And what did we buy today?

Cheese-and crackers!!! Well, that wasn't what I was really thinking - but you know. In my mind's eye I can picture it sizzling and burbling away, like a scene fit for one of the National Lampoon Vacation movies. But seriously, those fingertip injuries are usually incredibly painful, bleed profusely, and can last for a long time. I had a similar experience after honing all of my kitchen knives to a razor-like edge. One second I'm merrily slicing cucumbers, and the next second I'm thinking, "Gee, why is this cucum... ber... red?" I thought we'd run out of paper towels before the bleeding stopped.

With apologies to Jean Shepherd, I think when that drill hit my foot I wove a tapestry of obscenity that, as far as I know, is just now beginning to waft its way over the Appalachians.

And just to keep things on-topic, I also purchased a new pair of hiking boots to replace the ones I finally wore out after 5 years.

Oh and I almost forgot. A new belt for my Yamaha CS-70P TT arrived. As of now it runs at 34.1 rpm and with a little wow and flutter (the belt is old) so we'll see what happens with the new belt. I might do a quick post about it when I get to swapping and I'll try boiling the original belt too (which tightens them up). For science!
To fight the aging of the gum, just rub it with soap ( and water).
I learnt it from my first passion, aircraft model building with propeller actioned by long gum strings

those fingertip injuries are usually incredibly painful, bleed profusely, and can last for a long time

I can attest to the serious bleeding. The whole thing was like a scene in a horror movie. The hedge trimmer hit the fence, kicking backwards and slicing the tip off the little finger on the other hand. This caused me to fall off the ladder landing barefoot on a roofing nail buried in the grass left over from a hurricane induced re-roof job. The nail in foot had grabbed my attention and I didn't even notice all the blood squirting from my left hand until I needed both hands to pull out the nail. I only wound up with a tetanus shot and a gauze and tape job from the whole experience. I couldn't play my guitar for several months though.

Okay, now that is the most scary thing I've heard in a while......I can picture it sizzling and burbling away, like a scene fit for one of the National Lampoon Vacation movies...... Have you fixed that little defect?

I replaced the GFCI even though it tripped normally when a 4.7K ohm resistor was placed from hot to ground. Then several years later I tripped on the cord of a line powered weed eater knocking it into the pool. A similar bubbling reaction ensued, and again the (new) GCFI did not trip. I unplugged the weed eater and retrieved it from the pool, and left it in the sun to dry out. The next day it worked fine and it lived on for another year or so. I have been using the same cheap Homelite / Ryobi branded weed eater for 20+ years, due to it's light weight. They all live about 3 or 4 years before the motor fries because all the vents are clogged.

I'm guessing most of the violent reaction occurred inside the plastic housing and was confined to hot - neutral conduction activity, or conduction across the push to operate switch.

This all happened in Florida. We sold the house in 2014 and moved 1200 miles north. I still use the same kind of weed eater due to back and shoulder issues. I need the lightest one made even if it means dragging 100+ feet of extension cord behind me.

Last edited:

PRR

Joined 2003
Paid Member
..I thought we'd run out of paper towels before the bleeding stopped. ...

You don't need a lot of towel to stop even big bleeds. Apply Direct Pressure. Don't let up. On fingers I wrap a rubber band over the toweling for as many hours as it takes. Yes the blood circulation is reduced, and I may slack-off a minute every half-hour.

If the wound is dirty of course I discard the first bandage to wash it and let blood flush the deeper dirt, then re-bandage tight.

This is for capillaries. If you hit a major pipe, this will stanch the bleeding but you want a doctor to put your pipe back together.

That's right up there with cutting the tip of my little finger off with a hedge trimmer.
And when I flattened my pinky in an industrial punch press. Good thing the upper and lower didn't actually meet or I would be nine finger Cal.
DeWalt => De foot => De hospital. :p
Now that made me laugh. :D

I have oft quipped:
DeWalt
DeFloor
DeCeiling
No place it won't go.

Finally bought an oak board for my life-time project, the modular synth. The cabinet is based on my own standard - panels 7" in height and cabinet approx 19" wide.
I will do some drilling, screwing and glueing today. That'll be fun doing "on freehand" ...:rolleyes:

Attachments

• synthshelf.jpg
    synthshelf.jpg
    326 KB · Views: 142
Last edited:
I will be using cheap pine since I am looking at cabinet #3. The synth grows larger at a rate faster than I can make cabinets, so I sold cabinet #1 and #2 earlier this year. #3 will be much bigger and capable of holding Eurorack and 4U or 5U modules.

