And what did we buy today?

I'm in an odd situation in which my house was broken into and they stole most of my audio stuff. My insurance company won't reimburse me the full value of what was stolen unless I buy a similar item of equal or greater value. But I've decided to replace everything with stuff I built, and they valued my NAD S100 at $700. So how do I build a preamplifier for $700? Well, it helps to spend $260 on a volume control and a selector switch, which I found here: Prices

Now, how much can I blow on a chassis?

Thorens TD145 for E 2,50 at a local thriftstore :)

As child #3 was born exactly a week ago I got to
spend more time at home and as blood is thicker
I guess i'll be spending more time on audio again.
The tracks are all wet so no racing the coming months :)

Planning to listen more to music through some of my analogue
equipment instead of the 7.1 x something watt sony amp sitting
underneath the telly and getting fed up with adjusting audio delay
through sloooooow menu's.....

Last edited:
Forgot about this thread, good thing you posted.

Hoping to revive it the coming months :)

You've got the cabinets as well or planning to build them?

Atm I'm thinking of a way to sneak bigger speakers downstairs
again but with the newborn I guess the misses will, as we dutch
say 'poke a stick in front of that' (een stokje voor steken) ;-)

Last edited:
Let them ripe ;)

Got a Marantz PM-78 for free yesterday evening with the remark that
there's prolly a diode dead.... Gotta love consumers who think they have a clue ;-)

marantz-pm78-001.jpg

I'm in an odd situation in which my house was broken into and they stole most of my audio stuff. My insurance company won't reimburse me the full value of what was stolen unless I buy a similar item of equal or greater value. But I've decided to replace everything with stuff I built, and they valued my NAD S100 at $700. So how do I build a preamplifier for $700? Well, it helps to spend $260 on a volume control and a selector switch, which I found here: Prices

Now, how much can I blow on a chassis?

Wow, sorry to hear that, what steps have you taken in the ways of security?

Quest center channel speaker, 6 dollars. A little surprising. I knew I had to buy it when I needed two hands to pick it up. :) The woofer code is 200 so not sure who makes it.

Attachments

• IMG_1566.jpg
    IMG_1566.jpg
    116.7 KB · Views: 472
  • IMG_1567.jpg
    IMG_1567.jpg
    81.9 KB · Views: 457
  • IMG_1568.jpg
    IMG_1568.jpg
    68 KB · Views: 456
  • IMG_1570.jpg
    IMG_1570.jpg
    55.4 KB · Views: 455
  • IMG_1565.jpg
    IMG_1565.jpg
    97.3 KB · Views: 360
200w rated? Only once... :D

Saw a KEF kht1005.2 system in a shop today, £80.

I'll be taking the drivers and crossovers from the satellites to make a boombox if I'm not satisfied with the one I'm currently working on.
Wait, who am I kidding. There's always room for one more boombox.

The subwoofer is currently residing under my bed for HT effects - its joining a 12" sealed JBL sub already in there.

Chris

I'm struggling to find any relevant results from Google on the speaker itself, though the Images results gives one woofer that looks similar to yours.

I'll keep poking around, though I suspect whoever it was is long gone...

I've also recently bought a Behringer 31 band graphic eq, and a Samson Servo 550 amplifier. The latter was ~£90 delivered, so I jumped on it. Similar models (of lower spec) were on buy-it-now for >£100.

Chris

Not today, but over the past few months....

A Swedish-made Sandvik 225 hacksaw for a couple of bucks at a flea market. Cuts flush like my trusty Klein, but weighs much less and doesn't need a screwdriver to change blades.

A bunch of DVDs from a video store that was closing down, priced around $2 each. Music related films included the documentary "So Wrong They're Right" about 8-track tape enthusiasts, a drama about Muslim punk rockers, "The Taqwacores", and "Roadie", the 1980 comedy starring Meat Loaf and featuring various live acts including Blondie and Alice Cooper.

Behringer Xenyx802 mini mixer, new in box from a garage sale, $25. I've been wondering what it would take to run it from 12V DC.

At computer recyclers in the Big City, an Audigy 2 drive bay module for $15 (front panel S/PDIF I/O, MIDI, 1/4" mic and headphone, RCA line ins, and Firewire), and a backup Audigy 2 ZS for $5.

A one week holiday in the Scottish Highlands.
Did my first Monro in over 30years. Did another and two tops in the same day.
I'm now a mix of strawberry red and walnut brown. Didn't take any sun block with me.
I now know one can get 7 days of continuous sunshine in the north west.