Anyone going to the Dayton Hamfest?

Great Pix George. I'd love to go to Dayton some year, but will probably settle for Charlotte next year.

I missed Charlotte this year as I was staying with Pop that weekend. I can go next year, but can't see pop again so it was worth it.

The Charlotte Ham Fest is now held in Concord NC, but used to be held in a in Shelby NC up till a couple years ago when it switched to the Charlotte Expo Center for a while. It is touted as the largest ham fest in the SE.

I haven't been since it moved from Shelby, but it used to be great with a very large 'tailgate' area. It is scheduled for March 12-13 next year if anyone is interested.

Mecklenburg Amateur Radio Society, W4BFB

I got a no-code tech license after they changed the rules. I mainly got the license so I could talk to pop on 2M and used to do so on my way home from work nearly every eveinig till the plant moved and I couldn't hit the repeter on Mt Mitchell on the way home.

I hoped to learn code in 71 when I went in the NAVY as I went to Radio Operators Schoool in Patuxent River MD, but when I got there I was told the class before us was the last to be required to learn code. I tried learning code several times since then, but just never got it.

KD4IMY

That reminds me, I wonder if I'm supposed to notify the FCC that pop is off the air?

It's that time of year again. The biggest hamfest in the world is in Dayton Ohio the weekend of May 18 -22. I have been going every year for the last 5 years, but this time it will be different.

Tubelab Inc. has been renting warehouse space for several years. The rent is increased every year. Tubelab Inc. has also lost money for 6 out of its 7 years. If the warehouse payment didn't exist, Tubelab Inc. would have made money for 6 out of 7 years. So it has become obvious what needs to be done.

The warehouse is 2400 cubic feet. This is small but in south Florida it now costs $210 a month. My daughter moved out years ago, so her old bedroom will become the new warehouse. It is 880 cubic feet. I have to reduce my collection of "stuff" by about two thirds. I have been giving away, selling and scrapping "stuff" for the last 5 years. We used to rent 6000 cubic feet! We have had only the single bay for 2 years now, and we plan to be out of it by July.

I have been hitting the local hamfests selling my "stuff" for the past 6 months, but the local hamfest season is over, and I still have too much "stuff".....SO it's off to Dayton. I will be there this year selling tubes transformers, vintage stereos, guitar amps, and all sorts of electronic "stuff". The Honda Element pulling a trailer holds about 500 cubic feet, and it will be fully stuffed!

Pictures from one of the local hamfests. The "tubes for $1" seemed to get the most interest, so I am bringing several thousand. What doesn't sell isn't coming back. It will be dropped off at ESRC on the way home.

If you are going, stop by flea market spaces FW2338 and 2339 if you want to BS about audio, tubes or anything else. Sitting outside for 3 days can get pretty boring.

Attachments

• WPB2012_1_A.jpg
    WPB2012_1_A.jpg
    371.3 KB · Views: 360
  • WPB2012_2_A.jpg
    WPB2012_2_A.jpg
    380.2 KB · Views: 352
  • WPB2012_3_A.jpg
    WPB2012_3_A.jpg
    299.6 KB · Views: 346
Have you ever been to the Breezeshooters hamfest in Butler PA?

No, I haven't been to any hamfests outside of Florida other than Dayton. I make several trips a year to northern West Virginia (Moundsville), often via the Pittsburgh airport. I plan my spring trip to coincide with Dayton. I have limited time off of work so I am going back Memorial day weekend. When my nearly 40 year career runs out, I'll be living up there so I will be looking for a new set of hamfests.

George, a word of advice from someone with a 25+ year experience at Dayton. I'm not going, but be as self sufficient as possible. Meaning food snacks, water, rain gear, big umbrella for shade & rope to secure it, warm jacket (yes, even in May), tools, folding chair, big tote bag to carry treasure back to your car, small first aid kit, toilet paper, paper towels, empty plastic bottle to pee in & lots of cash American.

