• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

Amp in IKEA chassis

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
767734d1562919874-photo-gallery-6l6_0-jpg

Another IKEA chassis and mains transformer cover.

Attachments

• 6l6_0.jpg
    6l6_0.jpg
    265.3 KB · Views: 2,589
  • 6l6_6.jpg
    6l6_6.jpg
    139 KB · Views: 127
  • 6l6_5.jpg
    6l6_5.jpg
    211.5 KB · Views: 133
  • 6l6_4.jpg
    6l6_4.jpg
    109.7 KB · Views: 101
  • 6l6_3.jpg
    6l6_3.jpg
    118.6 KB · Views: 483
  • 6l6_2.jpg
    6l6_2.jpg
    168.8 KB · Views: 499
  • 6l6_1.jpg
    6l6_1.jpg
    281.7 KB · Views: 494
  • variera-bak-voor-keukengerei__0173161_PE327252_S4.jpg
    variera-bak-voor-keukengerei__0173161_PE327252_S4.jpg
    18.5 KB · Views: 141
  • ezgif-1-f06fa1ef2188.jpg
    ezgif-1-f06fa1ef2188.jpg
    22.8 KB · Views: 134
Joined 2016
Paid Member
Bas congratulations for the original work on your casing!

I'm just not sure how bamboo get older when it get very dry due to amplifier heat. Not wanting to make you afraid, I have no personal experience, besides everything "flush-jointed" that I have built from wood moves with the time.

Thanks! We will see how time treats this. I was actually suprised to see that the bamboo is actually bamboo veneer on mdf or something...and on the inside looks almost plastic with a bamboo look.

Veneer is sanded by me because of the horrible looking lacquer....and then treated with boiled linseed oil.

PS. Schematic is once again TubeCad PP EL84...20k resistors for the 6n1p. STPSC2H12D rectifiers in power supply. And STPSC2H12D in the cathode of the first stage.

Last edited:
frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
I was actually suprised to see that the bamboo is actually bamboo veneer on mdf or something...and on the inside looks almost plastic with a bamboo look.

We get a lot of bamboo flooring like that, but one can get proper bamboo (plywood here, harder to find in Europe i understand).

Seme of my favorite binding posts on that amp Bas.

dave

I like good connectors like that. But it is hard to understand why they call it a ‘5’ way Binding Post:

Insert a Banana Plug
Insert a Wire in the Hole
Use a Spade Lug
Insert a Pin in the Hole

That is only 4 ways.

Oh, wait . . . Wrap a Wire around the Post (now who ever does it that way? ? ?)
I am A-Frayed of that method.

Ok Dave. I won't pretend to understand that viewpoint.

Either way, I've used both types to work, the Pomona break easily (on test equipment, where they're changed often)

These accept 4mm banana in the top and through the post, which is useful.
The most annoying thing is that the knob screw off completely (annoying when they are lost on site somewhere)

Both are gold plated brass.

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
I rarely use the pedestrian Pomona 5-way posts, but love their dual banana. I use the 5-way posts like on Bas’ last amp here.

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

Or in a pinch i use these (but with the 3/4” spacing chassis “washers”).

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

dave

767734d1562919874-photo-gallery-6l6_0-jpg

Another IKEA chassis and mains transformer cover.

...ohhhh Bas that's again an amazing beauty !!!!! When they look so nice amps sound also better !!!!! By the way I don't think so you going to have problem with the heat of the amp, the bamboo and any other wood are treated by Ikea in a way that will last really a long time. I bought an Ikea kitchen in Germany and assembled by myself here in Philippines, tropical climate here is really tough, with humidity reaching 97%, well Ikea cabinet after 10 years are immaculate..:) ....anyway well done again really admire your design...all the best

...ohhhh Bas that's again an amazing beauty !!!!!
Thank you very much for the compliments! :D

That switch between the two OT's.......?
On/Off and I agree it is not a very good place for that switch. I just don't like bringing it all the way to the front. I thought briefly about putting it on the "superstructure" but that is removeable...and would make taking it off a chore.

I see they sent you a link. Now that I have it ...I realize a delayed switch on.... is good enough... the slow voltage ramp up is nice to have but certainly not necessary...IMO.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.