And what did we buy today?

I didn't buy a pair of little Wharfield speakers today for $5, or a vintage Elac turntable yesterday... but, I did get an Oppo DVD player for $10, and a couple of weeks ago, a home Minidisc deck for $5. (I figure the MD could work as an ADC/DAC.) Also, today, a huge Armaco pickup arm, missing the cartridge mount.

The Oppo is working out well. I patched the firmware to disable hdcp and now the hdmi input on my TV is usable again for DVDs.

Today I rescued a set of Bose Quietcomfort 15 NC 'phones from a recycling bin. No cord, though. Probably the only Bose most of us would admit to wanting.

Today I rescued a set of Bose Quietcomfort 15 NC 'phones from a recycling bin. No cord, though. Probably the only Bose most of us would admit to wanting.

Good snag! Spare cable sets and ear cushions are available from EBay sellers in China, etc., but not exactly cheap-cheap. Probably around $15..$30 for everything, which you can probably spread across a couple of headphones.

Just resell one working set for ~$100, and you'd have recovered the cost of everything *and* have several spares in stock.

100 of these bad boys...

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    38.6 KB · Views: 294
Last edited:
The Bose 'phones aren't dead, and using the tip and second ring on a 4-pole 3.5mm cable allows me to play music through them, and they sound pretty good. Noise suppression is very effective at low to mid frequencies, less so at high frequencies. However, one channel starts hissing after a while. It's not very loud, and sounds like soothing white noise. I can probably live with that... but I've heard rumours that Bose will exchange busted Quietcomforts for $100.

Maybe I don't have something configured properly, but the Oppo doesn't look that good compared to a cheapie Blu-ray player or the WDTV Live. The 1.2x zoom on the Oppo ought to be ideal for fixing non-anamorphic letterboxed DVDs, but there are distracting artifacts. Still pictures of line drawings in some DVD extras were badly blurred using the Oppo.

A neighbor gave me one Wharfedale Modus One-Six. Apparently something happened to the other one. Then I saw something similar on eBay...again just one...wasn't sure of the model number of mine...but I submitted a buy-it-now offer and he took it.

End of story is that I got a pair of nice speakers for $101.

Nice. I never should have sold my old Heathkit; of course it was nowhere near as nice as yours.

The oscilloscope I really want is always $6000. So I bought the $6000 oscilloscope I really wanted 30 years ago, now $205 USD on eBay in great shape:

Attachments

• oscilloscope.jpg
    oscilloscope.jpg
    370 KB · Views: 262
Last month , Yamaha DSP A1000, $15.
Last week, 2 pairs Realistic Nova 7's, $7.
Today pair of Celestion Ditton 110's , $5.
All from Sally Ann's, all work beautifully.
Also a pair of walnut Minimus 7's and Realistic MPA-20 from local charity sale $6.
Last year same charity sale yielded
NAD 7420PE and 5440 cd player, $20.
Technics 1200 MKII,w/audio technica cart in 7/10 condition, $195.
And finally a Realistic STA-90 in 9/10 condition garage sale $10.
Apparently I'm a collector.
I think this is turning into an obsession as all this is perhaps a tenth of the equipment in my sound room.

Last edited:
A few days ago on eSey auctions here in UK, a seller took inadequate care in his pics and description. I copied the pics and with Pshop made them legible, bid ta bit more than the £0.99 starter…no other bids. It proved to be when delivered what I hoped for; a very good set of top Japanese (Maruman) blade iron golf clubs running straight from a No1 to a sand wedge. .09pence each for the 11 irons!!! (They are actually worth in excess of £150.00)….V.V.V.PLEASED INDEED.