• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

Amplifier Market Changing

You'll go mad & end up running around in circles till you disappear up your pipe trying to research audio online without any hands on practical experience if your not careful : ) In my experience as regards home audio if you want high power, loads of watts, you can't beat a decent transistor PA power amp, like a Crown, QSC or Skytec. Check out some of the vintage TOA PA amps, quite a few have an OPT in them as well as several IP modules.

Appreciate the input and agree with going crazy. Though I might already be, I am Autistic after all. :p

To get into valve amp if you look on Ebay for OPT's you'll probably find quite a few low power SE OPT's pulled out of radiograms and the like that don't cost much. There are quite a few proven 3-5w SE designs floating about, I'd recommend building something like that as a first amp. Together with a home built active Xover such as the ones on Rod Elliot's site it's possible to build a bi/triamp set up for not much dosh..

Good to know, especially about the site. I had not even considered building an active crossover or equalizer. Think is so many to choose from: https://sound-au.com/p-cat.htm#xvr.

Hope that helps, Andy.

It sure does and is appreciated, thank you.

Analogies:

KT150 . . . Transmission for a 1500 Horsepower dragster, it has to work for 6 seconds
KT88 . . . . Transmission for a 500 Horsepower sports car
EL34 . . . . Transmission for a 300 Horsepower family sedan
EL84 . . . . Transmission for a 120 Horsepower gas saver city cruiser

All those tubes, cars, and all those transmissions, work extremely well when used at the limits they were designed for.
The tubes sound great, and the cars get you to where you are going (well, the dragster is lucky to finish the 1/4 mile).

So what equates to my 64HP Volkswagen Squareback? :p (Being silly).

Back to being serious, this is a great explanation and jives with the information I have read. It makes me happy as others can benefit from a very clear and creative analogy.

Many amplifiers use the output tubes at 50% to 100% of their maximum power capabilities.
Some guitar amplifiers use the output tubes at 150% of their maximum power capabilities.

To go back to the automotive analogy, running a tube at part power be like my Dad driving his 40HP Beetle no more than 45MPH, even on Southern California freeways, that engine lasted for about 250,000 miles! NOS tubes are of course in a ever limited supply, so running them at 150 percent does not seem a prudent choice.

Speaking of tube voltage, the question I have now knowing how to set B+ voltage, Load Z, Vp, Vk, Rk, Ik, Diss (idle); will have to keep reading the information generously provided.

which amply best , solid state or tube???

Depends on design parameters and application.

For example, tubes don't have the damping factor of SS and the OPT limits low frequency response (often if changed to a OPT for better low frequency the high frequency is clipped lower), so sometimes bi amping with the woofer driven by SS and the main and tweeter driven by tubes produces a better result. YRMV

Reactions: 1 user
Joined 2020
Paid Member
So-

I'm kind of dizzy reading this thread...

IMO, the OP needs to get a soldering iron and practice....

Then-

Slow down with the key punching and build something....

Listen, tweak, modify, learn...

Theres lots of good info and people here... don't get out over your skis with googl-ey theories.. Most are worth exactly what you paid for them;)

Jim

ps. double spaced so it would take you lil longer to read - lol

My advice would be to build something like the RH-Universal or the KT88 SE amp by Mikael Abdullah or version of it. They are well documented, good sounding, and relatively easy to build. If you build a KT88 amp buy a power transformer with the most current capacity you can afford. That way you can use it on your next amp! Same with the OPTs, get nice ones. They are critical. There are some decent ones on AliExpress for not terrible money, shipping is expensive. OPTs are like tires, you can have a huge engine but with crap tires you cant get the power to the ground, same with OPTs. Don’t go crazy with special caps or resistors, the ROI is minimal especially for a first amp. Don’t obsess on tiny details, enjoy yourself. Analysis paralysis is the enemy of fun and results!

Yes? I am listening.

I'm kind of dizzy reading this thread...

I suggest sitting down before falling over. :p

IMO, the OP needs to get a soldering iron and practice....

I am basically there, need the updated schematic, create a parts list, and order. Finding a recommendation to build as is and then maybe build as is resonates with me (that may be a pun :p ).

Still listening.

Slow down with the key punching and build something....

I have restrained myself from writing far more. Look how long I have waited for the speakers to be modeled. ;)

Listen, tweak, modify, learn...

If you know not the why, how can there be understanding? It be fantastic if I had the funds to built both a SE and a PP to compare, however, I don't. So, asked a question or two and have decided on PP using EL84 tubes for about 10 watts a channel, per the recommendations here.

