Any other Hawthorn Silver Iris users here?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
are Augie users getting good airy bowed bass sound? - I had difficulty with Madison's 21" woofer - GW1858 is somewhat thick/gooey - fun on pop music - part of trouble is my halfass implementation - maybe room. From piddling I don't like B&C 15" woofers midrange and formed a prejudice against higher mass/area woofers - will Augie break that? SI was "ok" - something like Beta 15CX and Eminence's woofers sharing the same cone - subjectively ragged in 300-17Khz compared to Danley's Unity mid-tweet-horn but that's a different game and requires good woofer match. I'd like to use Augie passive with say 8" FR

The Goldwood is too much cone and too little motor. I'd move on. But everyone disagrees with me on this - well, maybe.....nope..yep every last one.:D

The only way you're going to get enough bass on OB with the Augie is if your FR 8" is, oh, 85 db or less.:( Try doubling up or biamp.

I asked HA for the moving mass of the Augie and they said 144g but I doubt that. 200+ seems a better bet. After, all they do mention a 'mass disk'. I dismantled a Pyle PA15 and weighed all moving parts with a jewelry digital scale and it was 89g. And that's with a 70oz motor.

I haven't even heard the SI fullrange coaxial driver but I'm not in a big hurry to do so. A large thin cone is going to be breakup mode central. It has to be imo.

I'm perfecting my HOP:

Highly Opinionated Post.

yeah GW1858 - tend to agree w. you but its not as horrible as some other things could be. It might use a bit more magnet. I've got out of spec PV18 with Qts ~0.7, fs ~40 which would do better for some music. Maybe its time to start another open baffle helper woofer thread for newer opinions. Magnetar liked the old cheap 10" Madisons and there may be something someone stumbled across from zillions of Chinese woofer stuff that's accidentally usable ? AE sets fs kinda low on Dipole 15 requiring several/baffle. Those Jensen 15 look ok but are priced high imo. Doubling a 70g 40Hz woofer might be about Augie fs. SI seem very popular. I don't like anything (completely)

Last edited:
Well, I wanted the Jensens for a very specific coverage of 60-200 on OB and they absolutely excel in this area. I have a good recording of the Talking Heads And She Was and the Jensens provide a tactile experience of percussion on that track that is hard to put into words. But they give ya nothing below 60hz. And yea, the price was a bit of a bummer, but the build quality was flawless. And don't even think of using something like this for midrange on hifi gear unless you want to crack your eardrum into sections that rub together.:D

Edit: Thanks, P10. I did want a honest Augie mms.

Last edited:
dang! - that mass would make four-five old-school 15" 40Hz (or lower) fs woofers, two average 18" 20Hz woofers - is Augie the greatest thing ever on acoustic instruments? (I'm looking at a pair- don't want too many more drivers as have many 15" already) Do OB woofers tested in ~half-space have 3dB less sensitivity than in-room? - here's a 98dB (1K) rated 12" Eminence coaxial woofer in a little cramped Karlson 12 vs Silver Iris outdoors down to 50Hz - K12 is of course losing phase/everything below ~80 and have ~64Hz fb small signal. IP - which MOD are you using?

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

Last edited:
dang! - that mass would make four-five old-school 15" 40Hz (or lower) fs woofers, two average 18" 20Hz woofers - is Augie the greatest thing ever on acoustic instruments? (I'm looking at a pair- don't want too many more drivers as have many 15" already) Do OB woofers tested in ~half-space have 3dB less sensitivity than in-room? - here's a 98dB (1K) rated 12" Eminence coaxial woofer in a little cramped Karlson 12 vs Silver Iris outdoors down to 50Hz - K12 is of course losing phase/everything below ~80 and have ~64Hz fb small signal. IP - which MOD are you using?

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

Freddi, I can't say much concerning bowed instruments with the augies because 99% of what I listen to is rock and pop, but I do know that they do really well with electric bass and normal kick drum.

