Amp Camp Pre+Headphone Amp - ACP+

Joined 2019
Paid Member
ACP: CAP-TASTIC EDITION!

The past few months I've been slowly learning Kicad and doing some PCB layouts for fun. I originally decided I wanted to make a dual rail (bipolar supply) version of the ACP. It turned out really nice, but its not an ACP anymore. ACP is one of my favorites, so I decided to take a shot at a more 'by the book' version, which is what you see here. It turned out well and sounds fantastic (just like the original).

For the most part its the stock circuit, though I did tweak a few things:

- Added some gate resistors to the LTP (ode to ZM :))
- Swapped a K170 for the J113 (got 'em, so figured I'd use 'em)
- Added space for bigger input cap
- Added options for output cap (cap-tastic, amirite?!)
- No headphone jack

Like other little projects I've done, I made this to accommodate parts I had on hand and with my own preferences in mind. That said, I at least wanted to offer the gerbers in the event someone else shares my preferences and wants to build with them.

I've built a copy and had no problems, but I'm a greenhorn amateur so proceed at your own risk :)

*Edit* If you look at the traces pic, you'll probably notice a few spots that appear to have no connection. The board has a ground plane on the bottom side, which is where they attach.

Attachments

• ACP-CT-traces.png
    ACP-CT-traces.png
    281 KB · Views: 530
  • ACP-CT-board.jpg
    ACP-CT-board.jpg
    413.1 KB · Views: 499
  • ACP-CT-build.jpg
    ACP-CT-build.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 504
  • ACP-CT-rta01.png
    ACP-CT-rta01.png
    131.7 KB · Views: 542
  • Gerbers-ACP-CT-rev1.zip
    76.2 KB · Views: 101
  • ACP-CT-schem.png
    ACP-CT-schem.png
    219 KB · Views: 541
Last edited:
Joined 2008
Paid Member
That’s very nice work, codyt! Well done.

I finally put together my ACP+ this afternoon. Sounds lovely so far.

No hiccups or problems with building and testing it. Excellent kit, documentation, and tips from Nelson and the diyAudio store gang. Thanks to you all!

Bare PCB stereo components are cool. :D

Attachments

• E7659AA2-C7B5-4748-8232-2944F66291DA.jpg
    E7659AA2-C7B5-4748-8232-2944F66291DA.jpg
    658.7 KB · Views: 279
Last edited:
Joined 2008
Paid Member
Wow

The ACP+ has really opened up my system… Everything is just a bit much more engaging. All these performers are IN my living room, from Sergei Rachmaninoff, to Ella Fitzgerald, to the Alan Parsons Project, to the Talking Heads, to Leo Kottke, to Buckwheat Zydeco, to Shivaree, to the Buena Vista Social Club, to The Delegators, to Parov Stelar, to Tame Impala… All are welcome and enjoyed. :D

I love this crazy hobby.

Hi,

I've run into a bit of an issue using my just completed ACP+ as a preamp. Depending on the amp I'm using I either get distortion out of both channels or no distortion but sound out of only one channel. (An F5, in the first instance; an ACA, in the second.)

At all the test points mentioned in the First Watt article my ACP+ is right where it's supposed to be. And, more importantly, as a headphone amp it's performing flawlessly. But as a preamp... weirdness. Naturally, as a relative newb to all this, I'm perplexed.

Does anybody have any suggestions to offer? I'd really like to get this thing up and running as a preamp to see how it compares to last year's Christmas present to myself, a Korg B1. (Inquiring minds want to know, and all that.)

Thanks.

Joined 2001
Paid Member
Well maybe. If it was in front of me and thought it may be bad / damaged RCA's I would temporarily wire around them and see what kind of result I got. (Actually I would probably take it to work, feed a sine wave in and trace the signal with an o-scope on my break time) I guess that's cheating..

Thanks, William,

Unfortunately, I don't really have the knowledge or equipment for all that. I guess I'm going to have to give this a think...

Maybe I should start by taking another look at my soldering, possibly tidy things up at the RCAs, if needed, and see where things stand after that. I think everything was kosher back there but, hey, you never know.... At least it's something to try.

I'm all ears here if anybody else has any other ideas.

Thanks again.