Anyone recognize this woofer?

There´s so many red flags raised by that piece of Advertisng that 12" vs 15" woofer diameter wouldn´t be my first concern.

Who cares they are "near" a car body factory which disappeared some 70 or 80 years ago and is wholy unrelated to them?

FWIW I am 60 meters away from where Buenos Aires was founded for the first time, in 1536.
Maybe that influences the sound of my amplifiers and speakers?

Reactions: 2 users
Deville-7538.jpg

Fleetwood Sound "Deville" $9600

8PS21.jpg

B&C 8PS21 $110

W1siZiIsIjIwMTMvMDEvMTUvMDUvMjcvNDcvNzgwL2ZpbGUiXSxbInAiLCJ0aHVtYiIsIjEyMDB4NjAwIl0sWyJlIiwicG5nIl1d.png

It *is* 94dB efficient...

No prob!

It's a nice combo, just a lil' overpriced ;)

All of B&C 8" woofers use the same cone and surround, if I'm not mistaken. My money is on the 8PS21 because it's the best suited for a two-way, and the efficiency matches.

They have some neo midrange models which are even MORE efficient, but they won't play as low.

Well but we know it's a lie about sensitivity because of BSL. B&C makes models that can do 50hz, but BSL will still land them fairly low sensitivity. The good side would be that they could take hundreds of watts without blinking and eye or thermally compressing into nothing.

I've seen a talented designer make something similar but with a 10" woofer and could only squeeze and honest 91db at 55hz -3db I think it was, maybe slightly higher.

It would be interesting if a pro company could possibly make something more sensitive but play lower. I know there are lots of compromises because you're fighting physics the entire way, but the market is RIPE for it.

It would be interesting if a pro company could possibly make something more sensitive but play lower. I know there are lots of compromises because you're fighting physics the entire way, but the market is RIPE for it.

That's like saying "I wish Ford could make a Mustang that goes faster and gets better mileage."

These two things are mutually exclusive.

SPL_4.png

For instance, the B&C 8NW51 packs a TON of neodymium into the motor, raising the efficiency by a few dB in the midrange, but at the cost of output at lower frequencies.

Basically as you raise the motor force you get a higher efficiency, because efficiency is determined by motor force and mass. But as the motor force goes up, QTS goes DOWN. The B&C 8PS21 has 5dB more output at 100Hz than the 8NW51, but the 8NW51 has more output in the midrange.

This can be compensated, by putting the woofer in a back loaded horn, but it definitely makes things more complex. It takes a lot of money and effort to 'eke out' a couple dB more in efficiency. And in an era when amplifiers are basically free, it's hard to justify that.

Yes, I see the problems. QTS below .30 really becomes difficult too because the lower you go the better it sounds with less feedback... so you end up designing for particular amplifiers and then you need more and more sensitivity...

Although I do wonder if not having the woofer play as high, as it might be easier to use a horn type tweeter that players lower than wanting your woofer to play higher... The pro world likes woofers playing high without huge breakup, distortion, etc, but for non-pro world we don't have the same requirements exactly.

The trade-off is a big box, the late, great Altec 15" 411A is nominally flat to 20 Hz @ 94 dB in a ~32 ft^3 BR. No market is 'ripe' for that, but is otherwise a great wide band, H.E. studio monitor woofer in its intended 6 ft^3 sealed alignment coupled to a 500 Hz horn.

GM

They could, but it would want a bigger box. The customer probably wouldn't want to pay for that.

To use John's analogy, Ford could make a faster more fuel efficient Mustang, it would just have to be much lighter. The customer probably wouldn't want to pay for that either.

Well but we know it's a lie about sensitivity because of BSL. B&C makes models that can do 50hz, but BSL will still land them fairly low sensitivity. The good side would be that they could take hundreds of watts without blinking and eye or thermally compressing into nothing.

I've seen a talented designer make something similar but with a 10" woofer and could only squeeze and honest 91db at 55hz -3db I think it was, maybe slightly higher.

For $26,000, you can buy a pair of these (16" + 3" Be Comp driver):

1.jpg

As for the solid wood cabinet material:

From their site:

"Torrefaction​

Torrefaction is a relatively new process that roasts wood in an oxygen free environment (so it does not catch fire.) Torrefaction removes water and changes organic chemicals inside the wood’s cell structure, resulting in an aged, darkened wood that is more stable and tonally improved."

From wiki:

"Torrefaction is a thermochemical treatment of biomass at 200 to 320°C (392 to 608ºF). It is carried out under atmospheric pressure and in the absence of oxygen...
The history of torrefaction dates to the beginning of the 19th century, and gasifiers were used on a large scale during the Second World War."

Basically an improved, modernized, industrial way of making charcoal.
Besides I would not want my cabinet material to be 'tonally improved' but to be tonally inert.

Reactions: 1 user