And what did we buy today?

Do you have a spare Moog/Radio-Schack MG1 to sell cheaply?

No. I was stupid enough to sell all of my analog synths in the 1980's when they were considered "junk" for like $200. I never had any Moog stuff though.

address to USPS with us ... I mean the seller of the chips?

The USPS is the United States Postal Service...they deliver the mail....which was sent from the chip seller.

I got most of my chips from this place:

Cabintech Global Home

The chips are actually made in Latvia which is closer to you than we are, so there must be a better distributor in the EU.

Semiconductor production - ALFA -Riga Latvia Europe

Go to the web site abovve and then click on application specific to find the synth chips.

Last edited:
Snap!

Speaking about "young age", I built my first tube amp 51 years ago at age 15.
Sounded great too, hooked up a turntable (ceramic cartridge) to it and had a blast.
It used a 50C5 output, 35W4 rectifier, and 12AT6 preamp.

At age 15 I did similar with 6V6GT output, 5Y3 rectifier and ECC35 preamp :)
It was 53 yeas ago. Crystal cartridge; no schematic, just my ideas.
Of course it was a gorgeous sound. It had no feedback so probably had lots of distortion.

Of course many of our projects from 50 years ago sounded great in our memories. I keep wondering if that "greatness" is enhanced by the passing of time.

I remember enough details to recreate one of my early guitar amps, so I keep telling myself to "just do it" but myself keeps finding excuses not to. Maybe I really don't want to know.

In high school electronics class (age 16) I made a serious guitar amp out of an old Stromberg Carlson PA amplifier. It made about 100 watts from 4 X metal 6L6's. We had the ability to measure power output then, but not distortion. We just cranked it up until the scope showed clipping, then backed up a little.

I annoyed the neighbors with that and a pair of DIY 4 X 10 inch speaker cabinets for a couple years until I sold it all. It did have a clean channel and a pair of them did make a rather nice sounding stereo, with one amp feeding each speaker cabinet. (again in my memory)

I was wandering the flea market at a hamfest a year or so ago when I spotted a well worn Stromberg just like those we had in high school. I bought it and want to recreate the big one from my past, but just haven't done it yet.

Just another Moderator
Joined 2003
Paid Member
Sharpness and depth of focus (or depth of field) are two different animals.

If you're making images from slides it's helpful to get a USAF projection slide and see which aperture yields the largest number of line pairs.

Unsharp masking helps quite a bit, but the jazzed up/hyper contrast images rarely imitate reality. (30 years ago I was making unsharp masks for view camera negatives.)

Definitely :) The image of the lens cap that was attached was taken at an angle if you look closely there is a very narrow band accross the lettering that is in focus and relatively sharp (as sharp as can be at 12800 ISO!) it is probably only a couple of mm wide. That is the dof wide open at the closest focus distance. The lens is also exceptionally sharp when used appropriately.

764530d1561296839-buy-extremely_shallow_dof-jpg

For digitizing slides the most important thing would be ensuring that the photo plane is absolutely parallel to the slides surface then the dof becomes irrelevant (assuming the slides are not showing curvature) and the sharpness is the only consideration :)

Tony.

Last edited:
Getting ready to fire up the old Aries modular synth this weekend for the first time in ~25 years, and suddenly realized - I don't have any patch cables that are worth a crap! Back in the day I wired a few normalled connections like keyboard CV to oscillators, gate/trig to ADSR, noise to sample/hold - all the normal stuff, heh. But that ain't gonna cut it past the first few minutes!

I remember getting a few cables with the module kits that really weren't very good, and I think I wired up a few more, but I'm damned if I can find any of them now. So here comes some nice new ones from Sweetwater (multicolored even!).

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
I traded a B&O receiver and a pair of Grundig speakers for a small DAC with the transformer on the same face plate, but in a different box. Novel. I hope the fella I traded is happy with the B&O. I refuse to work on them. It was an old 1960's transistor set and was the only one I liked the look of. It looked like a multi-band radio with some slide controls along the bottom in grey.

The DAC doesn't have a brand or serial number, just "PCM1796 MKII" across the face. It ha optical, coaxial and USB inputs. It sounded good so I upgraded the op amps and small film capacitors. It still sounds good. :)

-Chris

Okay well this doesn't really count, as I was about to buy a set of bookshelf speakers but due to the salesperson's bs I decided no thanks. Was going to get the Klipsch RP 600M that was advertised at a decent price, but then got the runaround and the upsale bs etc.

So to keep in context with the thread I bought gas for my car today, $32 CAD worth and a $2 50/50 ticket :)

Bought some pcb's from allpcb.
A couple of model railway projects.
One is a model railway shuttle controller.

The other is a station stop controller with two aspect signal controller driver.
Detects when train arrives, displays red signal then waits time determined by a trimmer, then powers track and sets signal to green until train passes then signal back to red.

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Hi Dave,
I have a pair of Klipsch R-15M on my bench that I recently bought. I think you should go in again when that salesman isn't there and just buy them. You will be happy.

I also bought the floor standing ones with the dual 6 1/2" woofers. They won't fit on the bench :( . But they sound great as well.

Nigel, cool hobby! I have a good friend that has had three projects on the front cover of model railroader magazine. Too bad you fellas are on opposite sides of the pond as you would have a lot to talk about.

-Chris

Nigel, cool hobby! I have a good friend that has had three projects on the front cover of model railroader magazine. Too bad you fellas are on opposite sides of the pond as you would have a lot to talk about.

-Chris

Its just a couple of things to sell on ebay as a hobby.

About 10 years ago I built my own layout and it was full of electronics.
Digital audio station announcement system.
Electronic destination display board.
A 4 branch layout automatic controller. It shifted trains between four branches while controlling points, speed, direction etc.

Hi Dave,
I have a pair of Klipsch R-15M on my bench that I recently bought. I think you should go in again when that salesman isn't there and just buy them. You will be happy.

I also bought the floor standing ones with the dual 6 1/2" woofers. They won't fit on the bench :( . But they sound great as well.

-Chris

Thanks Chris! The sale was going to be online but they are a brick and mortar audio store in Ontario. They advertised a pair of open box RP 600M online so I responded. The salesman said he would get back to me within the hour.. Four hours later he calls me to say that the ones they advertised are now sold, but because the ad was still up he could give me a good deal on a brand new unopened set for near the same price.
So of course they were now going to cost a bit more and now no free shipping as their site states, so that was going to add a lot extra as well etc. I think I'll just wait for the sales here during Boxing day come December etc. I've always disliked sales people who blatantly are trying to pull one over on you and bs you from what they firstly were stating or agreed to. I'd rather just walk and keep my hard earned $$$ and spend it elsewhere :)
Thanks for the insight I agree these new Klipsch are something serious for sure in their category and high sens as well.
Dave.

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
This wouldn't be Parts ConneXion would it? If not, then pop in to their web site and buy something there. Just click the link I left above.

I deal with these people semi-regularly and can say that they are honest and well intentioned. Somehow I don't think this was the place as I think most of what they have is open box (=great deals!). By the same token, I also know that it gets crazy in there at times and they haven't called me right back on occasion either. But this is the place where I bought the two sets of speakers (good deals, remember? :) ). I am sorry to hear that your planned purchase didn't come off like it should have.

-Chris