Amp Camp Amp - ACA

What wire gauge sizes are ideal for the ACA? All I have outside of speaker wire in colored stranded wire is 18 gage unless I go scrap from work which is going to be about the same size or way too heavy. The only other wire I have, which is Teflon coated in two colors is about 22 or 24 gauge. I imagine the thin Teflon wire could be used for the input at least, yes?

AWG 22 is 0.3mm2 it is a bit thin for use where there is "current" (e.g. PSU and output to speakers, ground wires etc.). It is fine for input.

For PSU, speaker output I would use at least AWG 17 (1 mm2) or thicker. It depends on how long the wire has to be and how practical it is to use at a specific place. AWG 13-14 is (2 - 2,6 mm2). Thicker than that for the ACA would be "overkill" for the internal wiring where current is limited and wire distances short.

MrBoat-

Use whatever you have, the distances involved are not that large. You can always double up the wire if you want more current capacity.

22 is wonderful for input and leds

Thank you all.

I found a length of 14awg tinned boat cable I found I can use for the supply side. I was missing a whole bag of assorted mill ends but I found it, so now I have more choices.

Here is schematic 2 ......it was released by 6L6........when ACA was released.

It has lower gain than the original ACA and higher damping factor.

Do you think it is ok also in this schematic to multiply R11, R12 by 2 to get Rin = 20k?

The circuit board layout is different, but I like to believe that great minds think alike. :)

But someone should talk to them about version numbers, because they keep using them, but I don't think it means what they think it means… :O

Attachments

• IMG_4634.jpg
    IMG_4634.jpg
    808.8 KB · Views: 845
The circuit board layout is different, but I like to believe that great minds think alike. :)

But someone should talk to them about version numbers, because they keep using them, but I don't think it means what they think it means… :O

I also wondered why the latest ACA was not version 1.2.....but still 1.1.....

Last edited by a moderator:

6L6

Joined 2010
Paid Member
I also wondered why the latest ACA was not version 1.2.....but still 1.1.....

Because the schematic and circuit is the same on the above board and the one for the new kit, just the layout is different. (Mosfets off the short ends instead of one of the long sides)

So the guy who did the PCB layout (initials NP) was working off the same schematic, and I suspect it said 1.1

I'm willing to give him a pass (hahahahahahaha!) on this particular omission. :) :) :) :D :D :D

Last edited: