Amp Camp Pre+Headphone Amp - ACP+

Joined 2011
Paid Member
> I'm curious to know: how much would you pay "punkydawgs" or "fetaudio" another seller, to do the work for you? You pay him money and he sends you two little ziptop envelopes, each envelope contains 1 JFET and 1 resistor. Each envelope creates a 10.0 mA (± 5%) current source?

E-103 Semitec | Mouser

E103 datasheet guarantees (8mA <= Current <= 12mA) which is a ±20% tolerance. Finicky DIYers demand better.

What seems a bit strange to me is that it seems that to reach Id = 0 a typical value for Vgs is -1.5V for J113. 10mA in 125 ohm gives a Vgs = -1.25V? …..if that value gives Id = 10mA for NP's J113 it is a bit away from typical value?

So....have to finetune this when building the amp....

Will look at J112 with this in mind.....
If I get 1000 (to get them at low price) the J112 may be the most "all purpose" of them for preamp use?

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
Here's a dumb question if the circuit produces 1 watt at 32ohms how many watts will it produce for an 8ohm load? I'm definitely going to try it out with my old Fortes.

In theory 8/32 * 1 = 0.25 watt.

I couldn’t find an impedance curve but what i could find was that it is a typical Klipsch with wildly swinging impedance. A more important question is what the outpu timpedance of the ACP+ is.

dave

The one and only
Joined 2001
Paid Member
How is the J113 selected for the CCS of the input stage?
When I read the datasheet J113 has a min. Idss = 2.0 mA. Those can't be used as a 10 mA CCS? …..you need one with a bit higher than 10 mA Idss? …..are there many of those among J113 in a batch?
J112 has min. Idss = 5.0 mA so some of those could also be used?

Forget those minimum numbers on the data sheets. The lowest Idss I
have seen on J113 is about 6 mA after testing thousands, and that was
only from a couple lot codes. Most of them have Idss in the 20-30 range,
and the J111 is a lot higher than those.