Last edited:
but be as self sufficient as possible.

I plan to have enough stuff so that I can live in the Honda for 3 days if necessary.

warm jacket (yes, even in May)

I have experienced the weird weather changes in Dayton. I have seen it cold and windy enough for me (who doesn't usually get cold) to need shoes and socks, thick jeans, two shirts, and a thin jacket in the morning, and be in flip flops, shorts and a tank top the same afternoon.....then it rained. I have also seen a freak windstorm rip down peoples tents and overturn tables. ESRC lost a few tubes....

Last year it was hot.....and stinky. Someone broke a sewer line and the brown stuff was flowing through the swap meet. I decided to leave.

This will be my first time selling at Dayton, but I did Miami for about 20 years straight. It was indoors though.

I think I have most everything on your list already packed except I forgot the folding chair....added to the list, and I am not bringing an umbrella (the Honda makes a good shelter and will be with me) nor lots of cash...so I won't be tempted to buy stuff:)

Somehow I know I'll come back with some sweep tubes though.......it always happens.

The only other thing I forgot to mention is to bring a roll of clear plastic. or a tarp, to cover your tables in case of sudden rain. Also some spring clamps or bungies to hold it down.

The staff is very fussy about staying within your spaces when setting up your tables. Also, the pub opens at 6AM for breakfast. And always have your admission card with you. Should you leave the flea market area for the pub, the outhouses, or any reason, you won't get back in without it. Have fun.

Well, it's that time of year again. I will be returning to the swap area at the Dayton hamfest again this year. I will be bringing tubes.....even sweep tubes, transformers, some audio and musical instrument stuff, lots of junk, but no ham radio equipment.

A few people from this forum stopped by last year to BS, and anyone is welcome again. If you are going, stop by flea market spaces FW2338 and 2339 if you want to BS about audio, tubes or anything else. If there's any room in the Element left, I'll even bring chairs this time.

Two pictures from last year. Yes, all of that stuff, including the shelving and tables came out of the blue Element.

Attachments

• Dayton_1a.jpg
    Dayton_1a.jpg
    504.5 KB · Views: 237
  • Dayton_2.jpg
    Dayton_2.jpg
    682.8 KB · Views: 225
I plan on going this year. I'm just down the road a bit, and almost always go to stock up. Best to be able to pick and choose 6BQ7s to avoid the microphonic series heater ones. Lots of local furries go since it falls nicely between Morphicon and Anthrocon. Don't have a QSL card, so I'll wear my con badge instead.

Good times.

Last edited:
I had not seen that video before, but I remember the Japanese guys. They came back later without the camera rolling. I think there were 3 or 4 people, and one spoke OK english. There is a couple from Japan that I buy caps from every year. They weren't there in 2011 because of the tsunami. I looked for them last year and couldn't find them, but the english speaker told me where to find the "cap lady". They had lost their original location and were moved to the back of the swap area. She took the big HV oil caps I had to the left of the old Bogen and swapped me a big box full of brand new Nichicons.

Disabled Account
Joined 2004
Not a word? Did you get ripped off? Some dud tubes? :) I have stopped going to flea markets and such. I just don't enjoy the characters, the hunters....and I always end up buying something useless.. .plus I get dizzy when I see too many things at one time. Dizzy, confused, the CPU tries to process all that information, tries to make a good choice. It overheats and makes the wrong choice.

The fest was pretty much what it is reputed to be.

I stayed in the flea market area for the 6 hrs I had available.

Most of that time was spent yacking with George (great guy in person just as he is on line).

I picked up a few tubes (24G, 829) and sockets, two pounds of Kester 63/37, and a stereo microscope (needs a ring lamp) so I can now work with SMT at home.

There were a lot of Items I'd like to have purchased but just couldn't justify.

A lot of tubes were priced stupid high. Like used twin triode tubes lose in a box for $10 each and higher.

