Another JLH, my 2SJLH PMOSFET DC Class-A amp

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi, I recently tried to modify JLH 2003, Pass' PLH and Wayne Stegall's One-Bend Amp design,
and now I have completed a DC-coupled 2SJLH-200 that is easy to set up.

I'm 60 now, still not too old but time is running out just like my France made Oscilloscope,
the CRT just faded out, also my XP PC & Creative's Xi-Fi sound card, so I have no testing data.

I have no theory, can not use SPICE, I simply like to DIY with my two testing PCBs designed 15 years ago.

Here is my circuit, using simple blue LED as the Vref about 3V, it is very easy to adjust to
about 2mA for the first stage.

But first thing to do is adjusting SVR2 to set R5 about 3.4V than the output stage will about 2A!

Then adjust SVR1 to set zero DC level, I found it is very easy and stable within <+/- 30mV.

First picture output resistor R3 & R6 I use 10 ohm just for testing, setting 1.5V then R3 & R6
changed to 0.47 ohm 5W same as PLH.

Second picture is my old differential SPLIT AMP, the structure is very similar, all use cascode JFET
as input stage, 2SJ77 & 2SK214 as 2nd stage, 2SJ200 & 2SK1529 or double-sziklai transistors.

Attachments

• EU-2SJLH-CLASS-A_s.jpg
    EU-2SJLH-CLASS-A_s.jpg
    149.7 KB · Views: 923
  • EU-2SJLH_test.jpg
    EU-2SJLH_test.jpg
    128.7 KB · Views: 842
  • EU-SPLIT-AMP_test.jpg
    EU-SPLIT-AMP_test.jpg
    82.7 KB · Views: 774
Last edited:
mtlin12,
there is not much JLH spirit around here, it behaves just like a generic symmetrical amplifier.

1. If you reverse the N-ch JFET to PNP transistor, and 2nd stage P-ch MOSFET to NPN with a CCS, output stage P-ch 2SJ200 to MJ15003, then u will see it as a JLH 2003.

2. You can also compare this to Pass' PHL, only mine is 3 stage design.

Last edited:
mtlin12,
OK. I was having the 1969 single-ended topology in mind. The 2003 topology is uninteresting to me.
Anyway, I like the JFET input and the MOSFET output. The 2SK214 / 2SJ77 are really great, but not for voltage amplification. Q2 should be a bipolar transistor as well.

mtlin12, OK. I was having the 1969 single-ended topology in mind. The 2003 topology is uninteresting to me. Anyway, I like the JFET input and the MOSFET output. The 2SK214 / 2SJ77 are really great, but not for voltage amplification. Q2 should be a bipolar transistor as well.

JLH 1969 is a great design, I still have a lot to learn, but it seems not so fashion as JLH 2003 does.

I also don't like bootstrap or OTL design, all modern audio design books from Japan that I read taught me " use CCS & DC-coupled from input to output".

Usually the 2nd stage I use Pch-JFET like 2N5461, but then the circuit will become too complicated as my old design EU-01.

So I try to simplify my new pre-amp design, then I remember that I have a lot of 2SJ77, why not use PMOS as S.E. 2nd stage.

And it becomes this 4 FET High Votage supply, no NFB, DC-coupled my new pre & headphone amp FET-60, its gain is high and fixed ( audio range) can directly drive my 0dB High Power Buffer, only to protect my HPB & AKG 501, I still have to add 2 caps (1 EC and 1 PP) at the output.

It sounds pretty good, but I know the distortion will be a little bit high if I use low current for 2SJ77. High current then I need a larger heat sink.

Attachments

• FET-60_2SJ77_s.jpg
    FET-60_2SJ77_s.jpg
    342 KB · Views: 536
  • FET-60_PREAMP_s.jpg
    FET-60_PREAMP_s.jpg
    339.5 KB · Views: 152
mtlin12,
I am not urging you to redesign or make changes to a working amp. (Maybe it is better to leave things as they are.)

It should be a (certain type of) bipolar transistor, just like Q2, adding two resistors, keeping the small drain-source voltage across the JFET.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.