And what did we buy today?

Decided after a lot of considerations to buy a SuZuki Swift. Prices on preowned cars in Sweden has skyrocketed. But got a good deal. The Swift felt almost new but lacking a lot of the "extras".

bil.jpg

Reactions: 1 users
I put down earnest money on a house. DOes that count?

I have been busy fixing up my present one and hoping on moving this spring. My son sent me a link to a ranch style house on 3 acres on the 12th of Feb, that looked interesting. Two walk-throughs and I decided to go for it. Looks like electronic projects will be off the table for a while longer.
Money spent is knowledge gained.

The house inspection revealed lots of repairs on the supposed 10 year old roof including current leaks and structural damage. Electrical includes 2 prong (no ground) receptacles and lots of electrical wiring issues. there were also plumbing issues with failure to meet code. I tried to renegotiate the price but the sellers weren't willing to come down to a level I felt comfortable with the repairs, so I backed out. Back to the hunt.

Reactions: 1 user
Picked up a practically BNIB Dick Smith Electronics T-2200 soldering station for dead cheap (I say practically because it is still in the box and has been turned on so the barrel is slightly discoloured, but it hasn't been used for soldering and is otherwise as new). The 3 main electronics store chains in Australia all had their soldering stations OEM'd by Xytronic and this is one of them. My main station is a 20 year old Xytronic and I'm a bit of a fan of these reliable but plain workhorses. The $169 one below...note the year.

1709643051670.png

Got my storage container/shed today……now I can rid my shop of stupid crap like bicycles, kayak stuff, garden stuff etc.
It was so bad I couldn’t even use my shop! Will also include a lumber rack in it, i’m not gonna know what to do with all the shop space now? I know……buy more tools! :cool:

Attachments

• C0D4A5B0-F837-4B3D-B054-110EA430CDF0.png
    C0D4A5B0-F837-4B3D-B054-110EA430CDF0.png
    5.7 MB · Views: 26
You can lube the fans, many times a rubber stopper under the label can be removed, and grease + oil added, work shaft against spring, and reassemble.

Unit could be a form of insulation tester maybe?
Looks like an electrophoresis power supply. They’re usually used in biology labs to separate DNA, RNA or proteins in gels to sort of get a spectrum of a sample.

-Pat

Got my storage container/shed today……now I can rid my shop of stupid crap like bicycles, kayak stuff, garden stuff etc.
It was so bad I couldn’t even use my shop! Will also include a lumber rack in it, i’m not gonna know what to do with all the shop space now? I know……buy more tools! :cool:
The new rule at my new place is - that kind of stuff will NEVER inhabit the shop again. The shop is MINE, all MINE and only audio-related and construction-related stuff goes in there! I just spent 3 days solid getting the odds and ends out, and taking down all the cabinets and work benches that were pinned at the bottom of all of it.

There is a place in the BARN for all the garden tools, tack, and bicycles - and another for the hay. Yeah, I did use it for tools last summer, but thats because there were no doors on the house or shop yet…..

Attachments

• 854C89E2-4097-486A-B480-4A1DE8BA76E0.jpeg
    854C89E2-4097-486A-B480-4A1DE8BA76E0.jpeg
    58.1 KB · Views: 27
  • F7D1BFFA-4921-4990-A169-B6FBC3062703.jpeg
    F7D1BFFA-4921-4990-A169-B6FBC3062703.jpeg
    74.8 KB · Views: 28
Reactions: 1 user
Just cleaned out the garden shed I put up 18 years ago. Nice to reorganize and toss out old unused stuff…

I picked up a TPA3255 board that I am hoping to setup in a case along with a surplus Meanwell power supply and a Bluetooth board. Should be nice and loud in my friends large car oriented shop building.

Ordered a bunch of small stuff from AliX (AliExpress):
A ND1000 filter as I broke the one I had.
7x14.5mm potentiometer caps (the potentiometers on some synth module sits very close)
An USB BT transmitter
2 sets of vatrols - VTL5C3 and VTL5C4 (they differ in response time)
Various 2x5 IDC-connectors (cable mount and solder)
A servo tester
And 16 2" speaker drivers, 8 are red and 8 are blue.

This time of year I am mostly hunting down used sports equipment for my two young girls. All done except for baseball sliding shorts, which I had never bothered with previously.

More recent purchases from the electronics recyclers in town:
DLP projector for $15, was both over 3000 lumens and had HDMI. Perfect for mother/daughter spring break pajama parties.
A dual Xeon with 64GB DDR4 tower server for $115. Haven't picked it up yet, but spec sheet says it's about 70lbs empty! Will probably attempt my old trick of drilling out the rivets and pulling out the drive cage to make a more practical desktop out of it.

Decided after a lot of considerations to buy a SuZuki Swift. Prices on preowned cars in Sweden has skyrocketed. But got a good deal. The Swift felt almost new but lacking a lot of the "extras".

Heh, A week ago I bought a 20 years old Mini Cooper S

202000km on table, not mint but reaonable condition. I like to fix small things myself, like changing headlights, gas springs etc.

1712135329886.png

I bought a used projector - a cheap brand, Acer.

Bought at my local tip shop (garbage reclaim shop) for the princley sum of £8 GBP.

I wasn't expecting much, if it worked at all.

But it does, it works fine.

(OK so it only accepts SVideo, VGA and Composite, but that's perfect for my kids to use for a gaming projector, with PS2, Dreamcast, PC)

Cool car Juhazi. I don't like the ugly abominations the Mini range has become, but the early 'new Mini' was really nice (my sister in law has a 2015 model which I find a bit over the top). Mind you it drives nicely and is quite quick.

Incidentally, I had a mint 1970 Mini Cooper S Mk 3 for about 5 years back in the 80's (obviously the old one). Great fun! Registration plate was GO 1275.

Last edited:
  • Thank You