As for the power issue, one does have to have certain things in their system to use the augies in conjunction with the SI coax units. I'm currently using an active crossover in two way mode. I'm using a Decware amp (SE84C-S) on the SI's (2 watts per) and an 80 watt Adcom ss amp (GFA 5300) for the augies. My crossover is a Behringer CX3400.

Something I think I've learned with this set up is that it sounds better to turn things down on the crossover vs turning them up to even things out or to blend the two drivers and their respective amps. It seems that the crossover does a good job and doesn't foul things up as long as you run it's settings flat or below. If you try to boost things with it it can cause issues sound quality wise.

Well, I wanted the Jensens for a very specific coverage of 60-200 on OB and they absolutely excel in this area. I have a good recording of the Talking Heads And She Was and the Jensens provide a tactile experience of percussion on that track that is hard to put into words. But they give ya nothing below 60hz. And yea, the price was a bit of a bummer, but the build quality was flawless. And don't even think of using something like this for midrange on hifi gear unless you want to crack your eardrum into sections that rub together.:D

Edit: Thanks, P10. I did want a honest Augie mms.

I have that album, cd too. :D What is this "good" recording you reference?

Well, I should culture some humility and say I know nothing about the recording process, Rick. I've heard that many modern recordings use a type of compression that negatively affects the sound. I don't know how well the TH track was recorded, or what equipment was used, but it sounds fabulous to me.:)

Well, I should culture some humility and say I know nothing about the recording process, Rick. I've heard that many modern recordings use a type of compression that negatively affects the sound. I don't know how well the TH track was recorded, or what equipment was used, but it sounds fabulous to me.:)

I "hear" ya. :D

Personally I think most Talking Heads albums sound pretty good, maybe with the exception of 77 which is a great effort by the band, but can be a little trying sonically at volume. Of course even that recording is pretty good compared to some of Jerry Harrison's earlier work, such as the available recordings of The Modern Lovers. I've tried two different ML mixes and both sound like they were done on $20 worth of gear in someones kitchen. ;)

thanks Rick - I've a 3400 laying around somewhere - here is a pretty good pop solo drum album playing and recording wise - has some kickwork - more emphasis on toms - I want "good" levels on drum stuff with this mic perspective - enough to feel toms
Amazon.com: Solo Drums: Steve Clarke: Music

Freddi, are you by chance familiar with Harry Nilsson, or better yet his Nillsson Schmilsson release? The song Jump into the Fire has some awesome bass and drum work on it, along with some interesting reverbed vocals. :D Anyway the augies do a great job of reproducing the bass (some of which reaches fairly low) as long as the drums which feature large toms in it. It's a good work out for any speaker system IMO.

thanks Rick - sure not familiar - I'm more from old blues plus some opera - for drums - do you have Nick Cave's "Murder Ballads"? - that's got some interesting drum sounds - -Best, Freddy

Freddi, I have some older Nick Cave (Birthday Party, Bad Seeds) on vinyl but haven't listened to it in a good while. I really need to revamp my system so I can reintroduce a turntable. :eek: I should start with a preamp with a phono section.....then a new TT.........

I'm using a pair of 10" SSIs- albeit with Obbligato caps rather than the Mundorfs- along with Augie 15s. The room is 10.5' x 22.5- a bit of a corridor- with the speakers firing across the room for various practical reasons. After a false start due to phasing issues and/or bad connections they sound great. Things get a bit messy if I go really loud, but that happens whatever the speaker. I must find the time to experiment with room treatment. I do have a pair of FE127s in sealed boxes as my workshop speakers and like them a lot, but they don't have enough volume or bass for the living room. Might be interesting in an OB with the Augies. Within reasonable volume limits I don't hear anything that would really drive me to swap out the 10s for the FE127s though. I've never heard the standard SI 10" so I can't comment on that. The Radian tweeter in the SSI seems to be very good.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.