that were just fancy wood panels, like burl maple, but they made several fake equipment panels. As far as I know they now only make one, the Palindrominator. Every control on it is labeled with a palindrome like "solos" or "level".

Some of the previous ones were just panels with meters. Then due to demand they added a small kit to make the meter actually respond to room noise, so it looked like it did something.

The palindrominator:
Funk Logic | Palindrometer Rack Panel
An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

I still have an electric flower pot I made. I took one of those plastic urns with a base, like you buy in the garden department and drop a large clay pot into. I drilled a hole in the base and mounted a plain old AC power cord from an old alarm clock. it didn't do anything, the wire went through the hole and was tied in a knot. I'd show it to someone, and they'd look puzzled, and ask why it was electric, and I'd tell them, because it plugs in. But why does it plug in, well, because it is electric. But what does it DO? It holds flowers, of course. And we could keep up the who's on first routine until we all tired of it.

A couple people suggest it really ought to do SOMETHING, so I added a small neon indicator with a resistor, wired to a small pushbutton, and connected them to the AC cord. Now when you press the button, the neon light comes on dimly. It does seem to add a couple iterations to the who's on first bit.

It's not steam punk, but it is fun for me.

OOOhh, ozone. I have a smell memory of my Lionel train from 1951. Between the sparking on the rails and the sparking of the motor brushes, there was always this sparking ozone copper sort of smell in the air.

A little visual and olfactory enhancement sounds like a good idea. Glue a couple hunks of flint on the knife blades so they spark when they close. or maybe buy some used pyrotechnics from Whitesnake, I believe they are not using them any longer.

djn your website does not open for me either
Sorry, we couldn’t find that page.

The page you are looking for may have been moved, updated or deleted.
Suggested Actions

• Please check the address (URL) you entered for proper spelling. Make sure that no capital letters or spaces are used.
  • You may find what you’re looking for by visiting the Xfinity.com Homepage or the site map.
  • You can also search for the information you want.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.