Amp Camp Pre+Headphone Amp - ACP+

Official Court Jester
Joined 2003
Paid Member
no need to change anything, if you add trimpot to series resistor, except from cosmetic reasons

all numerous happy Campers, having original FW J2, for instance, are listening happy notes, pushed across trimpot , connected in drain of input JFet

trimpot in CCS, much less critical position

go figure

reminder - how to do

instead of 51, use whatever you have, just recalc voltage sag for 10mA

Attachments

• J113 CCS.png
    J113 CCS.png
    17.8 KB · Views: 426
You're not measuring resistance. You're measuring voltage across the resistor. That can only be done if the circuit is powered on--either in a test jig, or on the actual PCB.

But yes, after you have the right voltage/resistance combination to equal 10mA you can desolder and measure the resistance so that you can order one resistor of the right value.

I'm no expert but I wonder if leaving the pot in place wouldn't be ok too.

I perhaps expressed myself wrong. Sorry for the confusion.

- I understand I would need to solder the pot or the pot + resistor
- I understand I measure the voltage drop not only in-circuit, but operating
- I move the trim pot to required value

At this point I:
A. NEED to desolder both and measure their resistance off-circuit to determine the correct resistance to purchase, or...
B. COULD measure the resistance of the pot or pot+res in circuit (not turned on) in order to purchase the correct resistance, but keeping the working pot+res in place until they arrive (which will be a month or so)

So, the question is, could I measure the end resistance of the correct values without desoldering to avoid having to resolder those until I get the correct valued resistors?

Thanks agian.

Official Court Jester
Joined 2003
Paid Member
Thanks! Makes perfect sense. So, still I would need to put in R4 something lower than the recommended value, or else I would not be able to overcome the offset, right?

it really depends

if you have JFet with higher Idss, you need more than original value of R4

and the other way

no use of babbling, go figure it in vivo

:clown:

I

So, the question is, could I measure the end resistance of the correct values without desoldering to avoid having to resolder those until I get the correct valued resistors?

Thanks agian.

I too need to find out the right values for R4.
You can do that on the PCB, but soldering and desoldering parts can leave a mess on the board. If you have a 12V power supply you can determine R4 with a breadboard. Breadboard - Wikipedia. No soldering required. Another advantage of this method is that you do not accidentally fry other components while experimenting.

Joined 2010
Paid Member

I just stuck the resistor in the board, bent the legs just a bit to make sure they made contact, and measured the voltage drop. No soldering necessary until you have found the right resistor value.

I might be mistaken. I think the guy was on Audiogon, been fixing amps for ages, if I temember correctly, and also making custom silver cables on order. Last I saw his site he had stopped. But now I can’t find it. Maybe his name was not Audiobear after all. But I think he was from Alaska, and the nick played on that, bears and all :clown:

Last edited: