And what did we buy today?

Not happy with answers I am getting about how to compare elliptical dishes to round dishes. Satbeams.com says I need a 30" dish. I am told to consider it optimistic. I bought a 36" elliptical dish and LNB designed for 2 satellite targets. Is it enough of a design margin or not? I can return the elliptical if I need to.

OK, finally got the answer I wanted, my 36" elliptical has an effective diameter of 30".

Disabled Account
Joined 2017
Sounds like its just on the borderline. However if the signal strength is strong enough in your area and there is a clear line of sight it should work fine. But if it becomes overcast it could/will drop out.

I would be going for a larger dish just to be on the safe side. 91cm is pretty large however in fact I'm unaware of a larger size available without going with a mesh C/Ku-Band large BUD.

I've found here in Aus that a 2.4 meter (8 foot) is barely enough for most if not all overseas content that is outside or just on the side of the beam. But it all depends on the market/country that the satellite beam is designed for, if its not covering your area at all you will need a very large dish to pick up anything, 2.4m minimum. But if the satellite is covering your area then yes it will work with a smaller dish.

Short answer is it depends.

Last edited:
Yeah, this isn't big dish kind of stuff, it's just picking up sats that are beaming to North America.
I' a little on the fence. I have been assured that my 30" effective dish will work for the sats I want by someone who has actually done it, but the benefit of the 2nd sat on the same dish is wasted because the only extra channels I would get is US network news, which I find unwatchable. I think I will try to return it and if that works I will buy a 33" round dish that can only do one sat.

Disabled Account
Joined 2017
I think I will try to return it and if that works I will buy a 33" round dish that can only do one sat.

I would put a hydraulic arm with DISEqC support on it and call it a day. That way you will get all of the satellites in your field of view and you can pick and choose what to watch.

That is basically what you have to do here in aus in order to get just a dozen or more english speaking channels. It sucks that we live in the asia pacific because everyone doesn't speak english.

And the first 4 or 5 channels which do speak english are on just one satellite, Optus D2 at the old and trusty position of 152.0 E

Optus D2 at 152.0°E - LyngSat

Its a shame that the full potential of the satellites are not being utilized. I'm sure that the satellites could be used to beam down all sorts of programming but with foxtel you have to pay for it. If it was free for everyone I'm 100% sure that everyone would have a satellite dish and old terrestrial broadcast towers would go the way of the dinosaur.

It would be totally awesome if every satellite had just one beam that covered all of the visible land masses but they don't. they simply just have small beams covering certain regions. it would be nice to know what the local programming is like in some parts of the world.

Last edited:
Disabled Account
Joined 2002
Here terrestrial broadcast starts a second life with DVB-T2. HD via terrestrial !

Gave all sat stuff away as I detest the system and the looks of a dish on my house.

It sucks that we live in the asia pacific because everyone doesn't speak english.

This is quite a comical remark when seen from a historical point of view ;-)

Last edited:
True that satellite is dying as streaming takes over, but it's a different picture (pun intended) here in Canada where all of our internet, cell, and broadcasting is controlled by an oligopoly and we have to deal with mediocre and overpriced services. I can't stand the service interruptions of streaming, hence I am sticking with satellite.
This is a very specific project, just trying to get Chinese channels for free using the 2 SD FTA receivers I own. If I was going to go for bigger I would just go big and target a Hotbird.

Last edited:
More of the same, as the big house move uncovered nearly completed or nearly repaired items that had been mothballed.

Some 1/8" stereo plugs to fix a couple of nice headphones fallen victim to airplane seat jacks. How many years did it take them to figure out that the inside armrest is the worst possible spot for them?
2pcs 3.5mm stereo headset plug jack Plated 90 Degrees Audio Adaptor ConnectorTS | eBay
3.5mm 3 Pole Male Plug Solder Jack Audio Adapter Connector 90 Degree TS | eBay

Some speaker spade terminals to finish up a 4x12 and probably attempt my line arrays this summer.
100 Pcs 4.8mm Gold Brass Car Speaker Female Spade Terminal Wire Connector M&O | eBay

A cheap antenna to fix my old but quality 900MHz phone that will likely be banished to the basement based on WAF. I know it the wrong kind of antenna but my wallet would only squeak open $1.
2.4GHz 3dBi Wireless Male WIFI Antenna Network Booster WLAN RP-SMA ConnectorPTCA | eBay

After an attempt to get better F connector terminations on RG6 by watching some youtube videos, I declared the cheap crimper and connectors I have had for years a lost cause. I'm going to try the cheap compression tools available now.
RG6 RG59 Connector Waterproof Connectors Crimping Tool H0W1 | eBay
I couldn't figure out whether the cheap connectors with blue or black plastic were better, so I decided to buy 10 of each to determine for myself.
https://www.ebay.ca/itm/232566096173
https://www.ebay.ca/itm/332537524527

Disabled Account
Joined 2017
A bit of a late entrant for me:
AUTOOL DM202 Digital Multimeter 6000 Counts AC/DC Temperature Measurement Tool | eBay
I badly need a new multimeter. This one seems nice enough for low voltage work. And it comes with a temperature probe!

1~ 4x 60/110/120mm Metal Grill Finger Axial Fan Guard Protector for PC Computer | eBay
For my Corsair case.

For my car:
Sony WX-900BT Bluetooth CD/USB Receiver with GEN SONY WARR | eBay
For using on the speaker cabling in my car:
50 Set 3.9mm Male Female Double Motorcycle Brass Bullet Wire Connector Terminals | eBay

Its easier soldering/crimping these than it is to use ISO connectors, as I change head units fairly often compared to other people I wanted something that wasn't going to cost me $17 every time that I wanted to change out head units, as with ISO cables I would need to buy a new $17 ISO cable every time that I wanted to swap out a head unit.

20 Pcs 6mm Bolt Diameter 4mm2 Copper Lug Wiring Connector Terminal Silver Tone | eBay
For hooking up my ham radio gear to SB50 connectors (I adapt from SB50 to 2x Anderson powerpole 30 or 45 amp) and I will use these lugs to connect that wiring to the 6mm studs that are mounted inside of my car.

https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/CCTV-RC...-less-Cable-RF-Adapter-Connector/290948433321
I tried using standard rca connectors to plug into the back of the WX-900BT but they conflict with the aircon ducting so I'm going to try these out.

https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/TYCAB-Battery-Cable-6-B-S-Black-Sheath-1m/201335485251
For using with the lugs and SB50 connectors.

Last edited:

Attachments

• IMG_20180317_182134.jpg
    IMG_20180317_182134.jpg
    958.5 KB · Views: 147
Last edited: