• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

Any good flea-watt SET designs?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Rocky said:

Eg venta meg virkeleg ikkje å finne ein slik nettressurs tilgjengeleg på norsk sidemål!! :D

Arnold på Demostenes er en meget erfaren og hjelpsom mann,
jeg pleier å kjøpe alle rørene mine fra ham.
Nederst på siden kan du klikke på "Rørprat" ,
der kan man prate om alt mulig rart.

Rocky said:

BTW the WE555 driver I mentioned to you earlier... It got busted by some freak for top $$$.. Even in the condition it was in it went for over a 1000$ :crazy: Guess i'll have to live without compression below 500Hz :bawling: :crying: :worried: :no: :( :Ouch:

I had a look at it , noticed that the phase plug was missing .
Better luck next time ;)

woody said:
Now for real flea power the Single tube designe page has
a circuite using the 6c45pi. 220v power supply, 90 ohm cathode
resistor with a 470uf bypass cap and a 470 ohm grid stopper.
you may need to add a ferite bead if yours occilates.

Single tube design page? Got Link?
would it be this design:
a_6c453.gif

?

It's very interresting to see the many good and intelligent tube designs available.. But I think I do favor a kit solution, for my first approach, although I'll make some slight modifications from the "by-the-book" design..

slowmotion said:
I had a look at it , noticed that the phase plug was missing .
Better luck next time ;)

I know, but it would have been possible to recreate a satisfactory replacement if the price was right.. Also, that information didn't show up until late in the auction.. There won't be a "next time" for the WE drivers unless golden hairs starts growing out of my b*tt :( Seems like the asian guys favor these drivers even more than the arab guys favor explosives :(

I will be putting my money into amps, while doing a set of 2 inch throat 350Hz round tractrix horns (since it is just lots of work and not really expensive)... When both the flea-watt triodes and the horns are all done, *I will* have the motivation to spend some $1500 on a pair of JBL 375 drivers.. I do not have that motivation, nor the money, at the time being.. :rolleyes:

From what I hear the OT on the bottlehead kits aren't so great. However I guess there is a Magnaquest option which should be good. You may want to invest in a good OT right off the bat if you're going for great sound.

Granted I heard this from a store that sold tube audio equipment for high prices but they are pretty honest when it comes to this type of thing.

Milo

EDIT:
You may also want to check out these kits.
http://www.vacuumstate.com/
http://hollowstate.netfirms.com/

I particularly like the look of MAD stuff, and it got a really good review on TNT-Audio.

Oh right and www.decware.com has a single flea powered stereo amp kit that has been well received.

A3rd.Zero said:
From what I hear the OT on the bottlehead kits aren't so great. However I guess there is a Magnaquest option which should be good. You may want to invest in a good OT right off the bat if you're going for great sound.

Granted I heard this from a store that sold tube audio equipment for high prices but they are pretty honest when it comes to this type of thing.

Milo

With the price being so ridicculously low, I would still think it's a good starting point. There is a time for everything, OT upgrades included, but first I think I will go for the Paramour kit though..

After a year or two I don't think the amps will resemble the original kit at all, but being a beginner on this, I think it is a wise thing to do this step by step. I think it will be though enough work for me to get a good result even with the minor mods I am applying to the circuit, and apart from trying different resistors and capacitors, i'll wait with major upgrades.

The "tweaks" I'll perform from the start, the 230V trafo and the 45 mod, is only the strictly neccesary stuff. The trafo because of my geographical location and the power delivered here, the 45 tubes because what I'm seeking is not a 2A3 amp, but a 45.

I'm not really surprised to hear that people are not too found of this amp either, because all i've heard so far is positive, and it would just be too weird if everybody agreed.. Things like that does not happen in the audio arena, and ofcourse, being a budget entry, the amp will not be world class quality, and I don't expect it to be. What I expect is a good potential for a DIY project that overtime can be tweaked to my very own audio nirvana..

I do not lust for the amp that's popping out of the kit.. I want it to be a starting point, that is not unrealistic for me to assemble properly, but I want it to be a good starting point... And the impression I get from the Paramour kit is that it will in fact be an ideal starting point for me.

I appreciate your comments on the Magnaquest and Output Transformer, and I will most likely be very useful in the further tweaking of the amp. But that's a long way from where I am standing now.

A3rd.Zero said:
EDIT:
You may also want to check out these kits.
http://www.vacuumstate.com/
http://hollowstate.netfirms.com/

I particularly like the look of MAD stuff, and it got a really good review on TNT-Audio.

Oh right and www.decware.com has a single flea powered stereo amp kit that has been well received.

