Anyone rolling their own horns?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I'm currently building up prototype 2 of a backloaded horn using Fostex FE168sigma units. Version one had an internal sealed cavity (not part of the horn) that caused resonance hassles. Just curious to see what else (apart from the Wallhorn Big Fun and Hedlund) people have designed and built from the theory up.

Horn Loudspeaker

If you are interested in going the single driver, full range, high sensitivity route you might want to check these out:

http://www.yamamurachurchill.com/dionisio27.shtml

I have a pair of the smaller ones without the drivers that are for sale. They are rated to 34 hz with a sensitivity of 96db. If you have a good full range six inch driver and a decent low power amp, you're in business.

Joe

Don't get me wrong, it'd be nice but it's dependant on the back chamber of the dionysio being correct for the fostex (which I doubt). I expect they are also a bit difficult to get to Australia I'm afraid. The last problem is that my listening/loungeroom is 12ft by 18ft by 9ft and the Dionysio would overload it severely. Even some voight pipes don't have room to breathe so a full frequency horn possibly wouldn't work.

My own design is calculated for a 60Hz Fc

Spare dollars are also an issue, that's why I diy.

Happy listening

Drew

Drew,
I just got into horns too. I think you will find most have a cavity somewhere inside. The first I built was the Buschorn MKII and the second the BK201's. The next will be the Jericho. In both instances I filled the cavity with 'Polyfilla' expanding builders foam which you can get from any hardware store near you for about AU$10 a pressurepak tin. I got mine from 'Mitre 10' and I can vouch for it's effectiveness. Allow 24hr to cure and then trim the excess off with a utility knife... Works a treat
:D
Tomcat

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.