Two of my Eurorack "modules" are actually Behringer synths (Neutron and "D") which drop into a Eurorack case / power supply. Together they took up most of cabinets #1 and #2.

I will be building some vacuum tube modules (already breadboarded) which are larger and more power hungry than the Eurorack standard, hence the 19 inch rack width at 4U and 5U height sections. History says I will be rebuilding it again, so pine is the cheap choice.....you won't see mush of the wood anyway.

In post#2556 I mentioned ordering some Edcor small signal transformers for the vacuum tube synth modules. I was expecting the usual 6 to 8 week delivery times, but was surprised by a shipment email in less than a week. They were waiting for me when I returned from a vacation trip......let the VCA testing begin.

... those fingertip injuries are usually incredibly painful, bleed profusely, and can last for a long time ...

... I can attest to the serious bleeding. The whole thing was like a scene in a horror movie. ...

I jack knifed a pocket knife, with the end of my thumb between the blade and the case. Bleeding severely was an understatement - I knew I would be in big trouble, so I folded the hanging piece back over in place, and taped it up. I don't know how I stopped the bleeding, but it reattached, although it still looks mildly gnarly, even fifty years later.

I bought about 70 SMD/SMT trimmer caps, from a max of 3 pF up to about 30 pF max, on AliExpress this morning. I've been buying more passives off Ali Express lately. Prices seem better than Ebay, but the purchase process is not as polished. Still living dangerously, I've even bought some active devices that way.

Attachments

• IMG_20191001_093106475.jpg
    IMG_20191001_093106475.jpg
    56.2 KB · Views: 121
I always pop into a thrift store that is across from the bar I frequent.
On Tuesday I picked up a very dirty but well framed famous Karsh image of Winston Churchill for $5.
After cleaning the thick cigarette smoke staining on the glass, I now have a beautiful image which I have no doubt is an original Karsh print with a value of around $5k.

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
I just bought a one-way ticket for an amplifier back to it's owner. Just over $60, it was more than what I charged for the repair. At least this carrier doesn't smash things as a rule. It's worth a couple extra bucks to make sure it gets there in the same condition I shipped it in.

Sigh .... $60 bucks and nothing to show for it but a space left in the basement.

-Chris

Wow, quite a score on the Karsh. One of those artists that was more famous internationally than in Canada.

My recycling store visit less exciting, managed to be the 1st one to rummage through a new batch of LP's, so got a Billy Joel, Simon & Garfunkel, 2 Maria Muldaur's for $4. Looked through the hifi gear, but decided none were worth the space or cash.

Bought a box of Costco wine that's highly praised by word of mouth. Maybe I'll try some after I click "post".

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Some uPC1225H driver chips. I hope they are real, they look it (not laser etched).

I recently bought some TA7109AP chips, and they look absolutely like the real thing. I installed them and they appeared to work except for the high bias current (really high). So I was cleaning the flux off with Methyl Hydrate and happened to hit a chip ... and the lettering came right off. Damn it! Fakes again!

If I could find out what these were I might be able to use them. It could be they need darlington output transistors, that would cause high current with normal BJT outputs. The big problem is how inaccessible the transistors and ICs are, and how now fragile the PCB is. Some one else had previously replaced some outputs and one chip and the foil was coming off at the output transistors. You can't blame the previous guy too much, the way the transistors attach to the PCB encourages trace failure.

My only option is to design a new PCB using - guess what? uPC1225H driver chips. It'll be a lot cleaner than the originals, and more robust too! Alpine used them in many car amps during the time I did warranty service for them. The uPC1225H was a really nice driver chip, and the voltage range goes down just enough for this application. This will be an iron-on PCB pattern, a one-off. The victim? A really tiny Marantz 4220 quad receiver. It's in good shape and the owner doesn't want to lose it, so I'm estimating this project. I will not make any money on this, I know that already.

-Chris

A week ago I was given a present of a pair of Magnaplanar 0.5s!!! They are in excellent order cosmetically and electrically. Using them with a Bonsai NX amp and JC2 Clone.
Absolutely remarkably good. My memory of Maggies is limited to the very biggest model (under) driven by tubes...they were of no use - other than as draught deflectors.
These little maggies are great for voice and small classical works. But I still cannot wait to get my Joachim Gerhard speakers back on the road as it were. (I blew a speaker coil which had been bespoke wound to 4 ohms)