Anyone up for a UK diyAudio Meet?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
diyAudio Member
Joined 2004
vitalstates said:
has anybody had any further thoughts about a 2008 do?

Ed

Al did a great job of organising things last time so fingers crossed he can find the time for us lot again. We all agreed that somewhere down sarf would be better for this year so we'd need to look at venues that way - any suggestions? Earlier in this thread we had some nice suggestions for conference rooms at a university, I believe something like that looks ideal.

On the off chance that we struggle to find somewhere then I'm happy to offer the building we used last year. The acoustics were disappointing and wasn't ideally suited to such an event but this will at least ensure we have a fallback option should all else fail.

I agree last years hut we met in wasnt fantastic but it was cheap and we had the run of it.

ask the guys off head-fi and the room they used - they could not take food in and had to buy it - the tea and coffee was £2.50 a cup!!!

It was a room in a fancy hotel and i guess the accoustics would not be much better there and it cost them more than £5 a head.

John

diyAudio Member
Joined 2004
seroxatmad said:
I agree last years hut we met in wasnt fantastic but it was cheap and we had the run of it.

ask the guys off head-fi and the room they used - they could not take food in and had to buy it - the tea and coffee was £2.50 a cup!!!

It was a room in a fancy hotel and i guess the accoustics would not be much better there and it cost them more than £5 a head.

John

Nice, I can see it now:

Staff: "Excuse me sir, is that food you have in your bag?"
Punter: "Why yes it, but don't worry I have no intention of consuming it in this Nazi establishment. So unless its illegal to bring food in here, I can't see the problem"
Staff: "Sir, any food within the premises must be bought on the premises"
Punter: "So let me get this straight, if I walked in here with a pack of minto's in my coat pocket, not even a full pack, lets say there's one or two left. You'd call security and have me forcibly ejected?"
Staff: "Sorry sir but those are the rules."
Punter: "Riiight"

I'm sure you just got a bum deal with that room.

Perhaps people can get in touch with B&W, ATC, KEF and places like that to ask if we can use their demo room/anechoic chambers for the day. I'd throw a few bucks in for that.

Ex-Moderator
Joined 2002
Time, time, time. You just never have enough...

Yes, I will organise 2008, and it will likely be "darn sarf", as I feel the event suffered a little from not having a guiding hand there before it got going, (Ant and Vik did a great job coping, but didn't really know how I planned things, so the blame is all mine!), so I want to cut my travel time down so we can be on site and organised before all you riff-raff turn up. ;)

I have a couple of possible venues in mind, but need to do some site visits before we can confirm anything. Timing is flexible, I'll go with the flow - how long do you guys need to finish your projects?

ShinOBIWAN said:
Perhaps people can get in touch with B&W, ATC, KEF and places like that to ask if we can use their demo room/anechoic chambers for the day. I'd throw a few bucks in for that.

It just so happens I'm friends with a recently ex senior marketing guy at KEF/Celestion - I believe he left on good terms, so it may well be a starting point.

ISTR they are in Maidstone (convenient, as its only about 10 miles from where I live ;-)

diyAudio Member
Joined 2004
nickds1 said:

It just so happens I'm friends with a recently ex senior marketing guy at KEF/Celestion - I believe he left on good terms, so it may well be a starting point.

ISTR they are in Maidstone (convenient, as its only about 10 miles from where I live ;-)

Its Al's(who lives in Kent;)) call and I might be called idealistic for saying so but it would be very enlightening and entertaining I feel. Not only do we get to share our audio creations in a quality listening space with a large loudspeaker manufacturer but maybe just maybe we could swing a talk with a designer or engineer or possibly even a bit of factory tour?

I'm just dreaming but that would be about the coolest thing I could think of.

What's our chances?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.