• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

Anyone have information on 300B silvertone tube

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Anyone have information on 300B tube from silvertone?
Which factory produce this tube, year production and price.
Any idea or experience on the sound that produce from this tube?

Thank you :)

Given the vintage if there really is a Sears Silvertone 300B it would almost certainly have to be a Western Electric (USA) or Northern Electric (Canada). Far more likely though that it is a fake if someone is trying to sell you such an animal - be careful!

Given the vintage if there really is a Sears Silvertone 300B it would almost certainly have to be a Western Electric (USA) or Northern Electric (Canada). Far more likely though that it is a fake if someone is trying to sell you such an animal - be careful!

I did not familiar with this kind of tube. Could you please advise per attached pictures?

Regards, :)

Attachments

• 300B_silvertone.jpg
    300B_silvertone.jpg
    49.1 KB · Views: 195
  • 300B_silvertone1.jpg
    300B_silvertone1.jpg
    139.3 KB · Views: 196
  • 300B_silvertone2.jpg
    300B_silvertone2.jpg
    141.4 KB · Views: 196
  • 300B_silvertone3.jpg
    300B_silvertone3.jpg
    134.1 KB · Views: 192
Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
I wouldn't say so, definitely NOT a WE 300B, and looks Chinese to me. I'm not aware of the "real" Silvertone selling 300B at any time in their history.. The boxes appear to be deliberately made to look more than a little like the WE 300B box in terms of color and design. Silver Tone Audio is a company based in Singapore apparently - not one I am familiar with and this appears to be a re-branded Chinese tube - unless very cheap not worth the money IMHO.

Here are examples of some USA Silvertone boxes that would be period correct:

Tube Box Art

This is what a real WE 300B looks like - look at the size of the mica insulators and the plate construction: http://www.google.com/imgres?imgurl...a=X&ei=NhC_TKDQIIaglAfNleTjBw&ved=0CCYQ9QEwAw

I'd go for a set of TJ or Sophia meshplates, or the solid plate JJ 300B instead.

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.