And what did we buy today?

Disabled Account
Joined 2017
Not bad.

I got myself a Casio A178WA-1A a while ago. VERY nice watch and has dual time so I've got my DT set to UTC. The band is made from spring steel so I don't even feel it on my wrist, at all. no really, its the best feeling watch band I've ever had and it never slips position (often).

No it doesn't display both times at the same time, was disappointed at that but nevermind.

Attachments

• 60-diyaudio.jpg
    60-diyaudio.jpg
    84.8 KB · Views: 217
Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Broken Panasonic strain gauge cartridge I obviously paid too much money for. (It wasn't supposed to be broken)

I have always wanted a broken one so I could assess how to transfer the strain gauges to a better home, so I got a good look at how it was made and was able surprisingly (for me anyway) to repair it. The problem was a broken ground wire on the left channel.

How's everbody's Black Friday going?

The insanity here starts yesterday (Thanksgiving day) around mid afternoon. Several years ago Walmart began opening on Thanskgiving day at 6 PM to get a head start on the $$$$ collection process. Each year more and more chain stores join the feeding frenzy, and some open earlier to try and grab some of the Walmart shoppers. Old Navy opened at 2 PM, JC Penneys, 4 PM, Target and Best Buy, 5 PM.....

Sherri's extended family has had a long standing Thanksgiving tradition of a family get together at her aunt's place, which just happens to be next door. We used to show up at around 4PM, but that keeps changing to an earlier start time each year to accommodate Thanksgiving day shopping. Yesterday there were about 50 people there by 2PM. Sherri and a couple other women left around 3:30 for the half hour drive to the shopping district.

I had decided that I would go to Best Buy to look for a replacement for my 5 year old Samsung Note 2 cell phone. It still works, but its 16 gig memory doesn't do much with today's bloated apps. In fact it was the last round of updates that filled up the internal memory.

So, I arrived at Best Buy about 20 minutes after its 5PM open to find that most of the waiting line had made it inside. During the 10 minute wait to get inside, I bought the phone I wanted on Amazon cheaper than Best Buy's black Friday price......a mid range Motorola with 64 gigs of memory for $179.

So I wandered into Best Buy, and an hour later I was walking out with a 4K TV and a Sony pocket camera. Didn't need another TV since I rarely even watch TV, but they do make nice big screen computer monitors, but I do need a better pocket camera since my 5 year old Panasonic from 5 black Fridays ago now has two dust specks inside it. That thing has logged several hundred miles in my pocket, or dangling from my wrist, and taken over 20,000 pictures.

I joined up with the women and followed them through several stores as the dedicated bundle carrier. I did pick up a Logitech wireless keyboard in Target for $20. This was the first black Thursday / Friday in at least a dozen years that I did NOT visit a Walmart.

PRR

Joined 2003
Paid Member
The insanity here starts yesterday (Thanksgiving day)...

FWIW: in Maine, stores bigger than a local grocery store may NOT open on Thanksgiving (unless the sign says LLBeans). It is an artifact of old Blue Laws; and frankly discrimination against national chains.

Yes, insanity. We do NOT go out this weekend unless vital. We *may* sneak the back road into Tractor Supply this weekend for half-price on some 5-ton straps; or may skip it.

I drove by the Walmart on the way to the gym this morning. The roads were far less crowded that usual for a Saturday morning, an the WM parking lot was nearly empty. I guess Black Friday is over and everyone is shopped out already...or their credit cards are.

Didn't go past the Tractor Supply store since it's past the gym, but I may go there this afternoon for some thick rubber horse stall mats....they make good gym flooring.

Today is "Small Business Saturday." Sherri works at a small fabric store in the middle of our towns "business district." They expect a good crowd and the weather isn't a factor today. The whole business district is 3 blocks long.

I've only been shopping once in the US on Black Friday, it was in Vegas years ago. It was a $45 cab ride to get from our hotel to the outlet mall, so much of it was in stop and go traffic that we both fell asleep in the cab. The cab driver drove in behind a dumpster at the mall to drop us off. It was worth it though, we don't easily get shopping deals like that in Canada. There was an asian woman in the Coach outlet store just throwing handbags into a full sized shopping cart.

We do have something similar to that here though. Boxing Day at the big outlet mall. I remember first trying to go there years ago, but traffic was so ridiculous I drove through the median for a U-turn and we went home.

Last year I told my wife I would take her but only in the evening even though it had opened at 9AM. Even at 6 or 7PM when we went it looked crazy. Despite the mall or municipality having placed big signs that any parking on road sides would be ticketed, the grass areas on both sides of the road showed signs that it had been full of cars, with many still there. It must have been insane earlier in the day.