Theres lots of good info and people here... don't get out over your skis with googl-ey theories.. Most are worth exactly what you paid for them;)

Fully agree, it is because of the generosity of the folks and the plethora of information that has led to me asking questions. If after I had given the design perimeters and told what to build, probably would have at the possible detriment of not understanding.

ps. double spaced so it would take you lil longer to read - lol

Triple spaced to show I am responding slowly. :p ;) :LOL:

My advice would be to build something like the RH-Universal or the KT88 SE amp by Mikael Abdullah or version of it. They are well documented, good sounding, and relatively easy to build. If you build a KT88 amp buy a power transformer with the most current capacity you can afford. That way you can use it on your next amp! Same with the OPTs, get nice ones. They are critical. There are some decent ones on AliExpress for not terrible money, shipping is expensive. OPTs are like tires, you can have a huge engine but with crap tires you cant get the power to the ground, same with OPTs. Don’t go crazy with special caps or resistors, the ROI is minimal especially for a first amp. Don’t obsess on tiny details, enjoy yourself. Analysis paralysis is the enemy of fun and results!

That is what I was originally considering, however, I was dissuaded from it.

As I said, I don't have the ability (money and time) to build multiple systems. I rather build a system paired with the BIBs that I will not have the desire anytime soon to replace. I am tired of adjusting systems, rather do more listening of LPs.

Speaking of transformers, IPTs is also where I am partly stuck, does dual mono bocks (left and right channels sharing the IPT) have the same specification as the stereo version?

Joined 2020
Paid Member
If you know not the why, how can there be understanding?
The 'why' is in your opening post. What I'm offering is a path to answering that Q, professor.
and have decided on PP using EL84 tubes for about 10 watts a channel, per the recommendations here.
Thats a splendid starting point- It's hard to build a bad EL84 amp. I built the Audionote design and loved it- below...
Jim

Attachments

• ANK EL84 rev e.jpg
    ANK EL84 rev e.jpg
    93.9 KB · Views: 75
The 'why' is in your opening post. What I'm offering is a path to answering that Q, professor.

I am not tracking...
Thats a splendid starting point- It's hard to build a bad EL84 amp. I built the Audionote design and loved it- below...

I was just looking at this and at first glance, looks really similar, both dual mono blocks?
Ultralinear-EL84amp.jpg

Would you please be willing to help with Audionote build?

Schematic I'm familiar with shown previous...
To the point, whichever way you go... Get the BOM, heat the iron... and build something already
Have fun,, be safe- this hobby can kill the careless...

Jim, sorry to confuse you, just thought it was trippy experience.

Already looking on Mouser and working on a parts list, trusting you would help. Hopefully I didn't mess this up.

A little overwhelming all the brands to choose from! Thinking best to shoot in the middle.

By the way, some of the text on the schematic isn't legible.

Neat, appreciate sharing. I have realized point to point give an additional cost savings and freedom, plus better quality. The thing now is choosing a design and then finding parts
I built the Tubelab SPP twice. On the PCB first time, then translated the design to P2P in an old cooking tray so I could compare like for like if I got into problems. The passive components are not so expensive to order sufficient for 2 builds, often '10' of something is the same price as '5'.

I built the Tubelab SPP twice. On the PCB first time, then translated the design to P2P in an old cooking tray so I could compare like for like if I got into problems. The passive components are not so expensive to order sufficient for 2 builds, often '10' of something is the same price as '5'.

Okay, good to know, appreciated. As stereo or mono block? Steph of Skunkie Designs is concerning demonstrating the conversion of the circuit board though has not materialized, additionally, my preference is point to point. I am all ears. :)

Since @oemcar offered assistance versus a recommendation, proceeding with the Audio Note L1 clone, which of course greatly appreciate (I know I am a dense and difficult personality, trying to correct that).

For those folks also needing tube specifications:
https://frank.pocnet.net/sheets/019/e/ECF80.pdf
https://frank.pocnet.net/sheets/019/e/EL84.pdf

In this case, minimum heater amps is = (2*0,43amps)+(2*0,76amps)=2,38amps.

The trouble is the differences between the diagrams, one has voltages labeled and one does not. The one labeled has ECF80 plate voltages of 89VDC and 198VDC, neither the 170VDC specification. So which is correct? If the former, how many milliamps? Again, same for the EL-84, the biggest concern is the table of 325VDC, exceeding the specification of 300VDC. Which is correct and if the former, how do we adjust so as to get to the 300VDC and therefore known amperage?

Without this information, the parts can't be ordered and satisfy those desiring the build to proceed. ;)

Thanks in advance! :)