An awesome ZLCR meter

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi there I am a bit late on the tread

I suppose I could start the translation but as you say time is the issue.

At 84 pages it will take a while so be patient and time permitting I will do what I can.

One question

I am looking for a curve tracer for matching mosfets

So supposing that the power supply is beefed up what modification will be needed to test and match Mosfets?

Can any one help?

Al

Hi there

Just to let you know that I got same files Mark and Arvin

Tanks to Both

I had only a quick look but so far I cannot cut and paste on the original so pictures and lay out are a bit lost.

I will continue with the translation of the rest as in the first 7 pages will need to be done any way and then once cracked just cut and paste as planed.

If any one there know how please let me know (I am not that good with computers so ...)

Hopefully things should get more interesting further on, as the first seems to me just the introduction.

On PM shift next week so don’t expect much progress but on Nights the one after so I should be able to put a few hours work on it

Al

ZRLC Progress

I got same workable PDF files
And had a start.

There is quite a bit of information that in my opinion is not really useful.

I think that the last version may be the more interesting so I had a stab at starting the conversion.
Pages 62 to 68 show that the previous versions don’t work with speakers.

Same formatting problems on one of the pages so just copy that page from the original Is only 2 pictures of the PCB but those are probably the most interesting of the lot

Unfortunattley the 6 pages with pictures came to 650 dudas and to big for me to post

Al

Hi Bksabath,
Good work! - I like the jokes and arm waving stuff!
I don't know about others but the important part for me is pages 24 - 31 where he describes the calibration procedure - it would be really good to be able to read that.
Thanks a lot for your effort so far,
Simon

I don't know, but maybe this could be useful to somebody out there.....

I managed to get ZRLC to work with an SB Audigy card (the original Mk1 version) :
I turned off the auto-bias in ZRLC settings and put 1 and 0 respectively in the Bias, balance and phase boxes, and it worked.

Previously, it was getting stuck in a calibration mode, or would give a fluctuating readout of impedance value but never show an L,C or R value. This also caused nonsense values to get into the balance and phase bias calibration boxes.

For now I can use it without calibration, just the measured reference R values in the boxes. Since I mainly want to use it for inductance, which varies with signal level, I'm not so bothered about hair-splitting accuracy a the moment. However, it would be nice to get it set up right.

I used TL074 opamp for the interface with +/-12V power, that works fine.
Simon.

Caliration pages

Hi there
I have translated the calibration pages
I suppose that it could have been reduced to a couple of pages
But for now enjoy the reading
I have a couple more things going on at present but it looks like a pretty good gadget to have so it is now on my things to do list once it is built it may be convenient to re-write the lot

If you do the build I would definitely not skimp on the 5 or six resistors on the commutator the program can go down to the 4TH decimal place so it is worth to use really god ones here IMO 1% is the bare minimum RC55Y from RS would be my choice and You will need a spare set of matched for the calibration

I have a problem with posting the pages here maybe other members can help
I tried RTF and normal DOC format but as there are pictures on all apart from page 1 they are to big to load

I will be able to email those tomorow
Any moderator willing to help?

Al

Attachments

• Caliration pagesP1doc.doc
    23.5 KB · Views: 156
Last edited:
Hi there just a few more pages
Just remember that I am translating from the document
It is really funny at times
Not very professional but funny.
A proper write up may e a good idea once done.
The chap that wrote this mention that the original author did not find the time to write the user manual so IMO he deserve same gratitude
It has mine the yokes are meant in a nice way
In the real DIY spirit

Al

Attachments

• The ZRLC Analyser.doc
    70 KB · Views: 365
Hi Mickey

Grazie

Probably you may be able to find the major buboes if I had some bits wrong.
I think you may also agree that the original is a bit long winded.

Eventually it will be worth starting from the beginning and Simplify
For all

I have a 60 hours week on days coming up so don't expect much progress on it

But let me know which parts will be most useful please

Jez:
Great site, thanks!

Al:
I do not speak a word of Italian. But the babelfishythingy, dictionary.com, 6 lost years of high-school latin and my wife helped me out (btw the "al" in my last sentence of post #53 should have been "e", details!.
I read the articles because I wanted to know if the VA and ZLRC are worth designing circuits and boards for. They are, if as advertised!
I will be ordering boards next week and, once tested, I will make the Gerbers and BOM available to the forum here.
Al: I wrote many tech. instruction manuals in my time and be happy to help out once you are further along your (littaral) hillarious translation.
Cheers, E

My little article as guide

Hi

I have done an article to get this gadget up and running.
Some tests with this simple hardware and powerful software. Its called Cheap ZRCL Meter in practice

I don't see how to upload it to be a part of other articles in DIY Audio so I attach it here in the meantime.

Hope it help someone.

Attachments

• Cheap ZRCL Meter in practice.zip
    565.7 KB · Views: 475
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.