And what did we buy today?

Is that about the history of the Ford Mustang?
No Cal. That’s the result of having goofy kids.....:scratch2:

Btw, my ”Swedish” daughter gave birth to her first baby this morning. When I skyped her, I understood, she had won a superprize. A long and sometimes hard struggle gave her a son - Adrian.
I should by me a virtual cigarr ....:D

Bought a few things on the Aliexpress 11.11 sale. A new remote for the 15 year old DVD player I recently bought: fingers crossed that it works with it. An exterior car cover for the Corvette; chose the largest size to be sure it would cover the extra width of the car. A mirror dash cam for my wife's car.

Joined 2016
Paid Member
Thanks for your acknowledgments anatech, phase

The rep at the bank said congratulations and then asked "what are your plans now?". I thought it a slightly odd question though I guess she was meaning now that there will be a sizeable chunk of money left in the budget each month.

I was going to continue here with a rant about how many people (not exclusively young) do not understand the principles and practice of making and keeping to a household budget and who also then waste money paying interest on unsecured loans that were used to satisfy a need for immediate gratification while buying non-essentials ... but I just ended up sounding like grumpy old man.

Sadly, I don't think you/we can blame the (not exclusively young (youngsters) for it all.

Credit is thrust upon us all as a means to acquire spangled jewels of possession, HP for a new car, 8k TV, bluray, all manner of things.

Consumerism is pounded into the psyche of each and every one of us - and it takes significant force of will to resist the shiny goodness, that we are all told we need to be happy and content.

I am neither old nor young, and by no means frugal in my existence - I have squandered money on excesses in my lifetime, but also recognise the almost subliminal brainwashing metered out by media - literally everywhere.

But...

I dont own a car, I still have a regular DVD player, and 1080p 32" TV.

I have, over the last decade, paid off in excess of 25% negative equity, to arrive at a place where I am no better off than when I started, working in a warehouse for minimum wage, living in a property worth less than my first (except I am now an engineer, and have precious little financial benefit, relatively speaking, since everything has vastly increased in cost over than decade.
I also have no credit, other than a mortgage, and have an excellent credit score.

I blame credit culture and the sub prime collapse, its shockwaves permanently affecting my life. (And others lives)

I dont think the relative wealth (of 2005-2010), I felt, despite earning half what I do now, will ever return.

My private, compulsory pension, will certainly never afford me the retired lifestyle, that a great many of my peers are, and will enjoy (the 50s baby boomer generation), despite paying as much as I can afford into it; when weighing up the pros and cons of saving and paying down the mortgage.

I fear for my children's impending poverty, when they are old enough to earn a crust, and make their own way in life.

Ironically the south coast (where I was born and bred), is so vastly inflated in cost, I could never hope to afford to live in anything but a bus shelter.

Last edited:
Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Hi leadbelly,
I agree. I did not make out the paperwork. There is also no choice in the matter as sending it back and then here again would have come to approximately the same cost but with 3X the risk. I just have to try and explain this to the customs people.

-Chris

My house - paid off the mortgage
Feels good

Congrats. I know the feeling as on the 1st of Nov I paid off my house.

Now to pay off the new motorcycle and car I bought for retirement which should take place in one year.

Three year loan on each, and I hope to pay off the KTM 790 Adventure before I retire, and the Subaru Outback 36R the year I retire (36 month loan, but I have to wait to pay it off due to taxes).