The Zen triode looks mighty interresting indeed :)

Thanx for your links and tips :D

EDIT:
I still feel that Paramour is the amp of my choice though :)

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
A3rd.Zero said:

I've had a fair amount of compare time between the Paramours & the Decware Zen (Selects & the base unit). They both sound good, but different. It would be hard to pick from the 2 on sonics. The Decware is a bit more organized and better looking iron. The Decwares excel at driving low impedance loads, the Paramours like a bit higher Z.

User support for the Decware is in the same league as for the Paramours.

dave

planet10 said:
The Decwares excel at driving low impedance loads, the Paramours like a bit higher Z.

It will run in a bi-amp setup actively crossed at 400Hz-500Hz, powering the midrange and HF driver (passive 1st order XO at 5kHz). The impedance load will be 16 ohms.. sensitivity somewhere around 115dB/watt/meter..

This might sound silly; but despite opinions about one being better than another, I have pretty much made up my mind on the Paramours.. Don't misunderstand, I really, really appreciate all opinions, suggestions, feedback, and advices, but I think a 45-mod'ed Paramour is exactly the kind of project I am looking for. It will be tweaked till my eyes glows like mesh plates anyways, so how the basic kit compares is really not that big an issue. The thing I am looking for is actually a cheap decent 45 kit, kept simple, with great potential for tweaking.. The Paramours appears to be just that. :)

G

Joined 2002
If you are going to mod them for 45s ( I hear that 2A3s sound really nice when run at 45 specs) I would go to the bottlehead forum and ask Paul Joppa about what mods he would recommend. He is the designer of the Paramour and has probably already modded one for use with a 45 in the past. He will put you on the right track from the start.

G said:
I would go to the bottlehead forum

Let me second that--not that you won't get excellent help here, but their forum is a big part of the Bottlehead value.

As I've said before, my first tube project was a Bottlehead Foreplay. By actively reading and searching the forum, I was able to greatly increase my knowledge and confidence. :checked: :up:

Best,

George Ferguson

The Paramours come stock with 16 ohm taps on the OPT. Yet another reason to do the "Bottlehead Experience". You do need speakers with at least 96dB 1W/1M with the Paramours stock. I would recommend a higher sesativity if you are determined to use 45s. 99 - 100 dB 1W/1M would be about right. I personally would take my time and build them stock and go from there.

G said:
If you are going to mod them for 45s ( I hear that 2A3s sound really nice when run at 45 specs) I would go to the bottlehead forum and ask Paul Joppa about what mods he would recommend. He is the designer of the Paramour and has probably already modded one for use with a 45 in the past. He will put you on the right track from the start.

Eli Duttman already put me on that track, and there is in fact a good amount of info on 45 conversion on that forum.

The forum is a very good value of the bottlehead products indeed. Thanks for the tip, I'll make sure to find out everything this Paul Joppa knows about 45 conversion. :nod:

Rocky,

Since you plan on using 45s, at least in the long run, don't waste time, money, or mental energy. Use the stock PM power trafos. The stock power trafos have PLENTY of current for 45s and replacing them could be a mechanical PITA. The stock PM power trafos are sideways drop through mounting.

IMO, upgrading the O/P "iron", where PMs are weakest, is where you'll get real sonic improvement in return for your money.

Eli Duttman said:
Rocky,

Since you plan on using 45s, at least in the long run, don't waste time, money, or mental energy. Use the stock PM power trafos. The stock power trafos have PLENTY of current for 45s and replacing them could be a mechanical PITA. The stock PM power trafos are sideways drop through mounting.

But if I choose the stock PM power trafos, I have to either
a) build in a step-down transformer, or
b) build a 120V power supply using one..
Errm.. Maybe the external 120V PSU is not such a bad idea afterall... :rolleyes:

Eli Duttman said:
IMO, upgrading the O/P "iron", where PMs are weakest, is where you'll get real sonic improvement in return for your money.

After some reading I have been thinking about this too... But I am going a little over budget with my mesh plates I think. :rolleyes:

However, I think I'll make the kit "standard", with iron upgrade, and put an extra (double) switch on it coupling the PSU and cathode resistors between 2A3 mode and 45 mode.. This way I'll have options for both.. I will use the 2A3s that comes with the kit for a while, and have the option to simply drop in the 45s when I get a decent pair.. Need to sleep on this though.. zzZzZ

Earlier I suggested looking at the one tube design page and
different made an erreo with the url it should be: http://digilander.libero.it/paeng/one_tube_design_page_CIRCUITS.htm ?

Oh! they even have a battery powered line stage using this
tube.

I mentioned to Dave that if you look at the latest zen amp
at Pass Labs it wouldn,t be hard at all to subsitute a tube for the
mosfets and haxe a real simple tube x amp.

Woody

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.