And what did we buy today?

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Two reels of RTM SM900 1/4" recording tape on 10.5" aluminum reels - enough for 66 minutes of recording at 15ips, or not quite 2.25 hours at 7.5ips. It's getting hard to find presumably due to Covid disruptions. Got it from a recording supply house in Nashville. Good stuff, insanely expensive.

I want to try some ATR MD36 tape at some point will have to keep looking for someone who has stock, ordering from the manufacturer seems to be the only option currently. This tape is supposed to be as good as UDXL-II formulation. Not sure whether my current ATR calibration is right for this tape so I might have to get out the A810 manual to recalibrate the ATR setting. (The other one is for SM900)

A "Title Search" on an auction property.

Looking for that last place to live.

Learned on a 1964 VW Beatle. My dad made me pass his test first which included a T intersection with a 30degree slope where you had to ride the clutch after easing off the hand break to make it without stalling.

They eliminated "parallel" parking about 6 years ago here. We still have parallel parking spaces. What were they thinking?

Last edited:
Ugh. I don't like to parallel park. Every time I do, it feels like the first damn time. And I have to do it nearly every day, as my non-work vehicle is parked on the street. I just don't seem to get it.

I even learned the correct procedure and everything, and I've gotten marginally better at it over the years, but even now I'd say I'm at about 30% skill, 70% crap-shoot.

I wonder how some nice chrome curb feelers would look on a 2002 Nissan Altima? (Where'd I put that J.C. Whitney catalog...)

Thanks, PRR. I did grease the bar-chain often to try and comp some for the missing oil, but it cooked anyway. I was asking a LOT from that little electric saw; some parts of it were built tough enough and it would have finished the job, but others (like the 50 cent oiler part) were its undoing.

It does irk me that it pumped out a full tank and was workin' ok - but then after notice / refill - nothing.

I had a similar problem.

At least where I'm from, the majority of people at the "learn to drive age" are completely fearless and stupid and need all the help they can get. There is a minority of us who are already extremely anxious and need absolutely no help in being nervous or recognizing the dangers involved. What I (and a few other people I know) needed at age 16 was a little help in getting past the fear, not someone intentionally making it worse.

Hahaha totally!

My 1st tutor was an elderly lady, and after ceasing lessons with her a family friend who taught my sister to drive auto, told me she has a rep for scaring the bejeezus out of most nervy folks.
Every lesson my tutor tells me how well I am doing and how I have covered almost twice what most student do in 2hours, but my ego won't allow me to be cocky!

First two tries were in a 1974 Ltd wagon automatic with a 460 4 bbl. Instant fails both times.
Third try was in a beater 1968 Datsun 510 four on the floor. Zero demerit points in the Datsun.

I bought nothing today.

The Nissan/Datsun 510 sound interesting...I saw a 270 when I was a kid (rare over these parts), and the Datsun/Nissan Bluebird was a car despised in much of the UK.

I first learned to drive in my mates manual Ford Fiesta 1.1 ghia....Y reg so it was older than me, no power anything, and 4 gears.

I could fit my 6'3" self, into it, loads of room - nowadays I the cabins are tiny in comparison.

I would however, be quite happy to bag an auto pick up or yute, but again...slim pickings here in that regard...and narrow roads!

Just received my new toy, a Xantrex XFR 600-2 power supply. Max. 600 VDC @ 2A. Very small 19” housing for such an amount of power.

Regards, Gerrit

Attachments

• DAA63936-ED32-4BBB-BCF0-04C03E61C238.jpeg
    DAA63936-ED32-4BBB-BCF0-04C03E61C238.jpeg
    41.6 KB · Views: 179
I remember our driving instructor who would often fall asleep after a day of classroom work as an English teacher in the passenger seat of the Chevy Cavalier. We would all then go into quiet mode, and proceed as smoothly as possible in order to see how far we could drive before he’d wake up. Once we made it to SeaTac airport from Tacoma on hiway 99, some 30 miles.

A fiber optic ceiling kit for a night star ceiling. Has a “twinkle “ rotating wheel with 550 PC optics

3/4” poplar frame, 1/2” sheet styrofoam glued on top of that to punch thru with black fabric.
Hard to find black felt in the size I need about 88”X 172” and may have to find a stretchable
fabric to wrap and staple on the back side. A black Neoprene might work as I have a sample to check out

Using piano hinges with magnets and a few screws for security

Keep it up Big, you'll get it back! I just started back on the bike again after being away for a couple of years. I'm taking it slow & easy, but gradually everything is settling down again - heart rate is getting back into the useful range etc. Pretty soon I'll be trying some of my old nemesis hills in the area.

Speaking of which - bought a couple of tubes for the old Schwinn tonight. One for the road bag, one spare for the shelf.

Spill the tea, Cal.
Young man's confidence. I had already developed bad habits by then. I was just too cool to pass the tests.
nowadays I the cabins are tiny in comparison.
The Toyota Echo I inherited was gifted to my nephew as there simply wasn't a can opener large enough to get in and out easily.
Washing machine hoses.
A wise man, proactive. Not something to replace after it fails.

Today I will buy something. Just not sure what yet. :)