Any new news on FirstWatt??

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Steve Eddy said:

Hehehe.

Yeah, soon as I saw them I started thinking about ripping the fireplace out of the living room and building one of those into the wall and going mono a la Sakuma. :)

se

now you're talkin' my language!! i've actually had a mono setup for the past 2 years (up until recently). of course...there have been any number of rotating "systems"...but i went through a big mono kick!!

i have a new "design" that's a combo front/back horn that mounts on a wall (in the center), and uses the ceiling/floor/side walls much like a corner horn would. it is round (or some sort of polygon w/ many sides) and looks almost like a flower (with the driver in the middle). i figured...why not use the whole room as a horn ;-) it would probably only work in a square-ish setting. of course...it is a rough design not based on horn calculations just yet...more to get the idea down. i've attached some screenshots of the "design". just mount that sucker up on your wall and violá!

Attachments

• hornone.gif
    hornone.gif
    8.1 KB · Views: 311
enochRoot said:
and a cross section...

Thanks. When I looked at the first one, I couldn't help thinking "You know. For kids!" (for those who've seen the film The Hudsucker Proxy) :D

Looks like you're off to a good start. I'm afraid I don't have a free wall to do something like that unless I remove a rather large brick fireplace. Oh well. Someday perhaps. :)

I guess I could just get one of the Fostex 31" woofers and mount it in the wall and use the other room as a very large infinite baffle enclosure. :)

se

To me it looks like Mr. Harrington has to work on it again: pioneer_bu20f20-51f.PDF shows me somthing about the Jordan J92S

fostex_ff225k.PDF has similar content as fostex_ff165k.PDF

i can´t find the difference in fostex_fe166e.PDF and fostex_fe166e_abbey.PDF at the momen, they both seem to show the 07. cubic feet enclosure.

else: very interesting, more of this please!

Just got thinking...

One watt into 8 ohms represents about 350 milliamps of current. Which means that for 1 watt, a voltage source amplifier will be applying 2.83 volts across the load and an equivalent current source amplifier will be shoving 350 milliamps through the load.

And if a voltage source amplifier outputs 2.83 volts for a given input voltage, the equivalent current source amplifier will output 350 milliamps for that same given input voltage.

Using the Fostex FE108E as an example, its impedance is at 8 ohms at 400 Hz. So if a voltage source amplifier is applying 2.83 volts at 400 Hz, we'll get 1 watt. Similarly, an equivalent current source amplifier will be shoving 350 milliamps through the voice coil and we'll also get 1 watt.

But at the FE108E's resonant frequency in the .4 cubic foot box used for the tests in the white paper (at 90 Hz), the FE108E's impedance is 90 ohms.

So with the same input signal, at 90 Hz, the current source amplifier will still want to output 350 milliamps. With a load impedance of 90 ohms, that comes to a little over 30 watts that the voice coil has to dissipate compared to just over 30 milliwatts for a voltage source amplifier.

Seems to me that a driver fed from a current source amplifier will run a hell of a lot hotter compared to being driven from a voltage source amplifier. Though I suppose the increased resistance of the voice coil due to the heating wouldn't result in the same sort of thermal compression you'd get if you were running that same amount of power into it with a voltage source amplifier.

But the F1 is rated at 10 watts, which I presume is into 8 ohms. How would it be able to deliver 1 watt into something like the FE108E at 400 Hz while also delivering over 30 watts at 90 Hz?

se

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.