AndrewT R.I.P.

Joined 2016
Paid Member
Keep coming across AndrewT posts wherever I go on DA over this week, so he has been coming to mind often.

He was a great source of advice and critique. I know when he popped up with advice on one of my very amateur threads I thought I was being blessed by a god :) and was stoked to be playing with the big boys.

The universe doesn't make ones like him very often.

He will surely be missed.

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
The only posts we ever remove are those that violate forum rules, Andrew's posts are safe for the life of the forum at least.

I was shocked to hear he was gone, I'm not too many years his junior, message is to make the best of the time you've got and I think Andrew was doing the things he enjoyed.

PRR

Joined 2003
Paid Member
...hope that for whatever reason (upgrade, cleaning, ...) his posts won't be removed one day,..

My rule of thumb for managing my own storage is that I can *NEVER* fill-up a disk by typing at it.

DIYAudio forum now has 5,049,300 posts. A quick-skim suggests that posts (with headers) average 1,133 bytes. So the typed text amounts to 5,721,217,564 bytes, which is 6GB.

An 8GB thumb-drive is $8, or $5 in a 10-pack. A 60GB rotating hard drive now sells for $17. 64GB solid drive is $50. For that matter, 6GB fits on two $1 DVD-Rs.

While there is MUCH more to the forum (image hosting is generous), and putting data on a $17 drive does not make it last forever, clearly none of AndrewT's words (or yours!) need ever "fill up" the forum.

The only posts we ever remove are those that violate forum rules, Andrew's posts are safe for the life of the forum at least. ...

I am glad the "no wanton delete" policy is clear. On another forum I believe some of my old posts have blown-away. At a couple other places the whole forum blew-away. Yet another the Admin got peeved and blew a whole section away. (Excitement everywhere I go.)

Oh no!

Only saw this now. I echo all the previous testimony. Even the least known of us found respect and a helping hand from him. He left a tremendous heritage, not to be left fading but to be made use of in all days.

"From too much love of living,
"From hope and fear set free,
"We thank with brief thanksgiving
"Whatever gods may be -
"That even the weariest river,
"Winds somewhere safe to sea."
(Swinburne)

Bespoke Constructor
Joined 2006
Paid Member
Hello

I was wondering its a great shame that all these nice posts can some how be passed on to his family ?

they show a great sense of comradery which is the spirit of friendship and community in a group such as ours

perhaps the moderators can help ?

regards

Oh No!

Oh No! I just saw this today, as I'm not around here much anymore. I joined up in 2003 about a year before he came on board in 2004, so its safe to say we have known each other throughout our whole diy(.com) stint and of course it was not possible to be here without receiving his words of wisdom.

This is terrible news and he will be very much missed. I never met him in person but he did take the time to send me a couple of very nice emails over the years, which were much appreciated for a diy hack such as myself.

Unlike others, I will not remember him for his many helpful technical contributions but rather as constant and dependable friend during the time of my life that I was involved with DIY. He was kind, helpful and caring to all of us here. I will miss him as much as many good people I have known in person who have also passed.