Last edited:
Disabled Account
Joined 2004
Most of that time was spent yacking with George (great guy in person just as he is on line).

Yeah, I have no doubt about that. Saw his Red Indian salute on YouTube. It is a trademark of mine as well.

A lot of tubes were priced stupid high.

No wonder. I can still find a few places here to buy NOS for a decent price but things are rapidly changing, for the worst. Still, other hobbies are way more expensive. Like drugs, haha.

The fest was pretty much what it is reputed to be.

I stayed in the flea market area for the 6 hrs I had available.

I picked up a few tubes (24G, 829) and sockets, two pounds of Kester 63/37, and a stereo microscope (needs a ring lamp) so I can now work with SMT at home.

There were a lot of Items I'd like to have purchased but just couldn't justify.

A lot of tubes were priced stupid high. Like used twin triode tubes lose in a box for $10 each and higher.

Me too.

Yeah, prices have been going up and up every year. Nothing much you can do about that "audiophool premium" other than to refuse to pay it.

What got me was people that had boxes of lose (used) tubes including basic TV tubes wanting prices more like NOS.

Stan of ESRC was there lending sanity to the tube prices.

I wish I had more time, but there never is enough of that.

Sorry I missed you Miles.

I hope George misses this weatehr on his way back to FL.

What got me was people that had boxes of lose (used) tubes including basic TV tubes wanting prices more like NOS.

Stan of ESRC was there lending sanity to the tube prices.

Yeah, I do business with Stan all the time. Got some 21LR8s and 36WL6s for a decent price. These *LR8s are dual triode/pentodes. The pents have some really good looking loadlines (attached) and the triodes provide built-in grid drivers. Not only that, but these can use stock OPTs. The odd heater voltages keep availability up and prices down.

The 36LW6s are real beasts, and I'll use 'em to build The Big One -- a real speek-poofer with outputs north of the century mark. Definitely use screen drive for these.

Also got a real esssss-load of 12AV5s from George, so now I have enough for an OTL. These can be used as pents in a Circlotron topology, and I also picked up some "obsolete" u-processors that can keep all those 12AV5s pulling together. So the trip was well worth it.

Sorry I missed you Miles.

I hope George misses this weatehr on his way back to FL.

I was there on Saturday afternoon. Would have liked to make it on Friday before all the good stuff got taken, but couldn't get away, unforch. I hope he dodged that hideous weather.

Attachments

• 6LR8-Pent-Loadline.png
    6LR8-Pent-Loadline.png
    95.6 KB · Views: 143
Not a word? Did you get ripped off? Some dud tubes?

I have been busy over in rural West Virginia clearing some land for our future home when I retire. No time for the computer.

I hope George misses this weatehr on his way back to FL......I hope he dodged that hideous weather.

Let see, when I got here (West Virginia) it was 29 degrees, yesterday it was 89 degrees. We have seen frost, lots of rain, and today hail. I drove over to Dayton last Thursday. It was raining. I set up my shelving for the swap meet area. Friday brought reasonable weather, cloudy, some sun and no rain. Saturday it rained all morning, but cleared up in the afternoon. I drove back to West Virginia Saturday evening.

I didn't buy anything at the hamfest. I was thinking about buying an RF spectrum analyzer, but by the time I convinced myself to buy it, the seller had packed up and left.

I went there to sell stuff, and succesfully converted a cubic Honda Element full of "stuff" to about $2000. I don't think anyone could complain about my prices. I accepted just about any offer on everything except two rare audio pieces, and those went for well below market. Most people who stayed to chat for a while left with FREE TUBES, free sweep tubes even.....who could complain about those prices. Power transformers for tube amps....$20, chokes $25, Transcendar SE OPT's $50 ....these don't sell well in Dayton because it's about a 1/2 mile walk to the parking area. I did sell several to other vendors.

I start the long drive home tomorrow. I have an apointment with a home builder in northern Ohio, then it's a long drive south. Yes, the weather doesn't look too good.